TERRY, Felix .Grundy C.S.A.

                                  Captain Felix Grundy Terry, C.S.A.

 Felix Grundy Terry was born in Christian County in 1838 to Abner Robinson and Eleanor Dyer Terry. The family moved to the the Wallonia Precinct in Trigg County, in 1842, and to Cadiz in 1844. In September, 1861, he joined Co. D of the 8th Regiment of the Kentucky Infantry at Montgomery County, Tennessee as 2nd Lt. In October he was promoted to 1st Lt. and the company was moved to Hopkinsville. In January of 1862 the company moved to Fort Donelson, where they first saw service, and where Lt. Terry was wounded and sent to the hospital at Nashville. He joined Johnson's Command as they retreated through Tennessee and in October of 1862, the 8th was re-organized at Jackson, Mississippi, with Terry being promoted to Capt. of Co. D.

  In the spring of 1863 Co. D was at Big Black Bridge and defended this important crossing of the Black River against enemy cavalry. After the battle of Vicksburg in 1863, Company's D, C, and F were consolidated and Capt. Terry was assigned as ordnance officer of the brigade, which joined Gen. Forrest at Tupelo, Miss. for raids in Kentucky and west Tennessee.  In the fall of 1863, at a raid at Paducah, Col. Thompson was killed by a shell and his flesh and blood were scattered over Capt Terry who was riding at his side. In the spring of 1864 at the battle of Guntown, Tennessee, Capt Terry, acting Inspector General on Bufford's staff was in the rout of U S forces under Sturgis when 3000 union forces were killed, wounded, or captured.  In Nov. 1864, the brigade, under Col. Ed Crossland, with Capt Terry as Assisant Adjutant-General took part in the following engagements: Laurenceburg, Butler's Creek, Campbellsville, Columbia, Maury's Mill, Spring Hill, Franklin, Nashville, Smyrna, Murfreesboro and all subsequent encounters on the retreat. In January to March of 1865 they moved to intercept raids at Selma and Demopolis, Alabama. At a three day running fight at Montevallo, Ala. nearly half of the 8th was killed, wounded, or captured. Of the 8 Trigg County boys remaining was Capt. F. G. Terry.

  In 1865 he returned to Cadiz and opened a drug store and was in that business until his death. He held the office of Town Trustee and Trustee of High School, and was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. In 1868 he married Rebecca Dyer in a double wedding with his sister, Lucy and W. C. White. He died in 1926 and is buried in East End Cemetery in Cadiz.

Submitted by Stan White of Cadiz, Kentucky - Great grand nephew