HARRELL, Pinkney B. - C.S.A.
November 5, 1923
Two Gallant Confederate Soldiers Claimed By Death On Same Day
Pinkney B. Harrell Died Monday Morning At The Age of Eighty Eight
Honored citizen Who Had Resided In Trigg County All his Life
Mr. Pinkney B. Harrell, honored citizen and retired farmer, died Monday morning at 8:30 at his home on the highway three miles west of Cadiz.

Pneumonia caused his death. While he had not been in robust health for a long time, yet he continued to go about among his friends and only a few weeks ago visited his daughter in Cadiz. He was taken ill two weeks ago, and his weakened condition due to advancing years was too much to resist the serious attack of pneumonia which took him away.

Mr. Harrell was born on August 10th, 1835, and was reared on Donaldson creek in Trigg county. In early life he was employed in the lumber business with the late William D. Grace, but soon thereafter engaged in farming and was a farmer the remainder of his life until he retired because of advanced years.

In 1865 he was married to Miss Adline Dixon. To this union twelve children were born, but only two are now living. There are Mrs. Edward Guier, west of town, and Mrs. George H. Adams, of this city. The wife died November 24th, 1894, but he continued to reside at his home place on the pike three miles west of Cadiz, and it was there that he breathed his last Monday morning.

Mr. Harrell was a gallant Confederate soldier in the war between the states, and was in the service much of the time during the conflict. He enlisted in the 50th Tennessee Volunteers early in the war and was in the fight at Fort Donaldson, helping to build the fort. He was captured in the battle which was early in '62, and was taken to prison at Camp Douglas, Ill. He was kept in prison for several months, but later was taken to Vicksburg and exchanged. He re-enlisted in the war at Jackson, Miss., and was also at Port Hudson, La. He came home on a furlough in September, '62, but returned to his command later and was in the battle of Missionary ridge and saw the battle of Lookout Mountain.

In point of years he was perhaps the oldest Mason in Trigg county. He took much interest in the fraternity and attended all the meetings when possible to do so.

He lived to be recognized as one of the "Grand Old Men" of Trigg county. He was held in high esteem by all; loved his friends and delighted in their company; read a great deal and delighted in the discussion of public matters, and was ever true to his political professions as a member of the Democratic party, and on his last visit to Cadiz discussed the matter and looked forward to another opportunity to vote for his part this year.

Funeral services were held at the home Tuesday afternoon at two o'clock conducted by Rev. John T. Cunningham, of Princeton. The Masons were in charge of the burial service, which followed the funeral at Lawrence grave yard near his home.