HISTORY OF TRIGG COUNTY
CHAPTER I. - II - III - IV - V - VI - VII - VIII - IX - X -XI - XII
CADIZ TOWN AND PRECINCT
CADIZ TOWN AND PRECINCT.
DR. THOMAS L. BACON was born January 19, 1832, in Halifax County, Vs.; be is the eldest child of Charles A. and Susan (Rowlette) Bacon; the former was born February 15, 1807, in Charlotte County, Va., now a resident of Roaring Springs: the latter was born in Halifax County, Va: she died in 1841. In 1832 the parents removed to Montgomery County, Tenn., remained there one year, then came to Christian County, where they remained till 1846; they then removed to Trigg County where his father now resides. At about the 'age of twenty-two he commenced the study of medicine with Dr. John C. Metcalf, of Christian County, and later attended the medical department of the Louisville University; there he graduated in 1855; be then commenced the practice of medicine in North Christian; remained there but a short time, and removed to Princeton, where he practiced about one year. In the fall of 1856 he removed to Henderson County; there practiced his profession till 1860; he then went to Philadelphia and received a course of lectures at the University of Pennsylvania, from which he graduated in March, 1861; he then returned to Roaring Springs; there continued in the practice of his profession till 1874, when he removed to Cadiz, where he has since resided. Dr. Bacon was married in 1857 to Miss Martha E. Bacon, who was born in Muhlenburg County, Va.; she died in January, 1860, aged thirty; his second marriage was November 1, 1865, to Miss Elizabeth E. Edwards; she was born in Christian County. This union has been blessed with five children, two of whom are now living-one son and one daughter. JAMES BATTOE was born January 30, 1826, in St. Clair County, Ill. He is the fourth of a family of seven children, born to John and Annie (Hodges) Battoe. The father was a native of Kentucky; he died in 1832, aged forty. The mother was born in Trigg County; she died in 1846, aged forty. Our subject remained with his mother till about the age of ten years, he then worked out by the month and year till 1848, when he came to Trigg County; here he worked on rented farms. In T869 he bought his present farm of 214 acres, where he has since lived and has cleared about fifty acres; his buildings which he has placed on this farm cost about $500. Mr. Battoe was married in 1869 to Eliza Lawrence, a native of Trigg County ; two daughters have blessed this union. Mr. and Mrs. Battoe are life-long and devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
THOMAS BOYD was born January 28, 1826, in Halifax County, Va. He is the youngest of a family of four children born to Thomas and Elizabeth (Stamps) Boyd, also natives of Virginia. His father died when the subject was quite young, and in 18.38 the mother emigrated with the family to Trigg County where she died in 1877, at the hale old age of eighty-six. The subject of this sketch was raised on his mother's farm, where he remained until the age of twenty-six, and then purchased a farm of 127 acres and commenced life for himself. Through his own exertions he has since increased his farm to 500 acres, where he now resides, and also owns 250 acres elsewhere in the county and 180 in Caldwell County. The home place is considered to be one of the best in the county, and he now devotes his main attention to the raising of live stock. He now has from fifty to seventy-five head of short-horn cattle, forty to fifty hogs and about 150 head of sheep on his place. At present his son Charles manages the farm, which lies eight miles northeast of Cadiz. On January 10, 1881, he was appointed to fill the vacancy of Sheriff, and in the following August was elected to fill the office. He had prior to this time collected the taxes of 1879. In August, 1882, he was re-elected, and has since filled the office. Mr. Boyd was married on October 1, 1850, to Miss Martha, daughter of Maj. George Daniel. Mrs. Boyd is a native of Trigg County, and is the mother of ten children, six of whom-five Sons and a daughter-are living. JOHN II. CALDWELL was born August 22, 1842, in Trigg County, and is a son of John H. and Martha W. (Barkasdale) Caldwell; the former was born June 6, 1817, in Halifax County, Va.; he died December 27, 1848; they were married May 16, 1838, and emigrated to Trigg County in 1841; the latter was born June 11, 1821, also in Halifax County, Va. She died July 18, 1846. The subject of this sketch is the eldest of a family of three. After the death of their parents, they were reared by their guardian, Capt. C. W. Roach. John's early education was received at Cadiz, Q. M. Tyler and James Rumsey being his teachers, after which he attended the Bethel College three years. After five months' study at the Cumberland University, Lebanon, Tenn., he returned to the Bethel College, Russelville, there graduated in the class of 1861: he then entered the Confederate Army, Company A, Ninth Kentucky Infantry, commanded by Col. Thomas H. Hunt, of Louisville, and served to the end of the war; he participated in the battle of Shiloh, was under fire at Vicksburg, battles of Baton Rouge, Murfreesboro, Jack8on and all the battles from Dalton to Atlanta, and Jonesboro; after the battle near Statesboro, S. C., on capitulated terms of surrender, they were paroled at Washington, Ga., May 6, 1865, and were the last troops that fired a gun east of the Chattahoochee, where they surrendered; he then returned to Trigg County, where he has since been engaged in agricultural pursuits, except two years as teacher of the Wallonia Institute. He was married December 16, 1868, to Cornelia F. Boyd. She was born June 21, 1848, in Trigg County; she died September 6, 1881, leaving a family of four children-two sons and two daughters. His brother Thomas B. was killed at the battle of Pittsburgh Landing, April 6, 1862; his brother Dr. J. W. Caldwell served during the late war in Company A, Woodward's Cavalry, after which he attended the University of Virginia, and graduated at the Baltimore Medical College in 1866. He then engaged in the practice of his profession in Belleview, Christian County; after practicing several years he went to Louisville for the purpose of having an operation performed, from which he died November 4, 1873. JOHN W. CHAPPELL, merchant, Cadiz, was born March 19, 1824, in Christian County, Ky.; he is a son of Dickie and Susan (McCarty) Chappell, who were natives of Halifax County, Va.; they came to Christian County at an early day; he first engaged in teaching school, and later followed agricultural pursuits. They lived on one farm forty-three years. October 1, 1853, they removed to Washington County, Texas. There his mother died August 10, 1855. His father died in July, 1870. The subject of this sketch was reared on his father's farm, where he remained till January 1, 1844. He then came to Cadiz and was clerk for Hiram Thompson in the dry goods business: November, 1848, he opened a general store; with the exception of being interrupted three years during the war, has continued thi8 busine8s since, and with the exception of Mr. Street is now the oldest merchant in Trigg County. He first opened a store in the old Baker Hotel, with a stock of about $4,000, and since this time has done a business of upwards of $35,000 a year; he continued business at the Baker Hotel eighteen years; he then removed to Mrs. Terry's storehouse, where he remained five years. In 1878 he removed to his present store, situated on the west side of the court house. Mr. Chappell was Postmaster from 1858 to 1861; he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and Chosen Friends. He was married May 21, 1845, to Sarah, daughter of the late Dr. Thomas B. Jefferson. She was born in Sumner County, Tenn. This union has been blessed with seven children, three Sons and four daughters. Hi8 son, John J., is a partner in this business.
JOHN J. CHAPPELL is one of the most promising of the ri8ing young men of the county; he was born in Cadiz December 16, 1855, and is a son of John W. and Sarah (Jefferson) Chappeli; his education was received in the schools of his native town; his first instructor was Prof. F. F. Jones; among his other teachers were J. J. Nail, Prof. llancock, Prof. Pomeroy and Prof. H. B. Wayland. In 1873 he was a student at the College of Arts and Sciences at Lexington, Ky., and graduated from this institution of learning in the class of 1875; he then returned to Cadiz and entered his father's store as a clerk in 1876. He served in that capacity until January, 1884 when he became a partner in the firm under the title of J. W. Chappeli & Son. This firm is at present one of the leading houses of the place. Mr. Chappell was married in Hopkinsville, Christian County, March 6, 1884, to Miss Ida, daughter of James 0. Cooper, proprietor of the Phoenix Hotel at that point.
JUDGE ROBERT CRENSHAW was born in Trigg County, Roaring Springs Precinct, June 4, 1847; he is the fourth of a family of six Sons born to Robertson and Mary (Walden) Crenshaw. The father was born in Halifax County, Va., in September, 1816, and was a son of Cornelius and Nancy (Kent) Crenshaw; he came here in 1819 with his parents (see sketch of Thomas Crenshaw), grew to manhood, and married here in 1889; he resided here until his death, which occurred February 12, 1853; he was a member of the Christian Church and of the Masonic fraternity; the mother was born in Halifax County, Va., in 1819, and died in this county December 81, 1851. Our subject was reared by his uncle, Thomas Crenshaw; he was educated by Prof. Wyatt and Prof. G. P. Street; at the age of twenty he took up the study of law under the preceptorship of Judge Thomas C. Dabney; he was licensed to practice in 1868; soon afterward he was elected County Attorney for four years, and during this time also held the office of School Commissioner; while serving in the latter office he made the tour of the country, delivering addresses in the interest of education; he was a candidate In 1878 and also in 1882 for County Judge, but was defeated both times by Judge Dyer by a small majority. At these elections Judge Crenshaw received more votes than had ever been polled for any other defeated candidate prior to that time. In the summer of 1883 he was a candidate for the third time, and at the primary election he defeated Judge Kelley, Squire W. G. Blame and Prof. H. B. Wayland. At the following general election in August he was elected over S. I. Spiceland, who was the nominee on the Republican ticket. This position he is still satisfactorily and creditably filling. Judge Crenahaw was married, in 1877, to Miss Minnie, daughter of Judge Thomas C. Dabney. Three children-two eons and a daughter-have blessed this union. He is a member of the Christian Church, and of the Odd Fellows and Chosen Friends.
JUDGE THOMAS C. DABNEY was born in Louisa County, Va., on September 20, 1823. He is the second son of Albert G. Dabney and Ann Eliza Catlett, his wife, formerly of Louisa County, Va., who came to Christian County in the fall of 1830, with a family of four sons. Albert S. Dabney (now deceased), was the third son and held the offices of County and Circuit Clerk of Trigg County for a number of years, and afterward was cashier of a bank in Hickman, Ky., where he contracted a disease from which he died in Cadiz, leaving three sons and one daughter. The brothers, E. W. and C. J., removed to Austin County, Tex., in 1853, where E. W. Dabney now resides, and C. J. Dabney died in June 1882, both having large families. The subject of this sketch was educated by Elder George P. Street. After receiving a good education, at the age of eighteen he took up the study of the law and came to Cadiz, and lived with the family of the late J. E. Thompson, who was at that time County and Circuit Clerk. Our subject became the Deputy in both offices, and while discharging these duties continued the study of law, under the direction of Hon. C. D. Bradley, now deceased. He procured license to practice in the fall of 1844, and located in Cadiz, where he has since followed the profession. Though at all times decided in his political convictions he has never sought any political offices ; he was several times elected and served as County Attorney of Trigg County. Upon the adoption of the new Constitution in 1852, he was elected the first County Judge in Trigg County, under the new Constitution. In July, 1857, he was elected Circuit Judge in the Second Circuit Court, Judicial District in Kentucky, which at that time, extended across the State, and included the counties of Trigg, Christian, Todd, Muhlenburg, Hopkins, Henderson and Caldwell. Judge Dabney's term expired in August, 1862, and he declined to be a candidate for re-election and retired to the practice of his profession, to which he has since devoted his entire attention. On March 7, 1848, Judge Dabney was married, in the city of Hopkinsville, to Miss Susannah, only child of the late James D Rumsey Mrs. Dabney was born and reared in Hopkinsville, Ky Her father was a lawyer by profession, a teacher by occupation, a man of much learning and marked ability and descended from a family noted for their rare talent He was near kina man and named after his uncle James Rumsey, who is the first to have discovered and applied steam power to navigation, and experimented in propelling a small steamboat on the Potomac in 1784; he died in London, England, of apoplexy, while lecturing on the application of steam-power to navigation before the Royal Society. This union has been blessed with nine children, one of whom (Thomas C., Jr.), died at the Kentucky University (at Lexington), on April 13 ,l.873. Eight children- four sons and four daughters-are now living. Judge James R., the eldest son, is a lawyer by profession and is now County Judge of Henderson County, Ky. Lieut Albert J., the second son, is now a Lieutenant in the United States Navy, where he has been for the past seventeen years. E. F., the third son, is a graduate of the Louisville Low School, and is now a partner with his father in the practice of law. Dr. Archie S., the fourth, has lately graduated at the Baltimore College of Dental Surgery, and has since opened dental rooms at Cadiz. Of the daughters, Minnie is now the wife of Judge Robert Crenshaw, now County Judge of Trigg County; Cornelia, the eldest daughter, was recently made a widow by the death of her husband John R. Averitt, who was a young lawyer of promising attainments, and was filling the office of County Attorney at the time of his death; Misses Annie and Carrie, the two youngest daughters, are still living at home with their parents.
JOHN C. DABNEY was born January 14, 1852, in Cadiz. He is the second of five children born to Albert S. and Pamelia (Middelton) Dabney. His father was born in Louisa County, Va., and emigrated to Trigg County when about fourteen years of age; he was a highly cultivated Christian gentleman, a member of the Christian Church and one of the purest and best men that ever lived; he was exceedingly popular, and filled with marked ability and credit, for about sixteen years, the office of County Clerk; he died in Cadiz in 1860, in his thirty-sixth year. His mother was the eldest daughter of the late John Middelton of Shelby County, Ky. She was a lady of superior intelligence and culture, and also possessed rare business qualifications. She is said, by those best acquainted with her, to have been the brightest scholar of her classes. She obtained a profound knowledge of the classics, and as a Latin scholar had but few equals and no superior. She was a faithful and devoted mother, an earnest and conscientious Christian, a member of the church of her husband and brought up her children-three sons and a daughter- "in the nurture and admonition of the Lord." She had the consolation of knowing and seeing her children profess Christ before she was called to her sweet reward ; this estimable lady died in December, 1875. Our subject received his primary education while working on the farm and helping to support his widowed mother and family, and studied night and day at home under the instruction and tutelage of his mother, and later attended the schools in Cadiz, where he won prizes for his studious habits, scholarship and gentlemanly deportment. In 1869 he left Cadiz and went to the Kentucky University at Lexington. There we find him a lad about seventeen years of age, hard at work; studious, industrious, faithful and punctual in all his school duties, and as a reward for his thorough, faithful work, he was promoted to a Captaincy in the Second Session and had charge of the Military Department, and also received the appointment to West Point from the university as having the highest and best standing in his classes, but he declined to accept this high honor, and continued at the university as a student for two years longer, holding the position of Captain and noted for his competency and strict military discipline. He was also engaged as tutor in the university, by which means he was able to finish his education. Having completed his literary course in June, 1873, he went to teaching school and studying law; he taught one year longer at Lexington and then took a course of law lectures at Kentucky University, and then returned to Cadiz and took charge of the high school, which position he ably filled as Principal for about eight years. In 1876 he was admitted to practice law in the courts of the State, since which time he has been actively engaged in the practice of his profession (even while teaching), and we predict for him a bright future. In August, 1883, he was elected County Attorney, which office he now honorably fills, and is said to be one of the most active, energetic and competent officers Trigg has had. He is a member of the Board of School Examiners, and also connected with the Society of Chosen Friends. Capt. Dabney was married June 14, 1876, to Miss Mattie, second daughter of J. W. Chappell, of Cadiz. Three bright children gladden their home. Capt. Dabney and wife are both devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. He has been Sunday-school Superintendent for the past six years.
WILLIAM L. DUNN was born in Robinson County, Tenn., May 8, 1858. He is a son of Samuel and Victoria (La Prade) Dunn, also natives of Robinson County, Tenn. At the breaking out of the war Samuel enlisted in the Confederate Army, and was killed at the battle of Chickamauga, aged twenty-eight years. The subject of this sketch was reared in his native county, and engaged in agricultural pursuits; there he continued to reside till January 1, 1883, when he came to Trigg County. He owns 178 acres where he now resides. Mr. Dunn was married December 10, 1879, to Miss Susie B., daughter of John F. White, one of the oldest and wealthiest settlers of Trigg County.
J. B. EDWARDS was born December 26, 1842, in Simpson County, Ky. He is a son of Henry M. and Susan (Travis) Edwards; the former was born in North Carolina in 1811, died in 1866. Our subject at the age of two years was brought by his parents to Graves County, where he was reared. In 1863 he removed to Christian County; engaged there in farming seven years. In 1870 he came to Cadiz-here kept a hotel four years. In 1876 he was elected Jailor; held that office four years; then engaged in the sewing machine business three years. August, 1882, be was elected Assessor, which office he still holds. He owns a farm where he resides, one and one-half miles from Cadiz. He was married in December, 1864, to Alice B. Arbuckle, who was born in Christian County, by whom he had five children-two daughters and three sons. Mr. Edwards is a member of the Blue Lodge and Chapter, A. F. & A. M., K. of P. and Methodist Episcopal Church South.
RICHARD T. ELLIS was born November 10, 1844, in Cadiz He is the only child of Ira A. and Elizabeth K. (Tyler) Ellis. The father was born in Christian County. He came to Cadiz in 1843; kept the Cadiz House about one year; he then removed to the iron works, where he kept books several years. He also held the office of Sheriff one term. In 1853 he was elected State Senator, and while a member of this body was taken sick and died in Cadiz in 1854. The mother was born on the farm now owned by our subject on March 15, 1825; she died in Cadiz May 1, 1846. Subject was married February 25, 1868, to Miranda E. Humphries. She was born in Trigg County. Two children bless this marriage-one son and one daughter. After living three years on this farm, in 1871, they removed to Golden Pond Precinct; there they remained one year, when they returned to this farm and occupied a house built on this land by his grandfather. In 1880 they removed to their present home. This is one of the oldest settled farms in the neighborhood, and originally contained 675 acres. Mr. Ellis now owns the homestead with 332k acres. This farm is situated on the Cadiz and Hopkinsville road, and is considered one of the most desirable locations in this county. Mr. Ellis is a member of the I. 0. 0. F. He and wife are also members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
HON. JAMES B. GARNETT was born on July 28, 1845, near Pembroke, Christian County; he is the youngest of five children born to Eldred and Frances A. (Pendleton) Garnett. The father was born in Abermarle County, Va., in 1813, and died on his farm in Christian County, Ky., in 1870. The mother was born in 1810 in Orange County, Va., and is now living in Christian County. Our subject has three brothers in Christian County, two engaged in merchandising at Pembroke, the other in farming and teaching school. His sister is the wife of Rev. R. W. Morehead, of Princeton, Ky. In 1866 Mr. Garnett commenced the study of law at the Lebanon Law School, and graduated at this college of learning in the class of 1868. Immediately after he came to Cadiz and located here, and since that time has been actively engaged in the practice of his profession. In 1870 he was elected County Attorney and served four years. During part of this time he was also Common School Commissioner for two years. In August, 1875, he was elected State Senator from the Third Senatorial District, which was composed of the counties of Trigg, Calloway, Lyon and Livingston. In 1880 he was elected Commonwealth's Attorney for the Second Judicial District, comprising the counties of Muhlenburg, Christian, Hopkins, Trigg, Caldwell and Lyon, for the term of six years; this office he still honorably fills. Mr. Garnett was a delegate to the National Democratic Convention at Baltimore in 1872, and at St. Louis in 1876; he was married in October, 1877, to Miss Virginia Hewell, of Tuscaloosa, Ala. This lady died on November 30, 1878.
JOHN J. GARTON was born in Christian County on July 5, 1827. He is the elder of two Sons, now living, born to James C. and Frances (Londerman) Garton. The father was born in Kentucky, and died January 24, 1835, aged thirty-nine. The mother was a native of Virginia, and died December 3, 1854, aged fifty-three years. The subject of this sketch was raised on a farm. After attending the usual subscription school, at the age of fifteen he was apprenticed to the saddlery trade. He continued in this business until 1862, when he engaged in general merchandising. He first opened a store in Lafayette and afterward at Hopkinsville. In January, 1867, he came to Cadiz, where he has since been engaged in this business. He began at Lafayette with a stock of about $1,000, and now carries a stock of about $10,000. He has been acting as Postmaster at Cadiz for the past fourteen years. On February 15, 1854,. Mr. Garton was married to Miss Fannie E. White, of Lafayette, Christian County. This lady died November 30, 1860, leaving three daughters. Mr. Garton was next married at Cadiz, on December 13, 1864, to Miss Bettie Lindsay, a native of Christian County. Mr. G. is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the Christian Church. H. M. GARTON was born in Todd County, Ky., April 16, 1829. He is the third child of a family of four born to James C. and Frances Garton. After the death of his father, which occurred in 1840, his mother returned with her family to her father, John Londerman; there the subject of this sketch was reared. After attending school in Christian County, he commenced the study of dentistry, and attended the Baltimore Dental School in 1854-55. In 1856 he located in Cadiz, and opened his dental rooms. This business he continued till 1881. He with his brother, John J., in 1867, opened a general store here, and continued his interest in this business till the fall of 1878, when he sold out to his brother, and built his present spacious store-house, where he with his son, Henry H., is now engaged in the hardware and agricultural implement business. They are carrying a stock of about $5,000. His son, Henry H., was married October 7, 1880, to Miss Blanche, daughter of Col. Gentry. She was born in Trigg County. One daughter has blessed this union. Mr. Garton has held the office of Postmaster continuously since 1866.
W. D. GRACE was born January 24, 1813, in Caldwell, now Trigg County, Ky.; he is the second child of a family of four born to George and Nancy (Williams) Grace; they were born in North Carolina, and married in Montgomery County, Tenn.; the father was engaged in agriculture. On coming to Trigg County they settled on a farm of about 300 acres, three miles west of Canton; he died in 1850, aged sixty-five. Our subject at the age of nineteen bought a farm on Crooked Creek; lived there four years, then removed to Canton, where he lived about twenty-five years. He first kept hotel and later engaged in merchandising and commission, also engaged in pork-packing four seasons. In 1861 he removed to Cadiz; during his stay there he had raised three crops. January 1, 1867, he removed to their present farm which consisted at that time of about 1,300 acres; about 800 acres of this land have since been disposed of. Mr. Grace has been three times married; his first marriage, was July 15, 1832, to Mary Organ. She was born in Wilson County, Tenn.; died August 30, 1834. They had two children: Frances, wife of D. P. Austin, was born April 28, 1833; she died December 28, 1881; John R. was born May 27, 1834; he took up the study of law and graduated at the Louisville Law College, at the age of twenty-one; he then engaged in the practice of his profession, and soon after became a partner in the law firm of Mayes & Grace; be has held the office of County Judge, and now serving his third term as Judge of the Second Judicial District.
Mr. Grace was next married, June 11, 1839, to Elizabeth Gough; she was born February 20, 1820, in Stewart County, Tenn. She died July 6, 1849. They had four children-all deceased. His third marriage was on September 8, 1850, to Sarah Munday; she was born in Virginia. This union was blessed with two children, one living-Alex. H., who is now the owner of this farm. He was married, February 15, 1882, to Miss Eliza Wharton. She was born in Trigg County.
JUDGE JOHN R. GRACE was born May 27, 1834, in Trigg County, Ky. He is a son of William D. and Mary (Organ) Grace. The father was born in Caldwell, now Trigg County, January 24, 1818, and is now living on his farm, about three miles from Cadiz. The mother was a native of Wilson County, Tenn. She died August 30, 1834. John R. was reared in or near Canton, and attended the subscription schools of that locality, after which he attended the Lebanon High School one year. At about the age of nineteen he took up the study of law, under the preceptorship of Maj. Matthew Mayes, where he continued one year, after which he went to Louisville, and there entered the law department of the Transylvania College; there graduated in the class of 1855. He then came to Cadiz and engaged in the practice of his profession. In 1858 he was elected County Judge. Two years later he formed a partnership with Maj. Matthew Mayes, firm of Mayes & Grace. This partnership continued till 1865. He then formed a partnership with Henry 0. Burnett, which continued till the death of the latter, which occurred in September, 1866. He continued the practice of this profession till 1868, when he was elected Circuit Judge of the Second Judicial District, comprising the counties of Trigg, Christian, Hopkins, Caldwell and Lyon. He was re-elected in 1874, and again in 1880; this position he still honorably fills. In 1880 the county of Muhlenburg was added to this circuit. In October, 1882, he was nominated on the Democratic ticket for Congress, representing the First Congressional District, and was defeated by Oscar Turner, the Independent candidate, by a small majority. Judge Grace was married in 1859, to Miss Emeline, daughter of Abner Terry, of Trigg County. This lady died in January, 1861, aged twenty-four years. WILLIAM W. GRAY was born in Christian County, on March 25, 1858, and is a son of James and L. (Brown) Gray. His father was a native of North Carolina. When young he removed to Kentucky, and engaged in merchandising at Wallonia. He continued business there until his death, which occurred in 1859. At the time of his death he was the owner of a large farm in Christian County, and two stores, one in Wallonia, the other in Christian County. The mother was a native of Virginia, and after her husband's death, she removed to her farm. In 1866 she was married to Frederick Routon, who was also a farmer. William W. was reared on his mother's farm. He continued to reside there until June, 1883, when he came to Cadiz. He is the owner of three farms in Christian County, and 250 acres in Trigg County. On January 8, 1881, he was married to Miss Lou Hancock, a native of this county. Two sons have blessed this union.
R. J. GRIGSBY was born February 20, 1834, in Logan County, Ky., and is a son of Jesse and Mary (Moseley) Grigsby. The former was born in Virginia, the latter in Logan County, Ky. The father of our subject when young learned the blacksmith's trade, which he followed most of his life. At about the age of twelve he was brought with his parents to this locality, where they settled on a farm; here he remained till the age of twenty-one. He then bought 200 acres of land where he now resides, and has since been engaged in farming. He has from time to time added other lands by purchase; he now owns from 600 to 700 acres embraced in two farms He has held the office of Magistrate four years. Mr. Grigsby was married in September, 1866, to Tabitha Rogers. She was born in Trigg County. Two children bless this union-one son and one daughter.
THOMAS H. GRINTER, capitalist, was born in Logan County, Ky., September 12, 1823, and is the third of a family of nine children born to Samuel and Nancy (Hill) Grinter, natives of Virginia. His father was a farmer, and our subject grew to manhood on the latter's farm. When nineteen years old, on January 1, 1842, he came to Cadiz. Here he first clerked in Hiram Thompson's store for three years; he then bought out J. E. Thompson, and after various changes in the style of the firm, it finally became known as Thompson & Grinter. This partnership continued two years, and at the end of this time the latter sold out. He next purchased the office of Sheriff from James Garnett, which he held for two years; he then engaged in merchandising under the firm name of Grinter & Baker; he remained in this business two years, then sold out, and again bought the office of Sheriff from Stanley Thomas. Since then he has been engaged attending to his private affairs, and managing estates for others, also acting as guardian for minors. Probably no other man in Trigg County has made or spent as much money as Mr. Grinter. Coming to Cadis in 1842, with but $2, he is to day the richest man in Christian or Trigg County; his wealth in part consists of $120,000 in Government bonds; he also owns several stores and residences in Cadiz, among which might be mentioned the Cadiz House, erected in 1880. This building, including the ground on which it stands, cost $18,000. He is by far the largest tax payer of any one in Trigg County. Mr. Grinter was married, in 1850, to Mary, a daughter of William Redd, of Trigg County. This union has been blessed with seven children, two sons and five daughters. Mr. Grinter has been Town Treasurer, Trustee of the Jury Fund, and Master Commissioner of the Circuit Court. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
WESLEY GUNN, deceased, was born May 1, 1819, in Robinson County, Tenn. In 1854 he came to Cadiz, and engaged in the tobacco business; he also superintended the building of the present stemmery, now owned and operated by Mr. White; he afterward removed to a farm three miles distant from Cadiz; there he engaged in agricultural pursuits till his death, which occurred February 22, 1865. He was married, in 1856, to Miss Addie G-rinter. She was born in 1837, in Logan County, Ky. Four children blessed this union-two sons and two daughters. The eldest son, S. Walker Gunn, now engaged with Torian & Barber, of Evansville, lad. Thomas W. is now employed in the post office at Cadiz. Mrs. Gunn is a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. WALTER H. HANCOCK was born on August 24, 1850, in Campbell County, Va.; he is the eldest of a family of ten children born to D. M. Hancock, also a native of Virginia. When subject was six years old his father came to Trigg County, where he farmed. Subject remained at home with his father until he was twenty-six years old. In the meantime he held various local offices until 1882, among which might be mentioned Deputy Sheriff, and Constable. He next came to Cadiz, where he has since been engaged in the grocery and liquor business. Mr. Hancock was married on January 9, 1883, to Miss Ida M. Allen, daughter of William Allen, of Christian County, Ky. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
WILEY L. HILLMAN was born October 8, 1847, in Hopkinsville; he is the third child of a family of four born to W. W. and Mary (Lindsay) Hillman; the former was born in Louisa County, Va., in 1814, died on his farm near Cadiz in 1878, aged sixty-four; he moved to Christian County in 1832, where he lived till 1848, then came to Trigg County, carrying on his trade, that of contractor and builder; he built the Canton and Roaring Springs bridges at Cadiz, and various other improvements; he bought a farm one and one-half miles southeast of Cadiz, where he lived till his death. His mother was a daughter of Dr. Lindsay, a native of Virginia. She died in 1849. When about the age of five our subject was brought by his father to Cadiz, where he was reared. In 1870 he went to Kansas; there learned the boot and shoe trade, following this business there till January, 1877, when he returned to Cadiz and established his present business; he keeps on hand constantly a well selected stock of ready made boots and shoes, also manufactures to order; he was married in 1879 to Fannie Falkner. She was born in Trigg County. They are members of the Christian Church, and he of the Masonic fraternity and K. of H.
JOHN G. JEFFERSON is the oldest native born white child now living in Cadiz; he was born here on September 21, 1834, and is a son of Dr. Thomas B. and Martha A. (Graves) Jefferson. The father was born in Pittsylvania County, Va., on the 13th of April, 1805, and was a son of Peter F. and Elizabeth (Harrison) Jefferson. The former was a cousin of President Jefferson, the latter a cousin of President Harrison. When Thomas was six years old his father moved to Sumner County, Tenn. Here Dr. Jefferson obtained the rudiments of his education. At the age of eighteen he entered the office of Dr. Rawlings and commenced the study of medicine. After studying there one year he entered the Transylvania University at Lexington. At this institution he remained two terms, and graduated with honor to himself and credit to his preceptors. On his return from college he settled in the vicinity of Nashville, Tenn. After practicing medicine one year alone he entered into a co-partnership with Dr. Maxey, at Haysboro Davidson Co., Tenn. In 1830 he determined to go to St. Louis, and accordingly started for that place; he was delayed by a severe snowstorm at Hopkinsville, and while stopping there some of the citizens of Cadiz, among them William Cannon, then Clerk of the Circuit Court, petitioned him to settle at this point. Accordingly in the fall of 1831 he came to Cadiz, and cast his lot with the people of this county. In 1832, when the Asiatic cholera made its appearance in Kentucky, Salem, in Crittenden County, was smitten by the epidemic. The people of Cadiz, fearing this disease would appear at that point, solicited Dr. Jefferson to go and investigate the theory of the disease. With commendable zeal and fearlessness he started to Salem, but on his arrival at Princeton he found the scourge had already reached that point. Here the citizens stopped him and insisted that he should take charge of the case of Mr. Peter Simmerman, a merchant of that place, then pronounced by the home physicians to be in a hopeless condition. Our subject now has in his possession two letters concerning his father's treatment of this case; one written by N. S. Dalman, Esq., the other by Thomas Haynes, Esq., in which the courage, skill and firmness of Dr. Jefferson are spoken of in words of deep admiration. Simmerman although in a collapsed state when Dr. J. reached him, was cured, and as one of the letter writers remarked, "Dr. J. snatched an estimable citizen from the grave and restored him to the bosom of his family." He continued to make tri-weekly visits to Princeton during the prevalence of the disease, and under the treatment of this physician the disease lost its terrors to some extent. From this time until his death Dr. Jefferson occupied a very high, if not the highest, rank in the medical profession of this and adjoining counties; he died on July ii, 1873, and his loss was severely felt in the community in which he had resided so long, especially by the poorer classes, for whom he had great sympathy. He loved the right, manly and the noble, and detested fraud, meanness and sham. The mother of subject was born in Davidson County, Term., and her death occurred in this county in April, 1853. The schools of the county furnished subject's education. When a youth he went to Eddyville, Lyon County, and there taught school for a while, then wrote in the County Clerk's office. While engaged in this latter occupation he also found time to read law some, and in 1855 he entered the Louisville Law School. From this institution he graduated in the class of 1856; he came to this county and practiced his profession for a few months, when be became book-keeper at Laura Furnace, where he remained until his marriage. During the war he spent most of the time in the South. In 1866 he returned to Cadiz and remained a short time; be then went to Texas, where he spent several months, and then returned to this county. In January, 186P, he was appointed County Court Clerk, and in the following August he was elected to the office for one year, and in August, 1870, he was re-elected for four years, and since that time has held the office continuously, being re-elected in 1874, 1878 and 1882; he is an insurance agent, and also, does something in farming, having a tract of land near Cadiz. Mr. Jefferson was married near Nashville, Tenn., on May 17, 1861, to Miss Elizabeth S. Banks, a daughter of Samuel M. and Nancy R. (McCarty) Banks. Mrs. Jefferson was born in Fayette County, Mo., and is the mother of five children-one girl and four boys. Subject and family are all members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. Mr. Jefferson is also a member of A. F. & A. M., I. 0. 0. F., K. of H. and Chosen Friends fraternities.
PETER S. JEFFERSON was born in Cadiz, Trigg County, on November 21, 1847, and is a son of Dr. Thomas B. Jefferson, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this work. Our subject's early education was received in Cadiz. At the age of fifteen he began to clerk for his brother William (now deceased). He remained with him for about three years. He next clerked for J. W. Chappell for about two years. He then went to Clarksville, and there acted as clerk in a warehouse for about seven months. He afterward returned to Cadiz, and has since been engaged in the grocery and liquor business. Mr. Jefferson was married on January 21, 1883, to Miss Corrie, daughter of Charles Baker, a son of one of the oldest settlers of Cadiz. This lady was born in Princeton. L. LEWIS JOHNSON was born in Canton Precinct on April 23, 1860, and is a son of Levi L. and Mary (Vinson) Johnson. Subject is the sixth of seven children, of whom five are now living: Cyrus, in Lyon County; Alice, wife of J. M. Carr; Eliza, wife of Ricks Calhoun ; Levi Lewis, and Cornelia, 'wife of Robert Randolph. The schools of the county furnished his education. He remained on the home farm .until twenty-one. He then came to Cadiz, and engaged in the grocery business three years. Since then he has been engaged in farming; he is a member of Cadiz Lodge, No. 121, and in politics is a Republican.
GEORGE T. McCAIN was born November 25, 1852, in Trigg County; he is the third child of a family of five born to John A. and Caroline (Wharton) McCain ; the former was born in North Carolina in 1816; he died in Graves County, Ky., in 1867; he had been engaged in merchandising since a boy, and was one of the oldest merchants of Wallonia; he was also largely engaged in the tobacco business; his mother was born in Paris, Tenn., in 1821; she died in 1860. The subject of this sketch, after attending school, entered his father's store as a clerk, where he remained till the death of his father. In the fall of 1876, he bought out T. W. Saffarans, who had been engaged in the grocery and liquor business in Cadiz; his stock amounted to about $1,200; since then this business has largely increased; he now carries a stock of about $4,000. Mr. McCain was married in 1878 to Miss Georgia Grinter, daughter of Thomas H. Grinter. She was born in Cadiz. Two children bless this union-one son and one daughter.
MAT McKINNEY, editor of the Old Guard. Samuel McKinney and Charlotte Walker Rowlette were both natives of the State of Virginia. The former was born in Charlotte County and the latter in Prince Edward. They were married in Halifax County in 1821. Mat McKinney, their son, subject of this sketch, was born near Appomattox Court House, the 26th day of December, 1825. He labored on a farm until he was a good stout boy, when he was placed in a mercantile establishment as salesman and book-keeper. His health giving way, his father required him to surrender his place in the house and seek employment in some other branch of industry. But little attention up to this time had been paid to his education, and feeling the necessity of a more intimate knowledge of books, desired first the advantages of a few years' schooling. His father being amply able to do so gave a ready and willing assent. He was consequently entered as a student in the male seminary at Cadiz, and afterward at Cumberland College, Princeton, Ky. He continued at school about two years, during which time he had pretty well mastered the Latin language, and made considerable progress in Greek and the higher branches of mathematics. Upon leaving school he commenced the study of law in Cadiz with Judge Collins D. Bradley. Remaining with him for the space of two years be was granted a law license, and commenced the practice. He de voted himself to the profession for about eighteen months, when a severe attack of hemorrhage of the lungs so discouraged him that he abandoned the pursuit of the profession forever. Soon after this resolution was taken we find him formally invested with the duties of an editor, which position he has occupied with occasional intermissions up to the present date. His paper has always been very popular with the masses, and his articles read with more than ordinary interest throughout the entire State. As a journalist, he was ever regarded as polite and conservative, but no one doubted his capacity in the use of harsh terms when the provocation was sufficient to justify them. He was' a warm friend and admirer of George D. Prentice, and in turn very much beloved by him, and retains in his possession more than one invitation from him to take a position on the editorial staff of the old Journal. As a politician he is always firm, sometimes a little disorderly, but never fanatical, and would prefer to see the business interests of his town enhanced and the people of his county more prosperous and more happy than the success of all the parties and politicians in the world. He has never been an office-seeker, but was elected and served from 1861 to 1864 as Clerk of the County Court of Trigg County, and as a Representative in the Legislature from 1873 to 1877. He had at one time accumulated quite a handsome little fortune, the bulk of which he spent for negro property, and a few security debts relieved him of the residue. During his whole life it is said that he never refused a friend a favor when he was able to grant it. He is now poor, but, fortunately for himself, in society at least, his vivacity and cheerfulness have never forsaken him. He married Miss Jennie Bell Watson, a lady of great accomplishments and goodness, the 28th day of August, 1855. They have three children living: Mollie Walker, Charles Daniel and Jennie Watson. The elder daughter is married to Mr. G. B. Bingham, a most estimable young gentleman. The other two are still single. He is very proud of his wife, and has high expectations of his children. May the Great Dispenser of this world's pleasures grant him a full realization of all his hopes!
JOEL McKINNEY was born in Halifax County, Va., March 25, 1830. He is the fourth child of a family of eight born to Samuel and Charlotte W. (Rowlette) McKinney. At about the age of three years he was brought with his parents to Kentucky. In 1837 his father, in company with Mr. Terry, engaged in merchandising in Wallonia, and later removed to Cadiz, where they continued this business several years. At about the age of seventeen Joel entered this store as a clerk, where he remained about eight years. In 1853 he removed to this farm, which consists of about 400 acres. This is one of the oldest farms in this county, and at one time was known as having the largest field of any farm between Canton and Hopkinsville. Mr. McKinney was married 'in 1872 to Miss Susan Crurnp. She was born in Trigg County. Six children have blessed this union-two sons and four daughters. Mr. and Mrs. McKinney are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. R. W. MAJOR, Cadiz, was born January 13, 1842, in Trigg County. He is the second child of a family of eleven born to C. H. and Nancy (Wade) Major, both natives of Halifax County, Va. His father was born in 1817, and came to Trigg County in 1841 ; he first engaged in merchandising in Hopkinsville, where he continued about four years; he then removed to Trigg County and engaged in farming, continuing till 1875, at which time he moved to Canton, where he has since been engaged in the commission business. His mother died in 1849, aged thirty-two years. The subject of this sketch was reared on his father's farm, and afterward taught school; he enlisted in August, 1861, Company G, Fourth Kentucky Infantry; was mustered in Second Sergeant, and afterward promoted to Brevet Second Lieutenant, then Second Lieutenant, and later to First Lieutenant, and at the close of the war he had command of the company; he participated in the battle of Shiloh; was under fire at Vicksburg, battles of Baton Rouge, Murfreesboro, Jackson, Lookout Mountain, and all the battles to Dalton. There he was in command of the company, and the last to leave the field; his next engagement was the battle of Resaca; there he was wounded and was obliged to leave the field. In about forty days he returned to the army and took charge of the company; he then participated in the battles around Atlanta, and was wounded at Peach Tree Creek ; also twice wounded at the battle of Jonesboro and then captured. After being out about twenty five days he escaped and returned to his regiment, which was afterward mounted and sent to South Carolina. There they were engaged in a number of skirmishes. After the battle of Statesburg, on capitulated terms of surrender, they were paroled at Washington, Ga., and were the last troops that fired a gun east of the Chattahoochee. There they surrendered. He then returned to his father's farm, and soon after was appointed Deputy Sheriff, afterward twice elected Sheriff. Since this term of office expired he has been engaged in merchandising. He has held the office of Police Judge two terms. Is a member of the Masonic order and Chosen Friends. Mr. Major was married October 16, 1873, to Miss Emma Chappell. She was born in Trigg County. Four children bless this union-three sons and one daughter.
T. J. MITCHELL was born August 5, 1848, in Trigg County. He is a son of James and Martha (Alexander) Mitchell, who were also born in Trigg County. Mr. Mitchell, Sr., followed the cooper trade when young. T. J. took up this trade when a boy and still carries on this business; he is also operating a portable saw-mill and engaged in farming. In the fall of 1879 he removed to this farm, which he owns, consisting of 116 acres. Mr. Mitchell was married February 25, 1868, to Miss R. Bell Hawkins; she was born in Trigg County. Seven children have blessed this union-five sons and two daughters.
M. F. PETTY was born in February, 1822, in Morganfield, Union Co., Ky. He is the third child of a family of eight, born to George B. and Maria (Smith) Petty. They were natives of Virginia. The father of our subject learned the tailor trade when young; this business he carried on in Princeton, Caldwell County, until his death, which occurred in 183tL M. F. Petty was brought to Trigg County when a child, and has since lived on this farm which was settled by his grandfather Smith, and deeded to him by his Uncle William S. Smith, consisting of 300 acres. Mr. Petty was married in 1853 to Martha A. Gray. She was born in Trigg County. She died in October, 1854, aged twenty. Mr. Petty is a member of the Baptist church.
JAMES R. PREWETT was born October 7, 1854, in Caldwell County, Kentucky. He is the youngest of four children born to J. S. and Mary A. (Boyd) Prewett. The father was born in 1816, in Tennessee. He died January 12, 1855, in Caldwell County, Ky. The mother was born November 23, 1818, in Halifax County, Va. The family came to Trigg County, Ky., in 18'38, remained twelve years, then returned to Caldwell County, Ky., where they lived until 1864, then returned to Trigg County and located on their present farm of 200 acres. Two of our subject's brothers now live in Texas, one of whom, John W., served eight months in the Confederate Army. The only sister, Mrs. Moseley, now lives in Christian County, Ky.
JOHN D. SHAW, Circuit Clerk, Cadiz, was born October 23, 1845, in Stewart County, Tenn; son of Capt. Thomas Shaw, one of the first men employed in running the Cumberland River; in later years he represented the State in the Legislature, and during the session he was taken sick and soon after its adjournment he died. The subject of our sketch received a common school education, and was first employed as clerk in a store, also in a warehouse ; here he remained about two years; he then engaged a short time in merchandising in Henry County, Tenn., after which he came to Trigg County and engaged in farming. August, 1874, he was elected to his present position, and re-elected in 1880. He was married, in 1867, to Miss Ophelia, daughter of Jesse Wallis, and a native of Trigg County, Ky. This union has been blessed with four children-three sons and one daughter. Mr. Shaw is also Master Commissioner of the Circuit Court and Trustee of the Jury Fund of Trigg County. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and Knights of Honor, and is Deputy Grand Master of Independent Order of Odd Fellows. GEORGE J. SHOEMAKER was born November 30, 1813, in Adams County, Ohio, and is a son of Solomon and Nancy (Carr) Shoemaker; the former was born in Virginia, the latter in Ireland. Our subject was reared on his father's, farm, where he remained till the age of twenty-one ; he then removed to the Cumberland Iron Works; there worked five years. In 1839 he came to Trigg County, engaged in agricultural pursuits till 1878, when he was elected Jailor; he is now serving on his second term; he also held the office of Coroner four years. He was married, December 28, 1885, to Malinda Griffin, of Tennessee, Stewart County; she died in January, 1870, aged fifty-six; they had twelve children, seven living-three sons and four daughters. His second marriage was in November, 1870, to Eliza Pallomor, of 'Trigg County; four daughters bless this union.
JOHN L. STREET, merchant, Cadiz, was born July 7, 1818, in Hanover County, Va.; son of the Hon. George Street, also a native of Virginia, and an early settler of this locality, coming to Trigg County in 1819, where he remained till his death, which occurred in 1831; he represented this county in the Legislature several terms. The subject of this sketch is the youngest child of a family of eight, he being the only remaining one living; he was raised on his father's farm, where he remained till the age of fifteen; after attending college in Illinois four years, in 1837 he came to Cadis and was employed as clerk for John Hill two years; he then engaged in the tobacco business with his uncle, Spotawood Wilkinson, continuing this business till 1843, at which time he engaged in general merchandising, and which he has since continued, and is now the oldest merchant in Trigg County. On commencing business his sales amounted to about $30 a day; from this small beginning his business has increased to over three times this amount. Mr. Street has often acted as Town and School Trustee, and is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Since the age of twenty-one years he has been a member of the Christian Church, and is now the oldest male member of that denomination. Mr. Street has been twice married; his first union was blessed with three children-two sons and one daughter-his son, E. R. Street, being a partner in this business.
FRANK T. STREET was born in Trigg County, November 3, 1853. He is a son of John L. Street, the oldest merchant of Trigg County, and a resident of Cadiz. The subject of this sketch, at the age of sixteen, entered his father's store as a clerk ; about six years later he was admitted as a partner; he continued a member of this firm about two and a half years. September 1, 1883, he bought a half interest in the Glenwood Mill and has since been engaged in this business. This mill is situated on Little River, and is the oldest mill site in the county. It was rebuilt in 1871, and is valued at about $10,000; it has a capacity of about fifty barrels in twenty-four hours. Mr. Street was married February 23, 1881, to Miss Gertrude Hart, who was born in Stewart County, Tenn., and raised in Memphis by her uncle, Capt. James Lee, one of the most successful men of Memphis. This union has been blessed with one child- James Lee. Mr. Street is a member of the Christian Church, and of the order of Chosen Friends.
J. E. SUMMERS was born September 24, 1828, in Christian County, Ky. He is the eldest child in a family of twelve born to William A. and Harriet A. (Anthony) Summers; the father was born December 9, 1790, in Fairfax County, Va.; he came to Christian County in 1817; first engaged in teaching school. In 1829 he removed to his farm four miles west of Hopkinsville ; there he remained till his death which occurred April 27, 1857. The mother was born in August, 1809, in Sumner County, Tenn.; they were married November 22, 1827, in Montgomery County. The subject of this sketch was born on the farm now owned and occupied by his mother ; there he received his early education, and later attended school in Hopkinsville two terms. In 1854 he removed to Texas; there engaged in farming. In 1857 he was called home on account of his father's death, and superintended this farm five years at a salary of $1,000 a year. During this time, by his judicious management, he made and divided out to the legatees of the estate $21,000. This farm contained about 500 acres improved, and gave employment to about sixteen hands; this was considered one of the best farms in Christian County. In 1862 he commenced on his own account on a farm of 375 acres; he later purchased. other lands, making in all 750 acres. There he remained five years. In 1867 he sold part of his land and returned to his mother's farm, which he again took charge of, and where he remained four years. January, 1871, he removed to Cadiz, where he has since resided ; he now owns and occupies the residence formerly owned by the late Matthew Mayes, also a farm of 700 acres adjoining the corporation. Mr. Summers was married October 22, 1861, to Corinne Farley. She was born in Virginia; she died April 1, 1866, aged twenty-five. Two daughters and one son blessed this union. His second marriage took place September 26, 1870, to Miss Mattie, daughter of J. F. Gill of Logan County, Ky. The result of this union is three children-one son and two daughters. Mr. and Mrs. Summers are life-long and devoted members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.
F. G. TERRY was born in Christian County, Ky.. April 28, 1838. He is the fifth of nine children born to Abner R. and Eleanor (Dyer) Terry, natives of Virginia. In 1839 his father engaged in merchandising at Wallonia, where he remained until 1844. He then came to Cadiz and continued in business here until his death, which occurred in 1847, aged forty. The subject of this sketch came to Cadiz with his parents when he was six years old. His education was received in the schools of this town. When fifteen he went to Princeton, where he sold goods for about six months. He then attended the naval school at Annapolis, Md., where he remained two years; he then went to Washington, D. C., and received the appointment of Clerk in the Third Auditor's office. This position he held until the breaking out of the war, when he returned to Cadiz. Soon after his arrival here he enlisted in Company G, of the Eighth Regiment, Kentucky Volunteer Infantry, C. S. A. Went out as Third Lieutenant, and in the fall of 1862 was elected Captain of company. He held this position until May, 1865, when he was paroled with his company. Among the battles in which he participated might be mentioned Fort Donelson, first siege of Vicksburg, Baton Rouge, Baker's Creek, Jackson, Miss., Guntown, Tupelo, Franklin, Tenn., and in all the engagements from that point on to the retreat of Hood's army to the Tennessee River. He then returned to Cadiz, opened a drug store, and has been engaged in this business ever since. Mr. Terry was married in 1868 to Miss Dannie, a daughter of Judge A. B. Dyer. This lady is a native of this county, and is the mother of two daughters. Among the offices which our subject has held are those of Town Trustee and Trustee of High School, which office he has held since the organization. Is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South, and of the K. of H. fraternity.
J. J. THOMAS was born March 19, 1833, in Trigg County; he is a son of Starkey Thomas, now deceased, whose sketch appears elsewhere in this volume. February, 1857, he settled on his present farm, which was deeded him by his father, consisting of 300 acres. Mr. Thomas was married in July, 1856, to Mary Cunningham; she was born in this county; this marriage has been blessed with nine children-six sons and three daughters.
ALFRED THOMAS was born April 29, 1885, in Trigg County; he is a son of Starkey Thomas, who died September 14, 1881, in his eighty-third year. Our subject was raised on his father's farm, where he remained till about the age of twenty-two; he then came to this land, which was deeded to him by his father, consisting of 248 acres; he now owns in all 1,600 acres, which are included in six farms; he also owns one house and lot in Cadiz; he employs about sixteen hands and is largely engaged in live stock. Mr. Thomas is one of the largest and most successful farmers in this county; he handles large quantities of tobacco and -is the administrator of several estates, having served in this capacity the past eight years; he was married in 1863 to Eliza Martin; she was born in Trigg County; they have a family of four children-.one son and three daughters.
F. M. THOMAS was born August 5, 1839, in Trigg County; he is the seventh child of a family of eleven born to Starkey and Mary (Bridges) Thomas; the former was born in North Carolina June 29, 1799; he died September 14, 1881; the latter was born in North Carolina, July 25, 1807, and now lives with her son Starkey at their old homestead. About 1806 the father of our subject was brought with his parents to Trigg County, where be remained till his death. They first settled on Donaldson Creek; there the family was reared. At about the age of twenty-three, F. M. Thomas settled on his present land, which was deeded him by his father, consisting of 400 acres. His father had owned over 2,000 acres; before his death it was divided among his children, he was married December 21, 1876, to Mary F. Rogers; she was born January 25, 1862, in Trigg County; four children have blessed this union-three Sons and one daughter.
MOSES S. THOMPSON was born April 5, 1849, in Trigg County; he is the youngest child of a family of seven born to Moses and Clarissa H. (Smith) Thompson, who were both natives of Virginia. His mother was born in 1813, and when a child came to Trigg County with her parents, all coming here on horseback. They settled on a farm about three miles from Cadiz, where she has since lived. His father was born in 1807; he died March 16, 1884. When a boy he was apprenticed to the tanner's trade, and this business he followed through life; also engaged in agricultural pursuits. He owned previous to the war from thirty to forty slaves. Moses S. was reared on his father's farm. After receiving a common school education, at the age of fourteen 'he attended Asbury University, Indiana, and later the Georgetown College, Georgetown, Ky. After graduating at Eastman's Business College, Poughkeepsie, N. Y., he returned to Cadiz, and at the age of nineteen he engaged in merchandising un his own account. Commencing with a stock of about $3,500, he has since been continually in business here, doing a large and prosperous trade, carrying a stock of about $12,000. He occupies one of the finest store-rooms in Cadiz, located in the Hotel Block. This store is 23x90 feet, and well lighted from front and rear. Mr. Thompson was married in 1873 to Miss Nannie. daughter of Thomas H. Grinter. She was born in Cadiz. Five children gladden their home-three sons and two daughters.
THOMAS K. TORIAN was born January 31, 1845, in Cadiz, Ky., and is a son of George L. and E. E. (McCarty) Torian, who were natives of Halifax County, Va. His parents emigrated to this county in an early day; here the father kept hotel. After living here some time he moved to Christian County, and there settled on a farm. After residing there a few years, he sold out his farm and moved to Wallonia. There he bought a farm, but lived on it only about one year; he then returned to Cadiz. In 1869 he removed to Paducah, Ky., and there engaged in the tobacco business three years. in 1872 he returned to Cadiz and engaged in farming, but is at present living a retired life. Prior to the war Mr. Torian, Sr., was a large slave owner. Thomas K. has during the most of his life had charge of the farm which he has conducted for his father. in the spring of 1883, he opened a livery stable at Cadiz, and is at present still engaged in the business.
JESSE WALLIS was born January 7, 1813, in South Carolina. He is the son of James and Winnie (Jones) Wallis. The former was born October 10, 1786, in South Carolina; he died November 3, 1855. The latter was born August 19, 1791, also in South Carolina; she died December 17, 1855. The father of our subject learned the blacksmith trade when a boy; this he followed during life. Jesse remained with his father till the age of twenty-seven, also working at this trade. When they came to Cadiz his father opened a shop. Here he worked six years. In 1841 he went to Canton, there opened a shop and carried on the trade thirty-one years. While in Canton he was elected Town Marshal, and held the office two years. In 1882 he returned to Cadiz, and opened a confectionery and notion store, which he still continues. He was married in 1840, to Lucinda A. Moore. She was born in North Carolina had six children, two living-one son and one daughter. On first coming to Cadiz, he was elected Captain of a military company which was formed here, and held that office as long as musters were kept up.
JESSE T. WALLIS was born July 26, 1816, in Trigg. County. He is a son of William, Sr. and Ellen (Young) Wallis. They were born in South Carolina. His father followed school teaching, this being his principal occupation; he died in 1856, aged seventy. Our subject received his first schooling from Smith Martin, then from his father, and later from James B. Wallis. At the age of twenty-two he was placed as overseer for Beverly Dillard After remaining one year he bought a farm of 200 acres, where he remained about eight years, after which he removed to his present farm, consisting of 200 acres, where he has since lived. He was married, in 1846, to Mary E. Harris. She was born in Virginia, and partly reared in Christian County. This marriage has been blessed with eight children-three sons and five daughters : George, now living in Graves County, Ky., engaged in farming; Miner H. is a clerk in Little Rock; their youngest son, Charles is at home assisting on the farm.
C. H. WALLIS was born July 3, 1827, in Trigg County, about three miles south of Cadiz. He is the eldest of nine children born to William and Elizabeth (Wallis) Wallis. The father was born in South Carolina, February 2, 1802. He came to Trigg County, in 1824, and now lives on the farm where he first settled. The mother was born April 30, 1809, in Trigg County. She died in 1849, and was buried on their farm. Our subject was brought up on his father's farm. There he remained till the age of twenty, when he removed to the Cumberland River; there he worked at the carpenter's trade about five years. In 1852, he went to Christian County, where he was overseer of a plantation about ten years. He then returned to Trigg County, and worked about three and one-half years in a still-house. In 1865, he removed to his present locality, and opened a wheel-wright shop, and has since been engaged at this busine8s; he has also been toll-keeper at this point since coming here. Mr. Wallis was married in 1847, to Caroline Stokes. She was born in Tennessee; she died in 1877, aged forty-seven. They had a family of fourteen children, seven of whom are now living. Mr. Wallis is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and of the Methodist Episcopal Church. PROF. H. B. WAYLAND, Cadiz, was born July 18, 18-20, in Mercer County, Ky. He is the only child of James and Fannie(Burrus) Wayland. His father was born in 1795, in Madison County, Va. He died October, 1820. His mother died July 1, 1875. Our subject was reared by his grandfather, Nathaniel Burma, who participated in the siege of Yorktown in 1781. He removed to Kentucky in 1785, and that year was married to Miss Mary Thelkeld. They lived together until her death, which occurred in 1853, making the remarkable length of their marriage sixty-eight years. Two years later Mr. Burrus died, aged ninety-two years; our subject received a common school education, and later attended the South Hanover College; there he graduated. After teaching school one year, he took up the study of law, also practiced a short time. In 1847 he resumed teaching and has since been engaged in this profession. His first teaching was under the direction of Trustees. The past ten years he has taught on his own premises, he having built a school-house on his own grounds and at his own expense. He owns seventy acres of land where he resides; this he has improved with a very comfortable residence and out-buildings. These improvements cost, including the school-house, about $9,000. Mr. W. has taught in all thirty-six years, which exceeds all others in this county. He has taught twenty-four years where he now resides, and what is remarkable, there have been in this length of time twenty-four different teachers here, not connected with his school. Prof. Wayland was married in May, 1847, to Jacobina Stuart Drummond. She was born in Scotland; she died October 30, 1883. Mrs. Wayland had charge of the musical department, and in 1863-64 taught as high as twenty-seven scholars at a time. Prof. H. B. Wayland is now Principal of the Cadiz High School. He is a member and Deacon of the Baptist Church. He has been for seventeen years successively, Clerk for the Little River Association.
GEORGE S. WHARTON was born in Trigg County, two miles east of Cadiz, April 22, 1828. He is the youngest child of a family of five, born to John and Eliza (Smith) Wharton. His father was born September 21, 1784, in Fauquier County, Va., he died on this farm May 1, 1872; he settled here in 1817, having bought about 700 acres land. At that time there was little or no timber in the country, that which is here now having grown since the coming of Mr. Wharton to this locality; the timber used for the frame of their residence, which was built in 1854, was grown on - this land. Deer, turkey and other wild game were in abundance, but have long since disappeared. Mr. Wharton was married November 5, 1867, to Miss Sallie, daughter of James E. Thompson, who, until the adoption of the new Constitution, long held the office of Circuit and County Clerk of Trigg County; he died October 5, 1881, aged seventy-six ; their union has been blessed with five children-.four Sons and one daughter.
JOHN F. WHITE was born in Mecklenburg County, Va., on November 3, 1816, and is a son of Samuel B. and Nancy (Hester) White. When he was two years old his parents came to Montgomery County, Tenn., where they settled. in 1830 the parents came to Christian County and settled in Lafayette Precinct. There the father resided until his death in 1863. The mother died in 1834. John F. came to Trigg County in 1837, and settled on his present farm. He first purchased 150 acres, which he afterward increased to about 2,500. A portion of this has since been divided among his children. Starting with but little, Mr. White has, by his own endeavors, amassed one of the largest estates in the county. He began dealing in tobacco, buying and rehandling, about thirty-five years ago, and is to-day one of the most extensive buyers in the county. He has recently associated his son W. C., with him in this business, and the firm is now running a number of warehouses, one being located at Cadiz, another at Canton, another at Lamasco, and a fourth at Highland, Calloway County. When sixteen years old Mr. White joined the Methodist Church, and was licensed to preach. In 1841 he joined the Baptist Church, and has since then served faithfully as pastor at the Rocky Ridge Church. He has been thrice married, the first time being in Trigg County, in 1835, to Miss Susan Wharton, a daughter of John and Eliza Wharton. She was a native of Virginia, and to her were born five children-two sons and three daughters. This lady died in 1855. Mr. White was next married in Stewart County, Tenn., in December, 1858, to Miss Isabella Tate, of Lafayette, Christian County. She was the mother of three sons and one daughter, and her death occurred November 2, 1870. Mr. White's third marriage took place September 12, 1883, to Miss Cordelia Hanberry, a daughter of Thomas Hanberry, of Hopkinsville. ROBERT WILFORD was born October 3, 1823, in Trigg County; he is the oldest child of Bennett and Sarah (Randolph) Wilford, the former was born in North Carolina, the latter in Tennessee. In about 1815 his father came to Trigg County, settled on a farm; here our subject was born and reared; at the age of twenty-one he was placed as overseer on the farm of Albert G. Dabney, where he remained one year ; he then returned to his father's farm, where he remained two years; he then bought a farm of eighty acres, where he lived thirteen years; in 1865 he removed to Cadiz, where he has since resided and largely engaged in agricultural pursuits. His farm consists of 965 acres, adjoining the corporation, and is one of the best improved in the county. Ten hands are constantly employed on this farm. In 1870, he with his brother bought the Cadiz Mill; this they re-built at a cost of about $12,000. This mill has a capacity of about 150 bushels of wheat a day. Mr. Wilford had previously owned a mill at Little River, four miles east of Cadiz. He has owned as high as 3,500 acres of land; he now owns in all about 1,500 acres, and is one of the largest tax-payers in the county. He was married February 1, 1849, to Nancy, daughter of Cornelius Manning, who was born in 1774, in North Carolina; he died in Trigg County, in September, 1855. Her mother was born in 1778, in North Carolina; she died in Trigg County, in 1857.
W. W. WILSON was born May 13, 1860, in Trigg County. He is the eldest child of a family of seven, born to William A. and Cynthia (Young) Wilson; the former was born in August, 1832, near Kent's Bridge, Trigg County; he died April 15, 1878. The latter was born in Trigg County, in 1841; she died November 4, 1881. They owned at the time of their death about 900 acres; the subject of this sketch owns the homestead with 160 acres, and employs about seven hands and four teams on this farm.
A. T. WIMBERLY, editor, was born in Trigg County, September 1, 1847, son of Alfred and Maria (Savells) Wimberly. The former was born in North Carolina, the latter in Virginia. In about 1813 they were brought to this county with their parents. The father was engaged in agricultural pursuits; he died in 1873, aged seventy-three ; the mother now lives with her son, the subject of this sketch, who was brought up on his father's farm; there remained till about the age of nineteen, then came to Cadiz; was clerk for Ragon & Baker about one year; then removed to Murray, Ky.; remained there one year, then returned and engaged in school teaching at Canton, where he remained about two years; then came to Cadiz and taught school one term. He held the office of Justice of Peace, and during this time took up the study of law; his father having died in the meantime he gave up the study of law and returned to teaching in Wallonia; there taught four years. In January, 1872, returned to Cadiz and at once established the Kentucky Telephone, and since has been identified with the paper. He married, May 4, 1882, Miss Lula Grasty, of Lyon County. One daughter blesses this marriage.*- County of Trigg Kentucky , HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL - EDITED BY WILLIAM HENRY PERRIN - ILLUSTRATED. - F.A. BATTEY PUBLISHING CO. 1884.
Return to the main page of the History of Trigg County
Return to the Trigg KyGenWeb Home Page COPYRIGHT NOTICE:
In keeping with the Internet philosophy of providing free genealogical information, this data may be freely used for personal research and by non-commercial entities as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for profit or any form of presentation, must obtain the written consent of the file submitter, or his legal representative and then contact the listed above with proof of this consent.