HISTORY OF TRIGG COUNTY
CHAPTER I. - II - III - IV - V - VI - VII - VIII - IX - X -XI - XII
ROARING SPRINGS AND PRECINCT
Cadiz Precinct - Canton Precinct - Ferguson Springs - Laura Furnace - Linton
ROARING SPRINGS PRECINCT
CHARLES A. BACON was born in Charlotte County, Va., on February 15, 1807, and is a Son of Lyddall and Margaret (Crenshaw) Bacon. The parents were also natives of Charlotte County, and were of English descent. In that county they resided until their death. The father was drafted into the war of 1812, but being a man of family, his place was taken by his brother William. Charles A. remained at home until about twenty-two, and then spent some fifteen months in traveling in the South. Returning to Virginia, be taught school for some five years, and in December, 1832, came to Tennessee. He settled in Montgomery County, on a farm which at that time contained the first blockhouse ever erected in that region. He remained there only one year, and then came to Christian County, Ky. He first settled near Lafayette, and lived there about two years. He next went to Garrettsburg just as the town was being laid out. He remained there until 1838, and then moved to Beverly, where he farmed until the fall of 1839. At that time he sold out his farm and came to Lafayette, where he merchandised until 1842. He then moved to Garrettaburg and sold goods there until 1846. In that year he came to Roaring Springs (this county), and put up the first store ever built here. He merchandised here until 1854, when he sold out his stock and turned his attention to farming. He had prior to this purchased about 100 acres adjoining the town, which he afterward increased to 295. Here he has Since resided. Mr. Bacon was married in Halifax County, Vs., on February 12, 1832, to Miss Susan Rowlett, a daughter of Matthew J. and Martha (Pleasants) Rowlett, natives of Lunenburg County, Va. Mrs. Bacon was born in Halifax County, Va., on February 15, 1808, and to her were born five children. Of this number three are now living, viz.: Dr. Thomas L. Bacon, in Cadiz; Lyddall Bacon, a merchant in Memphis, and Dr. C. P. Bacon in Evansville. This lady died on October 11, 1841, and Mr. Bacon was next married on December 1.7, 1844, to Mrs. Margaret Gaines Ratcliff (nee Gibson), a daughter of Pitman and Susan Gibson. This lady was born in Christian County on June 7, 1823, and to her were born three children, all of whom are living: Malcolm M., John A. and Hillery (in Evansville). Mrs. Bacon died on November 13, 1880. The farm is at present carried on by John A. Bacon, who is also devoting some attention to stock-raising, making a specialty of fine Berkshire hogs. This gentleman was married on December 21, 1881, to Miss Lelia Sallee, a daughter of Henry and Bettie (Crenshaw) Sallee. Our subject has been identified with the Baptist Church since 1830. Is also a member of Roaring Springs Lodge, No. 221. In politics he has been a Whig since he cast his first vote, but has of late years been voting with the Democratic party.
JOSEPH BOYD, SR., was born in Trigg County on August 2, 1829, and is a son of Ebenezer and Mary (Sparkham) Boyd. The parents were natives of North Carolina. The father came to this State in 1800 with his parents, who first settled near Lexington. In 1810 they came to this county, where the grandmother died. The grandfather moved to Mississippi, where he died in about 1825. In this precinct the father grew to manhood, and settled in the southwest part of it. He lived there until his death, which occurred in April, 1874. He was a member of the Presbyterian Church. The mother died on July 4, 1846. Subject is the sixth of eight children, and of this number but four are living: Elizabeth J. (wife of Martin Campbell, of Christian County); Matthew H., in Davidson County, Tenn. ; Martha C., wife of Jesse Stamper, of Lafayette, and Joseph. Joseph commenced to learn the carpenter's trade when seventeen years old, and followed it for about fifteen years in Christian, Stewart, Montgomery and Trigg Counties. When about thirty years of age he turned his attention to farming, and settled on his present farm, where he has since resided. He owns about 220 acres, of which 180 acres are in cultivation. Mr. Boyd was married in Christian County on August 14, 1851, to Miss Mary F. Pratt, of Hopkinsville, a daughter of W. S. Pratt, who was a native of Madison County, Va. This lady was born in Christian County in 1830, and is the mother of five children, of whom four are living: Willie, in Lafayette; Charles H., Joseph Jr. and Frank C. Mr. Boyd is now acting as trustee of the Lafayette High School, which position he has held for the past ten years. Mrs. Boyd is a member of the Christian Church. Mr. Boyd is a member of Lafayette Masonic Lodge, and is identified with the Democratic party in politics.
CHARLES R. CLARK was born in Sussex County, Va., March 10, 1823, and is a son of F. H. and Nancy (Judkins) Clark. They were also natives of Virginia, and came to Stewart County, Tenn., in 1832. There the father died May 20, 1860, the mother August 29, 1851. Subject is the eldest of three living children : Charles R., Marcus L. and Ann E., widow of W. H. A. Pugh, of Stewart County, Tenn. Charles R. remained at home until about the age of twenty-two; he then came to Trigg County, and settled near the farm on which he now resides. In January, 1857, he came to his present farm, where he now owns about 350 acres. He has about 250 acres in cultivation and ten acres in orchard; he also pays some attention to stock-raising. Mr. Clark was married in Stewart County, Tenn., on December 14, 1851, to Miss Amanda Cherry, a daughter of Daniel and Rebecca (Stancell) Cherry, of North Carolina. Mrs. Clark is the mother of eleven living children Thomas H., Jesse H., James M., William M., Amalgus G., M. W., Yateman G., Charles W., Alonzo, Silas W. and Woodsey. Mrs. Clark is a member of the Baptist Church.
ELBRIDGE A. COLEMAN was born in what is now Caledonia Precinct, Trigg County, February 6, 1838. He was a son of James and Nancy (Wooton) Coleman. The parents were natives of Virginia, and came here at an early date. The father died in this county in about 1838, the mother in 1848. Elbridge A. is the second of four children, of whom two are now living: Mrs. Mary F. Wooton, of Caledonia Precinct, and Elbridge, our subject. The latter commenced life for himself at about twenty-one years of age, and settled down in Caledonia Precinct. He lived there until 1877, when he purchased the Lindsey Mill in this precinct, and moved to his present location. The mill, which is now known as " Echo Vale" Mill, is one of the best mills in the county and is now valued at about $5,000. To the mill Mr. Coleman devotes most of his attention ; he, however, owns a farm of about 675 acres it this and Caledonia Precinct, and has farming carried on for him. He was married in this county on August 27, 1863, to Miss Mary J. Carter a daughter of Jesse and Emeline (Sallee) Carter. The father was a native of Virginia, the mother of Montgomery County, Tenn. Her father was of French descent, and settled first in Christian County, but afterward came to Trigg, where he died in 1875. The mother is still living with her daughter. Mrs. Coleman was born in Christian County on May 17, 1845, and to her and husband have been born twelve children, of whom eight are now living: Alva (wife of Dr. J. A. Miller), James D., Emma A., Anne I., Jesse C., Thomas F., Maud B. and Bettie L. Mr. and Mrs. Coleman are both embers of the Little River Baptist Church. In politics he has been identified with the Democratic party.
THOMAS CRENSHAW was born in this precinct and county on June 10, 1820; he is the only living one of three children born to Cornelius and Nancy (Kent) Crenshaw. The parents were natives of Halifax County, Va., and emigrated to this county in 1819. The father soon after his arrival here purchased about 440 acres at $5 per acre (the land now forms part of the farm owned by subject), and there resided until his death. In his life-time he was a consistent church member, having been at first identified with the United Baptist denomination, afterward with the Christian Church, to which he belonged at the time of his death. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, having gone out in a Virginia company; he was stationed at Norfolk and was an officer in the ranks. Our subject at the age of twenty-five assumed control of the home farm for his father, and continued the management of it until the latter's death. He inherited his father's estate of about 440 acres, which he has since increased to about 1,000 acres. Of this there are about 600 acres in cultivation. He also does something in stock-raising, handling about 100 head yearly. In farming he makes nothing a specialty, but raises all the cereals and also tobacco. Mr. Crenshaw was married in this county on September 22, 1840, to Miss Eliza Ann Greenwade. This lady was a daughter of John and Annie (Thomas) Greenwade, the father being a native of Maryland, the mother of Bourbon County, Ky. This lady was born in Trigg County in 1823, and to her were born eight children, seven of whom are living, viz.: Elizabeth R., wife of Thomas Cochran; Susan B., wife of Henry Richards; Malcolm B.; Nancy E., wife of E. M. Jones; Thomas E., Robert C. in Christian County, and Millard F., in Hopkinsville. Her death occurred on December 30, 1858, and Mr. Crenshaw was married on May 17, 1860, to Miss Cynthia A. Carland, a daughter of Hugh and Nancy (Richards) Carland. The father was a native of Pennsylvania, the mother of Maryland. Both lived and died in New Brighton, Penn. Mrs. Crenshaw's ancestors were of a patriotic stock. Two of her great-uncles were soldiers in the Revolution, and were killed at the battle of Bunker Hill, and her maternal grandfather was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was killed at the battle of Chippewa. Mrs. Crenshaw was born in Sharon, Penn., on December 30, 1830, and is the mother of one child-Hugh C. Most of Mr. Crenshaw's life has been spent in farming ; he has, however, devoted some attention to merchandising, and has also dealt some in commission business. in politics Mr. Crenshaw was first an old line Whig, during the war a Union man, and since that time he has been identified with the Democratic party. Mr. and Mrs. Crenshaw and family are members of the Christian Church.
ALBERT CRENSHAW was born in Trigg County on June 10, 1840, and is a son of Robenson and Mary (Walden) Crenshaw. The father was born in Halifax County, Va., in September, 1.816. He was a son of Cornelius and Nancy (Kent) Crenshaw, who came here in 1S19. The father grew to manhood in this county, and resided here until his death on February 12, 1853. The mother was also born in this county on September 22, 1820, and died here on December 31, 1851. The parents were both members of the Christian Church. Subject is the eldest of six children, all of whom are living, viz.: Albert, James, born June 22, 1842, now in Hopkins County; William B., born November 18, 1844, now in Oxford, Kas.; Robenson, born June 4, 1847, now in Cadiz; John W., born September 27, 1849, also in Cadiz, and Cornelius, born November 6, 1851, and now in Texas. The common schools of this county and Christian furnished his education. After his father's death he made his home with his uncle, Thomas Crenshaw. At the age of nineteen he began clerking in a dry goods store at Roaring Springs, and remained there three years. He next turned his attention to farming and settled in the northwestern part of the precinct, where he resided until 1870. In that year he came to his present farm, where he now owns about 270 acres, of which there are about 250 acres in cultivation. Mr. Crenshaw was married on October 31, 1861, in this county, to Miss Emma Rasco, a daughter of J. M. and Sarah (Johnson) Rasco. The father was a native of this county, the mother of Christian. Mrs. Crenshaw was born in this county on October 26, 1844, and is the mother of nine children, of whom six are now living: Mary F., born January 6, 1863 (now the wife of C. F. Miller); Sallie R., born January 24, 1865; Ernest L., born May 24, 1866; Emma, born September 30, 1875; Albert W., born February 14, 187$ ; Myrtle born September 14, 1879. Of the deceased ones : James M.. born March 20, 1868, died October 11, 1874; George S., born December 14, 1871, died October 10, 1874 Robert, born March 20, 1873, died April 23, 1874. In politics Mr. Crenshaw supports the Democratic party. Both Mr. and Mrs. Crenshaw are members of the Christian Church, and Mr. Crenshaw is now an Elder in that denomination.
SAMUEL J. DAWSON is descended from one of the earliest pioneer families of the county. He was born in this precinct on January 14, 1337. and is a son of Samuel and Maria (Masonfrith) Dawson. The father was born in Bourbon County. Ky., on August 14, 1800; his father, John Dawson, was born in Virginia. and was of English descent. The latter came to this county in 1817, with his son, and settled on the head waters of Casey Creek. There he died in about 1832 ; his wife in about 1841. Samuel Dawson grew to manhood in this county, and in 1827, he was married to Miss Masonfrith, who was a native of Bedford County, Va., and was born there on May 16, 1805. He inherited 200 acres from his father, and settled down about two miles northwest of Roaring Springs; he afterward increased the farm to 455 acres, and continued to reside there until his death, which occurred on June 28, 1863. For a short time he served as Constable of the county. He was identified with the Sons of Temperance. He was a man of fair education for his day and time, was well read on all subjects ; was possessed of a fine memory, and was regarded as an authority by his neighbors on all subjects of dispute. The mother is still living on the old home farm. Samuel J. (subject) is the youngest of four living children : Susan E., widow of J. A. Miller; Rhoda M.. John W. and Samuel J. The latter commenced life for himself when about twenty-five years of age, and soon after settled on his present farm. He now owns 175 acres; has 140 acres in cultivation. Mr. Dawson was married in Lafayette, Christian Co., on April 22, 1862, to Miss Margaret Clardy, a daughter of John H. and Ann Eliza Watkins Clardy The father was born in Mecklenburg County, Va., but was reared principally in North Carolina; the mother was born in Warren County, N. C. Mrs. Dawson was born on October 24, 1843, and to her and husband have been born three living children: Marion, Blanche and Samuel. Mrs. Dawson is a member of the Christian Church. During the war Mr. Dawson was a strong Union man, but since that time he has been identified with the Democratic party.
WICKLIFFE DAWSON was born in this county on March 1, 1853, and is a son of Greenup and Susan J. (Calloway) Dawson. Subject is the youngest living child ; his education was received in the schools of the county. He remained at home until twenty-six, and in 1879, he moved to Roaring Springs where he remained till November, 1881, when he came to his present farm, which consists of 240 acres, of which there are about 160 acres in cultivation. Mr. Dawson was married in Clarksville, Montgomery Co., Tenn., on October 29, 1878, to Miss Belle Nance, a daughter of E. T. and Sallie (Snow) Nance, natives of Virginia. Three children have blessed this union, two of whom are now living: Idyle and Effle. Mrs. Dawson is a member of the Christian Church. In politics, Mr. Dawson is identified with the Democratic party. MOSCO GARNETT was born in this precinct on October 8, 1827, and is a son of James and Polly (Brown) Garnett. The father was born in Virginia, on February 23, 1787. He came to Woodford County with his parents in an early day, and in 182:3 he settled in this precinct. Here he died on November 5, 1870; he was a member of the Baptist Church. Under the old constitution he was Magistrate of the precinct, and finally, by virtue of priority became Sheriff of the county. The mother died in this county on August 11, 1869. Mosco is the youngest of ten children, of whom four are now living: Fannie, widow of Charles Humphreys; Charles W., in Graves County; Susan, wife of Isaac Dabney, and now in Texas; and Mosco. The latter remained at home until about the age of twenty-three, and then commencing life for himself, settling on his present farm ; he now owns about 250 acres, of which there are 200 acres in cultivation. Mr. Garnett was married in this county October 20, 1853, to Miss Susan Savells, a daughter of Absalom and Lurana (Savells) Savells. The parents were natives of Norfolk County, Va., and were early settlers of Cadiz Precinct. Mrs. Garnett was born in this county February 25, 1823. This union has resulted in eight children, five of whom are now living, viz.: Cornelia, wife of G. P. Carloss; Mary E.; Henry 0.; Susan Dabney, wife of Lesley Tuggle, of Cadiz Precinct, and Lulu. Mr. and Mrs. Garnett are members of the Locust Grove Baptist Church. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and is identified with the Democratic party.
J. W. HAYES, SR., was born in Garrettsburg Precinct, Christian County, May 28, 1824, and is a son of John T. and Elizabeth (Brame) Hayes. The parents were natives of Mecklenburg County, Va., and came to Christian County in 1823. There the mother died when subject was but an infant, and the father came to Trigg County soon after this event. He settled one mile south of Roaring Springs, and remained there until his death, which occurred January 19, 1849. Subject is the only living child. He remained at home until twenty-one, and then went to Williamson County, Tenn., where he worked at the blacksmith trade for six months, and then returned to the home farm, where he remained two years; he commenced for himself by settling on a farm about one mile west of Roaring Springs. In 1856 he came to his present farm; he first bought 170 acres, now has about 590 acres, and is at present paying some attention to stock-raising. Mr. Hayes was married in this county, October 21, 1848, to Miss Jane Nance, a daughter of L. and Onie (Sims) Nance, natives of Virginia. This lady was born in Trigg County, June 1827, and died on July 29, 1851. Subject's second marriage took place October 21, 1852, to Miss Lucy A. Ledford, a daughter of Andrew and Martha S. (Lewis) Ledford, both natives of Virginia, and early settlers in the county. Mrs. Hayes was born in this county April 23, 1837, and seven children have been born to her and husband, viz.: Mary L., wife of W. E. Thacker; Martha E., wife of Albert Rasco; James A., John W., Jennie L., Henry T. and Titia C. Mr. Hayes and family are members of the Christian Church. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and in politics a Democrat.
DR. H. L. J. HILLE was born in Oldenburg, Germany, August 26, 1850, and is a son of William and Mary (Lotze) Hille. The father was born in Austria, the mother in Oldenburg, Germany. A brother of hers, Herman Lotze, has achieved considerable notoriety as an author. The parents came to this country in 1842, and first settled in New Orleans. From there they went to West Virginia, and there the father first followed merchandising, afterward saw-milling. The parents were on a visit to Germany when subject was born, and they returned to this country soon after the latter event. The father continued to reside in West Virginia until his death, which occurred November 3, 1876. The mother died at Roaring Springs December 17, 1883. Subject is the sixth of fifteen children, of whom but five are now living, viz.: Henry (subject), Anna, Dora (wife of Robert Camp, in Texas), Adolph (in Hopkinsville), and Fannie (wife of Dr. Greenwade, of Texas). Our subject's education was received in the schools of Putnam and Mason Counties, W. Va., and at the Gallipolis (Ohio) Academy. He commenced the study of medicine when seventeen years old with Dr. A. R. Barbee, of Point Pleasant, W. Va.; he read with this gentleman four years, and then attended the medical department at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. From this institution he graduated in the class of 1871 ; he began the practice of his profession immediately afterward, and first settled in Kanawha County, W. Va.; he remained at this point two years, and then went to Sherman, Grayson Co., Tex.; there he remained four years, and then came to Kentucky ; he immediately made Roaring Springs his place of residence, and has since had a fair share of the practice of this part of the country. Dr. Hille was married at Dover, Tenn., October 25, 1875, to Miss Camille Walter, a daughter of Bernard Walter, of Dover, Tenn. she was born February 18, 1855, and is the mother of five children, of whom three are now living--Mary, Henry and Mabel. In politics the Doctor votes the Democratic ticket.
GARLAND W. JONES was born in Mecklenburg County, Va., July 21, 1837, and is a son of Col. J. T. and Louisa A. (Yancey) Jones; the father was a native of North Carolina, the mother of Virginia; they came to Kentucky in 1847, and settled in Montgomery County in 1848; in the following year they came to Trigg County, and settled one mile north of Roaring Springs; there he resided until he died, July 19, 1874; when he came to the county he first purchased 200 acres, which he afterward increased to about 1,000, which after his death was divided and a part of it sold. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church the mother is still living on part of the home farm. Subject is the eldest of five living children: Garland W., Amos K. (in Graves County), Malinda E. (wife of D. A. McKennon, of Paducah, Ky.), Tillman G. and Carrie V. (wife of Lee Hutchingson); he remained at home until twenty-one; he then received about 280 acres from his father, and commenced life for himself; this farm he afterward increase to 430 acres, on which he now resides. Mr. Jones was married, in Graves County, Ky., October 21, 1880, to Miss Bettie Houston, a daughter of George and Louisa (Moore) Houston. The father was a native of Virginia, the mother of Todd County, Ky. ; both parents are still living in this precinct Mrs. Jones was born in Todd County September 20, 1857 ; this union was blessed with two children, one of whom, Garland H., is living. Mr. Jones was a soldier in the late war. He enlisted in November, 1862, in Col. Woodward's regiment, but was only out a short time. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are both members of the Methodist Church. In politics Mr. Jones gives his support to the Democratic party.
TILLMAN G-. JONES was born in Pearson County, N. C., on February 9, 1845, and is the sixth of nine children, born to Col. J. T. and Louisa A. (Yancey) Jones. Tiliman G. remained at home until the age of twenty-two, and then began clerking for Richards, Crenshaw & Co., at Roaring Springs. He remained there about six months, and then came to Cadiz and clerked a short time. He next bought tobacco for parties at Newbarg, Tenn. In 1868 he was appointed Deputy Sheriff, and served for about three months under Sheriff Dyer. He then returned home, and taking charge of his fathers business managed it until the latter's death. He then ran the farm for four .years for his mother, and in 1878 came to his present location. He now owns 190 acres, cultivates about 140 acres, and is also doing considerable in stock raising. Mr. Jones was married in this county on Oct. 14, 1874, to Miss Julia Greenwade, a daughter of Isaac and Elizabeth (Kane) Greenwade. This family was one of the earliest pioneer families in the county. Isaac Greenwade was born here, and his father John Greenwade came from Virginia in a very early day. His people were of English descent. Mrs. Greenwade was also a native of this county, and is still living at Lafayette. Mrs. Jones was born in this county on July 14, 1846, and to her and husband have been born six children, of whom four are now living: Herbert C., Bertha M., James G. and Coatney E. Mr. Jones is a member of the Methodist Church ; his wife of the Christian Church. In politics Mr. Jones is a Democrat.
JOSEPH LEDFORD was born in this precinct and county on February 16, 1816, and was a son of Joseph, Sr., and Jane (Smith) Ledford. The parents were natives of South Carolina, and came to this county in the fall of 1815. Here the father resided until his death, which occurred in October, 1845. He was a member of the Baptist Church. Joseph Ledford is the third of six children, and is the only one now living. He remained at home until about twenty-five and then settled on his present farm. He now owns about 800 acres, and has about 400 acres in cultivation. Mr. Ledford was married in this county on December 7, 1843, to Miss Onie D. Nance, a daughter of Peyton and Nellie (Sims) Nance. The parents were natives of Virginia, and came to this county in 1826. Mrs. Ledford was born in Virginia on August 2, 1824, and was the mother of five children: T. P. D., Alice E. L. (wife of W. A. Ledford), George, E. J. A., and Annie. Mrs. Ledford died on March 2, 1862. Mr. Ledford was a Union man during the war, and is at present identified with the Democratic party.
W. W. LEWIS was born in Lafayette Precinct, Christian County, on November 28, 1849, and is a son of P. M. and M. J. (Ledford) Lewis. The father was born in Charlotte County, N. C., on May 2, 1812, and was of English and Welsh descent; he came to Lexington, Ky., in 1812, with his parents ; he came to Christian County in 1820 and resided there until 1853, when he came to Trigg County. In this county he lived until his death, which occurred on January 14, 1884; he was a Mason and a member of the Christian Church. The mother was born in Trigg County on July 30, 1820, and died here on November 20, 1876. Subject is the oldest of five children, four of whom are now living: William W., Mattie J., George P. and Henry. Subject was educated in the common schools of the county, and also attended the academy at Elkton, Todd County, for a short time. He commenced farming on the home place in 1870, and now owns 200 acres. Has about 125 acres in cultivation ; he is a member of the Christian Church, and of Roaring Springs Lodge, No. 221, A. F. & A. M. In politics he is a Democrat.
G. W. McCRAW was born in Montgomery County, Tenn., on February 22, 1848, and is a son of William and Thetus (11111) McCraw. The father is a native of Charlotte County, Va., the mother of Montgomery County, Tenn. They came to this county in 1859, and are still living here. Subject is the fifth of thirteen children, of whom nine are now living. When twenty-two years of age he began working at the saddler's trade, but only followed this industry about twelve months ; he next turned his attention to farming, and first settled near Fairview, Todd County. From there he moved to Christian County, settled near Lafayette, and in 1877 he came to his present farm. He now owns about seventy-three acres. Mr. McCraw was married in Todd County on December 10, 1872, to Miss Mary E. Fuicher, a daughter of Joseph and Mary A. (Nichols) Fulcher. Mrs. McCraw was born in Todd County on May 10, 1843, and is the mother of four living children: Jennie B., Mack H., Joseph R. and Bennie. Mr. McCraw is a member of the Methodist Church.
WILLIAM ROBERTS was born on July 18, 1810, on Little River in what was then Christian County, now Cadiz Precinct, Trigg Co. He is a son of John and Nancy (Atkins) Roberts. The father was born in Buckingham County, Va., in 1759. His father died when he was quite young. At the age of sixteen John Roberts volunteered to go as a guard to a party who were coming West. The party came to what is now Nashville, Tenn., and Mr. Roberts was one of a number who helped erect the block-house that stood where the capitol building now stands. He lived at this point for some time, and there his first wife was killed and scalped by the Indians. He came to this county in 1804, and settled near Cerulean Springs. in the early part of the year 1814 he came to Little River, and purchased a tract of land from David McKee, and which is now included in the Cadiz Precinct. Here he resided until his death which occurred on January 7, 1833. The mother died here on October 7, 1837. She was a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Our subject was the eldest of four brothers : William, Robert It., David L. and Phineas E. Of this number, David L., now in Mississippi, and William (subject), are the only ones living. William remained at home until after his mother's death and then commenced life for, himself and settled on Little River in this precinct. In 1841 he came to his present farm, where he has since resided. He now owns 220 acres, of which eighty-five are in cultivation. Mr. Roberts was married on July 9, 1833, to Miss Nancy Malone, a daughter of Booth and Martha A. (Darnell) Malone, natives of Montgomery County, Tenn. Mrs. Roberts was born in that county in 1813. To her and husband have been born eight children, of whom three are now living: John W. (at home), Richard R. Roberts (a merchant in St. Louis, Mo.), and Susan A. (wife of Irving Branden, of Wallonia). Mrs. Roberts died on January 7, 1859, and subject was next married to Mrs. Medas J. Nelson, a daughter of Mahala and Rebecca (Randolph) Ingram. Mrs. Roberts was born in Claiborne County, Miss., on August 15, 1822. Mr. Roberts is a member of Roaring Springs Lodge, A. F. M., and a member of the Methodist Church. He cast his first vote for Andrew Jackson for President, and has since then been a strong Democrat.
WILLIAM S. ROGERS was born in this precinct on October 29, 1824, and is a son of John and Martha (Scott) Rogers. The grandfather, John Rogers Sr., came here at an early date and settled on the farm now owned by subject, where he died. There the father was probably born, and died in about 1841. The mother was a daughter of William Scott, who came here from Virginia. She died in about .1876. Subject is the fourth of six children, of whom but two are now living: Mrs. Telitha J. Sholar and William S. (subject). The latter remained at home until about twenty-five, and then settled on the farm where he now resides; he owns 279 acres, of which about 160 are in cultivation; he was married in this county on January 15, 1846, to Matilda Tart, a daughter of James and Mary (Lawrence) Tart, natives of North Carolina. Mrs. Rogers is a native of this county, and is the mother of eleven children, of whom seven are now living: Joseph G., in Texas; William H., Cyrus W., in Texas; Mary B., wife of J. P. Joiner, of Texas; Franklin H., Freeman T., in Texas; Ira B. William S. is a member of the Baptist Church. In politics he is a Republican.
U. L. ROGERS was born in this county on September 14, 1846, and is the next to the youngest of a family of six children born to Benjamin S. and Polly (Lancaster) Rogers. The father was a native of North Carolina. The mother was born in this county; her people were also from North Carolina. The father died in 1849, but the mother is still living with subject. The latter took charge of the home farm in 1865, which now contains about 400 acres, of which 250 are in cultivation. He also does something in atock-rasing. He is a member of Linton Lodge, No. 575, A. F. & A. M.
SAMUEL SUMNER was born in Canton Precinct, Trigg County, on May 27, 1845. He is a son of Joel and Catherine (Miles) Sumner. His grandfather, Isaac Sumner, was one of the first settlers of the county. He came here from North Carolina in an early day, and made a settlement on Donaldson Creek. There the father of subject was born, and lived until his death in the spring of 1852. The mother was also a native of this county, and died here in May, 1863. Subject is the youngest of eleven children, of whom six are now living: James, in Canton Precinct; Alfred, in the same precinct ; Green, in Stewart County, Tenn.; Ben, in Texas; Mary E., wife of Lafayette Ricks ; and Samuel, our subject. The latter remained at home until the age of eighteen, and then, soon after the breaking-out of the war, he enlisted in Capt. Slaughter's company of Col. Woodward's regiment. He had been out about four months when he was taken prisoner, and sent to Louisville. After being confined there for some little time he took the oath of allegiance and was permitted to return home. He next began working at the carpenter's trade, and followed it in Canton and vicinity for about eighteen months. He then began farming near the home place. In 1872 he came to his present farm, where he now owns about 210 acres, of which about eighty-five acres are in cultivation. On November 3, 1863, Mr. Sumner was married to Miss Lucy L. Rogers, a daughter of Joseph Rogers, one of the pioneer settlers here. Mrs. Sumner was born in this county, and is the mother of seven children, of whom five are now living, viz.: Elizabeth C., Joseph A., Jesse F., Addison B. and Olive T. Both Mr. and Mrs. Sumner are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Sumner is an ordained preacher of this church, and is at present acting as pastor of the Baptist Church; is also a member of Canton Lodge, No; 242, A. F. & A. M. He has served as Coroner of the county for four years. In politics he is a Democrat.
DR. J. A. WHITLOCK was born in Union Schoolhouse Precinct, Christian County, on May 1, 1850, and is a son of Dr. J. C. and Maria F. (Withrow) Whitlock. The father was a native of Louisa County, Va.; was born there in 1818, and was of English descent. He came to this county when a boy, and lived in Caledonia Precinct. He took up the study of medicine and graduated at the Philadelphia Medical College. Returning to this State, he settled in Union Schoolhouse Precinct, and is to-day one of the most successful practitioners of Christian County. The mother is also still living. Our subject is the second of a family of five children, three of whom are now living, viz.: Lucy, Kate (wife of Alfred Wallace) and John A. The latter received his literary education at the Washington College at Lexington. Returning to this county, he began the study of medicine with his father; he read with him two years, and then attended the University of Medicine at Louisville. From this institution he graduated in the class of 1873. He returned to Christian County and first settled at Newstead; he remained there five years, and then came to Caledonia, Trigg Co.; he resided at this point one year and next moved to Bennettstown, Christian Co. There he remained two years, and then went to Pee Dee, Christian Co. On October, 1883, he came to Roaring Springs, where he now has a fair practice. On July 13, 1873, Dr. Whitlock was married in Christian County to Miss Mary L. McReynolds. a daughter of 0. G. and Sarah L. (McCalliscer) McReynolds, natives of Virginia and early settlers of Christian County. Mrs. Whitlock was born in that county on April 13, 1853. Dr. Whitlock is a member of the State Medical Society, and of the Christian County Medical Society. Is also a member of the Presbyterian Church, his wife of the Christian. Subject is a member of James Moore Lodge, No. 230 A. F. & A. M., and Locust Grove, No. 127, I. 0. 0. F. In politics he is identified with the Democratic party.*- County of Trigg Kentucky , HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL - EDITED BY WILLIAM HENRY PERRIN - ILLUSTRATED. - F.A. BATTEY PUBLISHING CO. 1884.
Return to the main page of the History of Trigg County
Return to the Trigg KyGenWeb Home Page COPYRIGHT NOTICE:
In keeping with the Internet philosophy of providing free genealogical information, this data may be freely used for personal research and by non-commercial entities as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for profit or any form of presentation, must obtain the written consent of the file submitter, or his legal representative and then contact the listed above with proof of this consent.