HISTORY OF TRIGG COUNTY
CHAPTER I. - II - III - IV - V - VI - VII - VIII - IX - X -XI - XII
CANTON PRECINCTW. T. CUNNINGHAM was born in Rock Castle Precinct on March 30, 1888, and is a son of William and Virginia (Mitchell) Cunningham. Subject is the third of nine children, of whom eight are living. He remained at home until eighteen, then commenced life for himself, and settled down on a farm of 180 acres in that precinct. He resided there until 1868, when he came to Canton Precinct, and settled at the month of Little River. In December, 1883, he came to his present farm, where he now owns 200 acres. Subject was married, in 1868, to Miss Mattie Cameron, a daughter of John and Frances (Daniel) Cameron. Mrs. Cunningham was born in this county, and is the mother of five children-two Sons and three daughters. Mr. Cunningham was a soldier in the late war, having enlisted in Company C, of the First Tennessee Cavalry, in the fall of 1861; remained in service three years; was taken prisoner at Gallatin, and was confined on Johnson's Island for seven months.
E. A. CUNNINGHAM was born in Rock Castle Precinct May 12, 1843, and is a son of William and Virginia (Mitchell) Cunningham. The father was born in Halifax County, Va., in 1800, and came to this county in 1817 with his father, William Cunningham. He made his home in this county until his death in the fall of 1880. E. A. Cunningham is the sixth of nine children, of whom eight are now living. He remained at home until he was of age, and then settled in the Canton Precinct, where he remained two years. He then moved to Cadiz Precinct; resided there five years, and afterward farmed in Rock Castle Precinct for eight years. In the fall of 1880, he came to his present farm, where he now owns about 300 acres. He devotes his attention mainly to tobacco growing. Mr. Cunningham was married in 1866 to Miss Margaret Hendrick, a daughter of George Hendrick. This lady was the mother of five sons, and died in January, 1877. In May following he was married to Miss Bettie Stalons, a daughter of Reuben Stalons of Cadiz Precinct. Two daughters bless this union. Mrs. Cunningham died in February, 1881, and Mr. Cunningham was next married in April, 1881, to Miss Susan F. Robenson, a daughter of Charles Robenson, of Lyon County. One child blesses this union. Mr. and Mrs. Cunningham are members of the Baptist Church. Mr. Cunningham was a soldier in the Rebellion, having enlisted in Company G, of the Fourth Kentucky Regiment, Confederate States of America, on August 22, 1861. He served until May 22, 1865. He was a non-commissioned officer. Among the battles in which he participated might be mentioned Baton Rouge, Chickamauga, Dalton, Ga., and many others. He was shot through the knee at the battle of Chickamauga.
J. A. FOUTCH was born what is now De Kalb County (then Smith County) Tenn., on February 17, 1830, and is a son of William and Sallie (Welch) Foutch. The parents were both natives of North Carolina. Subject was next to the youngest of a family of six children. He remained at home until twenty-one, and then settled down in his native county. In 1860 he moved to Putnam County, Tenn. He remained there only one year, and then returned to his native county. In 1865 he came to Trigg County, and settled on his present farm. He now owns ninety-nine acres. Mr. Foutch was married, in 1852. to Miss Sarah Washer, a daughter of John and Frankie (Young) Washer. This lady was born in Smith County, Tenn., and was the mother of four (living) children-one son and three daughters. She died in October. 1880. Mr. Foutch was next married April 4, 1881, to Mrs. E. J. Wallace (flee Gre8ham), a daughter of James and Betsey (Dunn) Gresham, natives of this county. Mr. Foutch is a member of the Baptist Church. Mrs. Foutch of the Methodist. Mr. Foutch is a member of Canton Lodge, No. 242. Subject was a soldier in the late war, having enlisted in November, 1861, in Gordon's Battalion, Confederate States of America. He was taken prisoner in June, 1863, while on a furlough at home and subsequently confined at Louisville, Camp Chase and Fort Delaware. He remained in prison until February, 1865.
ANDREW C. HARRIS was born in this county on August 22, 1854, and is a son of James and Lurania (Cromwell) Harris; the parents are natives of Tennessee, came to this county about 1854, and are still living. Andrew C. is the fourth of nine children, of whom six are now living; he remained at home until 1881, helping his father, who is disabled; he then came to his present farm, where he now owns 109 acres; he pays especial attention to stock-raising, handling from twenty .to thirty bead of cattle per year. Mr. Harris was married on January 5, 1881, to Miss Queen V. Peal, a daughter of Bayley and Frances (Prescott) Peal. Two daughters-Effie May and Arminda-bless this union. Mr. and Mrs. Harris are members of the Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church.
JAMES A. HOLLAND was born in Golden Pond Precinct June 7, 1848, and is a son of William and Mary (Jones) Holland; the father was also a native of this county, his grandfather, Basil Holland, having come to this county from North Carolina as early as 1805. The mother was also born in this county, and her people were immigrants from South Carolina. When subject was about a year old his parents came to this precinct, and here the father died in 1882 ; the mother is still living. Subject is the oldest of four children; he remained at home until twenty-one, and then went to Missouri, where he remained two years; he next returned to this county and engaged in carpentering. In 1879 he went to Cerulean Springs, where he learned the trade of blacksmith and wagon maker; he remained there two years, and then came to this county; here he has since followed his trade; he also does something in farming. He was married in 1870 to Miss Margaret Holland, a daughter of Whitmel Holland. This marriage has resulted in five children, two of whom are living: Pearlie M. and Julia A. Mr. Holland and wife are members of the Baptist Church. He has been identified with the Good Templar organization.
JOSHUA HOPSON, deceased, was born in Halifax County, Va., on January 5, 1812, and was a 80n of Morgan and Nancy J. (Boyd) Hopson. The father was a son of Joseph Hopson, and was also born in Virginia; he read law in that State and practiced some. In 181S he Ca me to Christian County and settled near Garrettsburg. There Joseph Hopson died. The father represented Christian County in the Legislature in 1816-17. In 1831 he came to what is now Trigg County, and settled in Canton Precinct; here he resided until his death, in 1858. Our subject remained at home until he became of age and then settled down in the Canton Precinct, about three miles from the town. There he resided until 1848, and then moved to within a mile of Canton. In 1853 he removed to Golden Pond Precinct, and resided there until 1865; he then moved back to Canton Precinct and remained there until his death on March 18, 1877. He was one of the most extensive farmers in the county, and at one time owned about 2,500 acres, which he divided among his children prior to his death. In 1855 he began to run a ferry across Cumberland River at Canton. At first he owned only a half interest, but afterward purchased the whole; his widow still has charge of the ferry. Mr. Hopson was married in 1832 to Miss Leah Wade, a daughter of Hampton and Jane (Simmons) Wade, natives of Virginia. This lady was born in Virginia, and was the mother of six children, three dead and three living-two sons and a daughter. She died in 1846, and Mr. Hopson was next married to Miss Mira Moore, a daughter of Jefferson and Mary (Dulin) Moore, natives of Virginia and early settlers of Christian County. Mrs. Hopson was born in Christian County, and is the mother of four living children-one son and three daughters. Mrs. Hopson is a member of the Canton Christian Church, as was also Mr. Hopson prior to his death.
MORGAN HOPSON was born in this county October 29, 1833, and is a son of Joshua and Leah (Wade) Hopson. Subject is the eldest of six children, of whom three are now living. He remained at home until the age of sixteen, and then clerked in a store at Canton for about two years; he next went to Garrettsburg, and clerked one year. In 1853 he moved to Mississippi, and there he engaged in agricultural pursuits until 1864; he then returned to Trigg County, and settled on his present farm. He first inherited 800 acres, and at present owns about 2,500 acres in this county, and 1,000 acres in Mississippi. Of the whole there are about 1,600 acres in cultivation. He pays considerable attention to stock-raising and trading. Mr. Hopson was married in Mississippi, January 14, 1858, to Miss Virginia L. Allen, a daughter of David B. Allen. Mrs. Hopson was born in Mississippi, and is the mother of ten living children-five sons and five daughters. Mr. Hopson and family are members of the Baptist Church; he is a member of the Knights of Honor.
THOMAS N. INGRAM was born in Hickman County, Tenn., on March 11, 1815, and is a son of Thomas and Susannah (Gee) Ingram. The parents were natives of Virginia, and came to Tennessee in an early day. The father was a soldier in the war of 1812, and was among the soldiers sent to New Orleans to meet Gen. Pakenham; while there he was taken sick and died. The mother died in Hickman County, in 1828. Thomas N. is the youngest of four children. His earlier education was received in Carroll County. In 1832 he went to Mississippi, and remained in the State two years clerking and farming. In January, 1835, he returned to Kentucky and settled in Calloway County. There he engaged in merchandising until 1839, when he came to Canton. Here he first sold goods in the building now occupied by W. C. Major as a hotel. He engaged in thi8 business three years, and then bought a farm, which he ran four years. He was then elected Constable, and served in that capacity eight years; he afterward engaged in driving horses and mules to the South for some time. In 1874 he was elected Magistrate, and is still holding that office. Mr. Ingram was married in Calloway County, in 1838, to Miss Nancy J. Martin, a daughter of James Martin. Mrs. Ingram was born in Hopkins County, Ky., and is the mother of ten children, four of whom are now living-two sons and two daughters. He has been Secretary of Canton Lodge, No. 242, A. F. & A. M., since 1854. In 1857 he and Mr. Young Linn edited a paper at Canton, called the Canton Dispatch. This paper continued in circulation for about one year, and was well patronized. In 1859 he and his son, J. T. Ingram, one of the firm of J. S. Spiceland & Co., who were publishing the Southern Yeoman in Canton at that time, bought the interest of J. S. Spice-land, and published the Southern Yeoman until the fall of 1860: sold a half interest to C. 0. Coulter, and moved the publication place to the city of Mayfield, where they continued the publication until 1861, when it was suspended on account of the ravages of the war.
DR. GEORGE H. JEFFERSON was born in Cadiz, Trigg Co., Ky., on August 31, 1831, and is a son of Dr. Thomas B. and Martha A. (Graves) Jefferson. Subject was the second of a family of eight children, of whom six are living. His education was received in Cadiz. When sixteen years of age he commenced reading medicine with his father, and attended lectures at Louisville in 1851 and 1852. Returning to Cadiz he entered into partnership with his father, and remained with him three years. He then came to Canton, where he has had a very extensive practice. He owns about 800 acres, and has farming carried on for him. Dr. Jefferson was married, October 18, 1855, to Miss Nancy J. Hopson, a daughter of Joshua and Leah (Wade) Hopson. Mrs. Jefferson was born in this county, in 1838, and is the mother of eleven children, of whom six are now living. Subject has been identified with the Canton Masonic Lodge. Is a member of the Trigg County Medical Society, and has served as President of that organization one year.
LEVI L. JOHNSON was born in Linton Precinct January 13, 1828, and is a son of Wiley and Margaret (Craig) Johnson. The father was also born in this county; his father, Randle Johnson, having come here from South Carolina at a very early day. The latter died here in about 1842. Mr. Wiley Johnson died in 1834 when subject was but six years old. The mother died in 1879. Subject was the second of a family of five children, of whom four are now living. At the age of thirteen he was apprenticed to Mr. C. B. Senseney, at Linton, to learn the tanner's trade. Remained with him about four and a half years. He then came home and resided with his mother until 1847. In that year he came to his present farm, where he built a tan-yard. This he ran until about 1875 when he was compelled to give it up; he also has paid some attention to farming, and now owns about 500 acres. Mr. Johnson was married in January, 1849, to Miss Mary Vinson, a daughter of Ezekiel and Mary (Wallace) Vinson, natives of South Carolina. Mrs. Johnson was born in this county and was the mother of seven children, of whom five are now living-two sons and three daughters. This lady died November 23, 1881, and subject was next married November 30, 1882, to Miss Georgia McEntyre, a daughter of Henry and Jane (Middleton) McEntyre. She is a native of this county and the mother of one child. Subject is a member of Chosen Council, No. 5, Chosen Friends. Before the war he was identified with the Whig party; since then he has given his support to the Republicans.
DR. J. H. LACKEY was born in Logan County, Ky., May 26, 1838, and is the son of Edward A. W. and Lucy (Cash) Lackey. The father was a native of Bedford County, Va., the mother of Amherst County. Both are still living in Canton. Subject is the oldest of nine children; his education was received in the schools of Logan County. In 1868 he began reading medicine with his uncle, Dr. T. J. Lackey, of Logan County. After three years' study he attended the Louisville Medical College, also the Cincinnati Medical College, graduating from the 1st-ter institution in the class of 1874. He began practicing in Logan County, but came to Canton in 1871. Here he first clerked in Mr. Fuqua's drug store, but afterward turned his attention to the practice of his profession, and he has since been engaged in it. In 1882 he attended another course of lectures at Louisville. He is a member of the County Medical Society. Dr. Lackey was married in 1878 to Miss Mollie Major, a daughter of 0. H. and Mary Jane (Clark) Major. Mrs. Lackey is a native of thi8 county, and is the mother of five living children-three sons and two daughters. Subject is a member of Methodist Episcopal Church South ; also of Canton Lodge, No. 242, A. F. & A. .M., and Chosen Council, Cho8en Friends, No. 5. In politics is a Democrat.
F. M. McATEE was born in Logan County, Ky., December 30, 1833, and is a son of Charles M. and Mary (Brashear) McAtee. The father was a native of Kentucky, the mother of Maryland. The father died in this county in 1860, the mother in 1861. F. M. is the second of seven children. He remained at home until twenty-one, then commenced farming for himself; he has resided on several farms in this and Christian County. In 1881 he came to his present place; he also pays some attention to stock-raising. Mr. McAtee was married, in this county, in 1858, to Miss Margaret Francis, a daughter of James and Ann (Gore) Francis. Eight children have blessed this union, of whom five are now living-four sons and one daughter. Mrs. McAtee is a member of the Christian Church.
C. H. MAJOR, SR., was born in Madison County, Va., on September 17, 1817, and is a son of Charles and Mary (Sims) Major. The parents were of Welsh descent. Subject was next to the youngest of a family of nine children, and of this number only two are now living: James, in Missouri, and C. H. When the latter was nine years old the father came to Kentucky, and settled in Christian County eight miles southeast of Hopkinsville. There he resided until his death in 1857. The mother died in 1820. Subject remained at home until eighteen, and then commenced life as a clerk in Hopkinsville. At the end of five years he began merchandising for himself, and was engaged in this business five years. In 1841 be came to Trigg County and began farming, settling on the Cadiz pike. He owned about 1,000 acres, of which 450 acres were in cultivation. In 1873 he lost one of his limbs by falling on a mowingmachine, and in 1879 he sold his farm and came to Canton. Here he opened a commission house. He buys and rehandles tobacco, and also acts as forwarding agent for freight. Mr. Major was married in 1839 to Miss Nancy J. Wade, a daughter of Hampton and Jane (Simmons) Wade, natives of Halifax County, Va. This lady was born in Virginia, and came to this county in 1818 with her parents. To her husband were born three sons, all of whom are now living. Her death occurred in 1848. In Christian County, in 1849, Mr. Major was married to his second wife, Miss Mary J. Clark, a daughter of Thomas P. and Eleanor (Rawlins) Clark, natives of Maryland and Virginia. Mrs. Major was born in Christian County, and is the mother of eight children-five sons and three daughters. Mr. Major and family are members of the Baptist Church. He is also a member of the Grange fraternity. Previous to the war he was an old-time Whig; since that time he has been identified with the Democratic party.
MAJOR NOEL was born in this precinct on September 27, 1839, and is a son of Thomas and Nancy (Dew) Noel. The parents were natives of Virginia, and came to this county in about 1810. The father is still living; the mother died in 1880. Subject was the eldest of three children. The common schools of this precinct and Russelville College furnished his education. In 1858 he went to Marshall County, and clerked in a grocery store for about twelve months. He then went to Hickman County, and taught school, after which be returned to Trigg County and settled on his present farm. He now owns about 300 acres, 175 acres of which are in cultivation. He also pays some attention to stock-raising. Mr. Noel was married in 1859 to Miss Helen Cunningham, a daughter of James and Sallie (Wimberly) Cunningham, of this county. Mrs. Noel was born in this county, and is the mother of eight children-six sons and two daughters. Mrs. Noel is a member of the Mount Pleasant Baptist Church.
EDMUND ROSS was born in Laura Furnace Precinct February 3,1839, and is a son of Jonathan and Narcissa (Stubblefield) Ross. The parents were natives of Henry County, Tenn., and came to this county in an early day. The mother died in 1862. The father afterward came to this precinct, and resided here until his death in February, 1884. Subject is the third of eight children, of whom four are now living. He assisted on the home farm until the age of twenty-one, and then began farming for himself in Laura Furnace Precinct. He remained in that precinct nine years, and then came to his present farm, where he now owns about 500 acres, with 200 acres in cultivation. In April, 1878, he began merchandising, and continued in business for five years. For the past ten years he has been extensively engaged in buying and rehandling tobacco. In 1877 he put up a saw and grist-mill, which is still in operation. Was married in 1861 to Miss Tempie Feutrell, a daughter of Perry Feutrell. Fifteen children have blessed this union, of whom six are still living, all daughters.
PEYTON THOMAS was born in this precinct April 6, 1820, and is a son of Cullen and Elizabeth (Feutrell) Thomas. The father was born in Bertie County, N. C., in 1790, and came to this county with his father, James Thomas, in 1805. The grandfather settled on the farm now occupied by Peyton Thomas, where he died in September, 1832. The father grew to manhood here, and settled on a farm to the south of his father. He first inherited seventy-five acres, and by his own exertions finally increased it to 1,000 acres; be was Magistrate of the county for a number of years under the old Constitution, and held the office of Sheriff for two years by seniority. His death occurred June 8, 1862, the mother's in 1844. Subject was the second of six children, and is the only one now living; he worked on the home farm until twenty-one and then came to his present farm; he now owns about 400 acres, of which 100 acres are in cultivation. At the age of eighteen he began blacksmithing, and worked at the trade himself for a number of years. Afterward hired hands and had the business carried on. In 1855 he sold goods for one year, and in 1858 he commenced merchandising again, engaging in it until 1862. In April, 1883, he opened his present store, and now carries a stock of about $1,500. In 1865 he began to keep the county poor, and with the exception of seven years he had charge of them up until December, 1883. Mr. Thomas was married December 2, 1841, to Miss Sallie Ethridge, a daughter of David T. Ethridge, of Davidson County, Tenn. Mrs. Thomas was born in the same county, and is the mother of ten children. Of this number nine are now living-four sons and five daughters. Subject and family are members of the Baptist Church, and he has held the office of Church Clerk for many years; he was Magistrate of the county for twelve years. From 1858 to 1860 he was Postmaster at Donelson Postoffice; he is a member of Canton Lodge, No. 242, A. F. .& A. M. Peyton Thomas had one married sister, who gave birth to two children and then died of consumption; his mother died in 1844, and about a year later his father married Drusilla Carter, who bore him two children, who died within four years. James Thomas, brother of our subject, served through the Mexican war. He was subsequently elected Major of the Kentucky State Militia, and then ranked as Colonel of Trigg County. He once ran for the Legislature on the Whig ticket, but was defeated through the machinations of the Sons of Temperance. An incident rather unusual occurred in the deaths of James Thomas (brother of subject) and his father, Cullen Thomas, which occurred respectively at ten minutes past 12 o'clock P. M., June 8, 1881, and June 8, 1882.
WILLIAM F. TURNER was born in Dixon County, Tenn., on September 19, 1819, and is a son of William and Nancy (Hyde) Turner. The father was born in Baltimore, Md., the mother near Nashville, Tenn. In 1833 the parents came to this county, and first settled in Canton Precinct, where they lived thirty years, and then moved to Bethesda Precinct, where the father died in 1864. The mother died in 1865 Subject was the third of five children, of whom three are now living; he cornmenced life for himself when twenty-five years old, and settled in Canton Precinct. At the breaking out of the war he moved to Stewart County, Tenn, and there resided twelve years; he then moved to Linton Precinct, this county, and in the fall of 1883 came to his present farm, where he now owns 162 acres. Mr. Turner was married in 1843 to Miss Elizabeth Carr, a daughter of John Carr. Mrs. Turner was born in this county, arid is the mother of eleven children. Of this number four sons and three daughters are living.
QUINTUS M. TYLER was born in Caroline County, Va., August 6, 1816, and is a son of John D. and Harriet (Redd) Tyler. The parents were natives of Virginia, and were of English descent. In the fall of 1818 they came to Montgomery County, Tenn. There the father taught school most of his life-time, and his reputation as a teacher was very distinguished. He represented Montgomery County in both Houses of the Tennessee Legislature. He died May 20, 1860. The mother died October 18, 1820. Subject was the second of three children, of whom two are living: Mary, widow of Henry H. Bryan, and Quintus. The latter's education was received under the tutorage of his father; he remained at home until twenty years of age and then commenced life as a salesman in a store at Port Royal. In 1839 he went to Dover, Stewart Co., Tenn., where he also clerked. On January 1, 1840, he returned to Montgomery County and assumed control of his father's business. Here he remained until 1846; he then commenced teaching school at the Spring Creek Church and taught three years. In January, 1849, he came to Cadiz, Trigg Co., and taught at this point with the exception of one session until June, 1860. Returning to Montgomery County, he acted as administrator of his father's estate and also taught school. In this county he remained four years and then spent one year in travel. In September, 1866, he went to Garrettsburg, Christian Co., and opening a school there taught until June, 1870. He then taught one session at Glendale, Logan Co. In 1871 he came to Canton, Ky., and entered the mercantile business with John D. Tyler. In this he was engaged five years. In March, 1878, he began teaching again, and has since followed that profession. Mr. Tyler has in his life-time been one of the most successful teachers in the State. He has taught over fifty different terms, and to him have gone about 670 young ladies and young gentlemen. He was married on January 12, 1843, to Miss Emily B. Wailer, a daughter of Richard and Eliza Wailer, natives of Virginia. Mrs. Tyler was born on December 19, 1816, and died on August 26, 1851. Mr. Tyler is an Episcopalian in principle; he is a member of Cadiz Lodge, No. 121, A. F. & A. M., Swigert Chapter, No. 40, Eddyville Council and Paducab Commandery, No. 11, Knights Tempiar; he has been a member of the Masonic fraternity since 1845; has been representative to the Grand Lodge, and has served as Grand Marshal of the State.*- County of Trigg Kentucky , HISTORICAL AND BIOGRAPHICAL - EDITED BY WILLIAM HENRY PERRIN - ILLUSTRATED. - F.A. BATTEY PUBLISHING CO. 1884.
Return to the main page of the History of Trigg County
Return to the Trigg KyGenWeb Home Page COPYRIGHT NOTICE:
In keeping with the Internet philosophy of providing free genealogical information, this data may be freely used for personal research and by non-commercial entities as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages may not be reproduced in any format or presentation by other organizations or persons. Persons or organizations desiring to use this material for profit or any form of presentation, must obtain the written consent of the file submitter, or his legal representative and then contact the listed above with proof of this consent.