(This is an excerpt from the booklet, "History Of Livingston County Welcome Center & Museum Log Cabin" by Mrs Joyce M. Woodyard, the booklet can be purchased at the Log Cabin for $2.00).
In the First week of July 1991, Joyce and Jim Woodyard hired Elvis Powell
to raze an old house next door to their drugstore.
To their amazement they found underneath the lapped siding a log cabin.
The 18x18 front room of the house had at one time been a single room log cabin.
The conclusion, after a search of deeds, was the cabin was built at least by 1834-1836.
The log cabin was not demolished, but a grant was sought for it's restoration and preservation by Joyce Woodyard and Robert (Bob) Warfield, sponsored by the Livingston County Historical & Genealogical Society, from the Kentucky Bicentennial Celebration Commission.
Once the grant was received, a Coordinating Committee was formed to oversee the completion of this project. The committee consisted of Joyce Woodyard, Project Chairman: Bob Warfield, Coordinating Chairman, and members: Delmer Mitchell, Encil Johnson, Kenneth Lyles, Junior Paris, Bubbie Martin, as well as Eddie Henson, Elvis Powell, Harold Carter, John Stanko, Herschel Heater, and Howard Heater. These people, as well as over a hundred others, contributed much in the way of labor, money and services to see that the project was completed by October, 1992.