The Sturgis General Baptist Church was organized Sunday evening, March 6, 1949, by rev.O. B. Clark, assisted by Rev. Charles Polley, Rev. C. W. Duffer, Rev. W. W. Oakley, and Deacon M. B. McDonald.
About two weeks previous to its organization the Home Mission Board of Union Association had employed the Rev. O. B. Clark to conduct a revival at Sturgis and organize a church there, as there were a number of General Baptists in that section whom it was thought would go into an organization of a church.
Fourteen went into the organization, and Rev. Clark preached once a month for a short time, then Rev. Charles Polley was elected pastor and served them for over two years. During his ministry a lot was donated the church and they began construction of a building in August 1949. On November, 1949, the building was near enough completed to they could start holding services in it. It is a beautiful stucco with full basement, and four Sunday School rooms, and is heated with gas.
Rev. William Chambliss was elected pastor in September, 1951, and the church went to full time services.
They have good attendance at Sunday School; a weekly prayer service; a young people's Christian Endeavor, and a Ladies' Aid Society.
The clerks have been Mrs. Sam Straker and Mrs. Jeanette Mackey. Mrs. James Watson is the treasurer, and A. J. McKendree and Elton Heidrick are the deacons. The work is progressing nicely and they have a membership of eighty-one.
by Mrs. J. M. Watson
||This space generously provided by||Automated Link Service Courtesy of|