The First General Baptist Church of Owensboro was organized Sunday, August 18, 1946, at the home of O. F. Mc Euen, by Rev. Rodney Holder of Booneville, Indiana. Two other ministers, Rev. Minvil Clark and Rev. Nealy Pearcy, several deacons from sister churches, and a number of people from Pleasant Hope. Pleasant Hope sponsored the organization. There were eighteen charter members. Rev. Rodney Holder was called to be the first pastor. T. E. Ford was elected treasurer, Wilma Clements, clerk, and O. F. Mc Euen, receiving clerk.
Later a parsonage was purchased and plans started to erect a church. The people were of a mind to work and donations and gifts came in good order. The body worshipped in the Senior High School two Sundays a month until December, 1947, then moved into the new church building located on Elm Street at Maple Avenue. In January, 1948, Bro. Holder was called by the church for full time. He served as pastor until December, 1949. The membership at that time was forty-five.
In April, 1950, Rev. Carmen Albright, then a student at Oakland city College, was called as pastor. In June he was ordained, at this church, into the full work of the ministry, and is still serving as pastor. Since coming to Owensboro, Bro. Albright has graduated from Kentucky Wesleyan College, located here in Owensboro.
J. S. Cook and Everett Rafferty came to the church as deacons and six other men have been ordained as deacons: Robert Howard, Bert W. Robertson, Sam Howard, Lewis Massie, Fred Love, and Woodford Harris. Six men are serving as trustees. The membership now is one hundred and seven. Letters of dismissal have been granted Rev. and Mrs. Holder; three members have passed away. A good percent of this membership tithe, consequently the church is prospering. Spiritually the church has grown equally well. The growth has been steady and sound with each member willing to do his part.
The church takes an active part in all denominational work, and in 1947 was host to the Union Association.
The church has a wide awake and growing Sunday School, Christian Endeavor, prayer meeting. Women's Missionary Society, Guild Girls, Men's Brotherhood, Cub Scout troop, and has a very successful Daily Vacation Bible School each summer. Also, the church is sponsoring and conducting a radio program over WOMI at 7:30 Sunday mornings.
||This space generously provided by||Automated Link Service Courtesy of|