The Madisonville First General Baptist Church was organized on June 22, 1942, on the corner of Seminary and West Arch Streets under a tent. On Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock at Madisonville, Ky., the church was organized by Rev. W. W. Oakley of Poole, Ky., with eleven charter members.
The Rev. W. W. Oakley was the church's first pastor and served until his death in 1949. In September of 1940 the Rev. O. L. Duncan was elected pastor of our church. Then in March of 1952, our present pastor, Rev. Robert Fulcher, was elected.
The church's first clerk was Mrs. Dona Scroggins, who served five years. She resigned on July 12, 1947. Mrs. Bonnie Ashby was elected clerk. She served four years. The present clerk is Julietta Hinkle-Luz.
The ministers who have been members of our church are:
- Rev. L. O. Nichols
- Rev. Thomas Wilson
- Rev. Home Oakley
- Rev. Robert Fulcher
All, with the exception of Rev. Wilson and Rev. Nichols, are present members of our church.
We haven't had the Association as yet. We have had the Ministers and Deacons Meeting, one Sunday School Convention (June 1950).
Our Sunday School was organized on June 23, 1942.
The Ladies Aid Society was organized on October 1, 1943, with ten members.
The Deacons of our church are: Homer Day (April 1944) Miller Burton (April 1944) Roy Duncan (September 1943) Archie Hinkle (March 1946) Hampton Key (December 1946) Edward Ashby.
||This space generously provided by||Automated Link Service Courtesy of|