Histories of The General Baptist Churches -
of the
Union Association 1953

The Earlington General Baptist Church was organized in 1894 by Rev. J. M. Burden, and joined Union Association the same year.

The records from 1894 to 1905 have been lost. Starting with 1905 the following ministers have pastored the church:

Church clerks have been:

The church erected a new building in 1922, and in 1952 a full size basement was constructed, making room for five Sunday School rooms.

The church went to full time services during the ministry of the Rev. O. B. Clark. They purchased a parsonage during the ministry of Rev. O. B. Clark.

They have entertained Union Association four times. First in 1901 with Rev. J. F. Bumpus, moderator; Rev. D. L. Fraser, clerk. In 1913 with Rev. Claude Neal, moderator; W. D. Edens, clerk. In 1925 with Rev. W. W. Oakley, moderator; Rev. L. A. Stone, clerk. In 1952 with Rev. Carl Smith, moderator, and M. B. McDonald, clerk.

Earlington church has had many trying times, struggling under the indebtedness of a new building during the depression years, but through the tireless efforts of Rev. W. W. Oakley, who was its pastor through these years, the church debt was paid off and the church dedicated in 1944.

* - Source - History of Union Association of General Baptist 1840 - 1953
M.D. Mc Donald

Return to: Memorial Biographies of General Baptist Ministers of Union Association

Stop By and Visit:

Webster County ALHN Home Page


Graphics by
Cresswell Graphics
This space generously provided by logo Automated Link Service Courtesy of

Betty Sellers/Mt. Vernon, In.