Submitted By Brenda Underdown
To Email Brenda
Crittenden Co., Kentucky War Time Marriage Records
Transcribed and submitted by Brenda Underdown
(Brenda will add records as she can so check back often)
War Time Marriages
plus other marriages of local people out of state.
Abstracted from The Crittenden Press
Feb. 13, 1942 – Schrender-Guess
On Saturday evening, January 31, Miss Catherine Schrender, daughter of
Mr. and Mrs. Joe Schrender of Battle Creek, Mich., became the bride of James C. Guess,
son of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Guess of Marion.
The marriage took place before an altar of ferns and palms at the home of the bride's parents,
with the Rev. B. VanSomeren, pastor of the Second Christian Reform church, officiating.
The bride was attired in a pink taffeta gown.
Corp. Guess is stationed at Ft. Custer.
The couple will reside in Battle Creek, Mich.
May 15, 1942 – Sherrill-Brown
The marriage of Miss Mildred Sherrill to William Allen Brown, which took place in Detroit, Mich. April 5, 1942,
has been announced. Rev. Gaylord read the rites using the single ring ceremony.
Mrs. Brown, daughter of Mrs. Clarence James of this city, graduated from Marion High School, Class of '39.
Mr. Brown, son of Mrs. Ira Brown of Caldwell County is a graduate of Butler High School Princeton.
Mr. and Mrs. Brown will make their home in Detroit.
May 22, 1942 – Hopkins-Brantley
Miss Velda J. Hopkins, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Hopkins, and Kenneth Brantley,
son of Mr. and Mrs. Link Brantley, were married May 16th at Charleston, Mo., with Rev. Charlie Gale,
pastor of the Charleston Baptist Church officiating.
Miss Lula Hopkins, sister of the bride, was maid of honor and Ravin Towery acted as best man.
The bride wore a frock of powder blue romaine crepe with beige accessories, and the maid of honor
wore a frock of rose romaine crepe with beige accessories.
Mrs. Brantley is a graduate of Shady Grove High School and for the past several months
has been taking training at the NYA center.
Mr. Brantley attended Mattoon High School.
The young couple will make their home for the present with the grooms parents.
June 12, 1942 – Stewart-Allen
Mrs. Caroline Stewart of Tolu has announced the marriage of her daughter, Miss Edna May Stewart to Corporal James R. Allen of Dawson Springs.
The wedding took place in the chapel of the USO Building Camp Shelby, Miss. With Rev. Wm. E. Fox, reading the rites, using the single ring ceremony.
The bride wore a blue suit with white accessories and her corsage was of pink rose buds and baby's breath tied with white ribbon.
Mr. and Mrs. Allen were students of Western Teacher's College Bowling Green Business University.
Mr. Allen enlisted in the Army in April 1941 but was discharged in Nov. He was recalled in Jan. 1942 and is now
stationed at Camp Shelby. Mr. and Mrs. Allen will make their home for the present at 412 Bay St. Hattisburg, Miss.
June 26, 1942 – Sullenger-Binkley
Mr. and Mrs. H. H. Sullenger of near Tolu announce the marriage of their daughter Elizabeth to Corporal Jesse Binkley of Camp Shelby, Mississippi.
The wedding was solemnized in Charlestown, Mo., June 2nd with the Rev. Charles H. Gale officiating.
The only attendants were Mrs. And Mrs. Gene Boone of Ashland, Ky.
Mrs. Binkley is a graduate of Tolu High School, a junior of Murray Sate College, and teacher of this county.
Mr. Binkley has attended school in Louisville and has been employed in Gary, Indiana, until his enlistment in the U. S. Army.
The former will continue teaching in this county and the latter has resumed his duty in Camp Shelby.
June 26, 1942 – Wilkey-Brown
The wedding of Miss Faye Wilkey and Mr. Stewart Gregory Brown which took place in Evansville last week has been announced.
Mrs. Brown is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Malcom Wilkey, formerly of this city.
Before her marriage Mrs. Malcom Wilkey was Miss Elizabeth Gilbert.
June 26, 1942 – Griffin-Elder
Miss June Griffin and Arnold Elder were married Saturday, June 20th, at Charleston, Mo., with Rev. Charles H. Gale reading the ceremony.
Mrs. Elder, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Griffin, is a graduate of Tolu High School.
Mr. Elder, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Elder, is a graduate of Marion High School and is a member of the firm J. A. Elder & Sons, contractors.
Mr. and Mrs. Elder are living at the Crittenden Hotel.
July 10, 1942 – Love-Hunt
On Sunday afternoon, July 5th, Miss Louise Love became the bride of Lieut. Wilbur K. Hunt in the parsonage of the Cabanne Methodist Church in St. Louis.
Rev. George A. Shadwick, pastor, read the rites using the double ring ceremony.
Mrs. Hunt wore a powder blue ensemble with Navy accessories and a shoulder bouquet of white orchids.
Mrs. Hunt, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. N. Love, is a graduate of Marion High School and has been a valued employee of Taylor and Co. for the past several years.
Lieut. Hunt, son of Mr. and Mrs. Alex Hunt, is a graduate of Marion High School. He was cited for bravery during the attack at Peal Harbor.
He has recently completed a course at an officers training school and was commissioned second lieutenant last Friday.
After spending a few days at home, Lieut. and Mrs. Hunt will leave Sunday for Fort Mason, San Francisco, Calif., where Lt. Hunt has been assigned to headquarters company.
July 10, 1942 – Barnes-Johnson
Mrs. Etta Barnes has announced the marriage of her granddaughter, Miss Jean Harris, to Harold D. Johnson of Camp Shelby.
The wedding took place at Sikeston, Mo, on June 20h with Rev. Elbert D. Owen officiating. The attendants were Mr. and Mrs. Frieda Tinsley.
Mrs. Johnson will continue to live with her grandmother.
July 17, 1942 – Ellington-Settles
At the home of Rev. T. M. Moore, Walters, Okla., Miss Thelma Lucille Ellington and Homer Ray Settles were married last week.
Mrs. Settles is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur E. Ellington, Witchita Falls, Texas.
Mr. Settles is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Homer L. Settlers of Marion and is stationed at Sheppard Field, Texas, where he is an instructor in the Engine Operation branch of the Army Air Force technical school.
Mr. and Mrs. Settles will make their home in Wichita Falls.
July 31, 1942 – Qualls-Belt
The marriage of Maurice W. Belt and Miss Udine Qualls took place at Cooksville, Tenn. Saturday, July 25th. The bride is a daughter of Dr. and Mrs. Qualls of Livingston, Tenn., and has been teaching in the schools of Tennessee for some time.
The groom, son of the late Mr. and Mrs. George T. Belt is a graduate of Marion High School and attended the University of Kentucky. Mr. Belt has been employed as a government surveyor for the past few years.
Mr. and Mrs. Belt will make their home in Somerset, Ky.
September 25, 1942 – Hillyard-Rushing
The marriage of Miss Mae Hillyard and Woodson Rushing which took place at Charleston, Mo., June 14, 1942, has been announced.
The bride is a daughter of J. J. Hillyard of this city and is a graduate of Marion High School.
The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. T. H. Rushing and is a graduate of Marion High School.
Mr. and Mrs. Rushing will make their home in Chicago where he is employed.
October 2, 1942 – Arflack-Clark
The wedding of Miss Dorothy Arflack and Dennis E. Clark took place in Bowling Green Wednesday, Sept. 23th, the Rev. E. C. Comfort reading the single ring ceremony.
The bride wore a salute blue crepe dress with black accessories and a shoulder corsage of pink rosebuds.
Mrs. Clark is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James T. Arflack and is a graduate of Marion High School. She is employed as secretary to Dr. L.A. Crosby.
Mr. Clark is the only son of Mrs. Ona A. Clark and joined the Navy soon after his graduation from Marion High School. He has been stationed at Panama for the past 22 months.
January 15, 1943 – Williams-Walker
The marriage of Miss Mary Louise Williams, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Nace Williams and Glenn Walker, son of Mr. and Mrs. B. F. Walker, which took place at Columbus,
Georgia on August 20th, 1942 has been announced.
Mrs. Walker has been teaching the third grade in the city schools for the past few years and Mr. Walker is on active duty with the US Army Air Force.
February 19, 1942 – Brantley-Cain
Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Brantley announce the marriage of their daughter, Adaline Brantley to Robert Cain. The wedding took place at Cape Girordeau, Mo., Dec. 25, 1942, with the Rev. E. D. Winstead reading the single ring ceremony.
Mrs. Cain is the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Brantley and Mr. Cain is the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. E. G. Cain of Manitou, Ky.
April 2, 1943, Thomas – Hillyard
Miss Juanita Thomas daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charley Thomas, and Pvt. Herschel F. Hillyard, son of Mr. and Mrs. Walter Hillyard were married Sunday, March 28th, at the home of Rev. and Mrs. Wallace Rutherford, with Rev. Rutherford officiating.
Miss Ada Mae Roberts was the bridesmaid and Clifton Hillyard, brother of the groom acted as best man.
The bride was attired in a frock of Navy blue crepe, with Navy accessories and wore a corsage of white gardenias. The bridesmaid wore blue with Navy accessories.
Mrs. Hillyard is a graduate of the Shady Grove High School, class of 1943, and Pvt. Hillyard graduated from Marion High School in 1941. He was employed by the Griffin & Goss Construction Co. at the time of his induction on July 31, 1942.
He is now stationed at Camp Carson, Colo., in the 50th General Hospital Unit.
After a short honeymoon, Pvt. and Mrs. Hillyard will make their home at Colorado Springs.
April 2, 1943 - Stout-Tucker
Before an altar banked with greenery and American flags, Miss Ethel Stout because the bride of Thomas Nunn Tucker on Saturday morning, March 27th, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Robert N. Frazer, with Rev. Noland reading the single ring ceremony which was followed by a reception.
Mrs. Howard Stout, sister-in-law of the bride, was matron of honor, and Samuel Gugenheim acted as best man.
The bride wore a Navy blue sheer with harmonizing accessories and a corsage of white orchids. The matron of honor wore a frock of dusty rose with brown accessories and a corsage of sweetheart roses. Mrs. Tucker, mother of the groom, and Mrs. Stout, mother of the bride, wore black with corsages of white gardenias.
Mrs. Tucker, daughter of Mrs. Mary E. Stout, is a graduate of Marion High School and attended Bethel College, McKenzie, Tenn. She has been connected with the firm of H. V. Stone & Co. for the past several years.
Mr. Tucker, only son of Mr. and Mrs. W. O. Tucker, is a graduate of Marion High School and attended the Cincinnati School of Embalming, and was employed by Tucker & Franklin before entering the Navy. He is now stationed at Great Lakes, Illinois.
After a short wedding trip, Mr. and Mrs. Tucker will return to Marion for a few days before Mr. Tucker returns to Great Lakes. Mrs. Tucker will remain in Marion.
April 9, 1943 – Jones-Campbell
Mrs. Lottie Jones has announced the marriage of her daughter, Miss Louise Jones to Pfc. William L. Campbell, which took place at Savannah, Ga., on the 24th day of March, 1943.
Pfc. And Mrs. Campbell are both graduates of Frances High School. He is a son of Mr. and Mrs. D. R. Campbell of Mexico.
The young couple will make their home for the present at Savannah, where he is stationed at the Savannah Army Air Base.
April 30, 1943 – Woodall-Terry
Miss Lavine Woodall and Sgt. Leon Terry were united in marriage on April 24th at Alexandriz, La., in an impressive single ring ceremony. The only attendants being Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. Terry.
The bride wore an attractive ensemble of heavenly blue with Navy accessories and corsage of gardenias. Mrs. Terry, attractive daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Pressly M. Woodall, is a graduate of Fredonia High School, class of 1942.
She taught at Piney Fork and for the past three months has been employed by Servels Corp., Evansville.
Sgt. Terry, son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Terry hand has been in the army of the U. S. For the past two years and is now stationed at Camp Livingston, La.
Mrs. Terry will spend the week in Louisiana and then return to Evansville to resume her duties at Servels.
May 21, 1943 – Hunt-Ramsey
Mr. and Mrs. Harvey Hunt, Pleasant Hill section of the county, announce the marriage of their daughter Miss Dell Hunt to W. E. Ramsey.
The ceremony was preformed in Detroit, Michigan, Monday evening.
For the past several years Mrs. Ramsey has been employed in Detroit and Dearborn Michigan.
Following a brief tour the couple will be at home in Dearborn, Michigan, where Mr. Ramsey is employed as electrical director of Cadillac Division of General Motors Corp.
May 28, 1943 - Williamson-Patmor
Mr. and Mrs. T. W. Williamson announced the marriage of their daughter, Miss Imogene Williamson to Lieut. Raymond W. Patmor which took place May 2nd. With Dr. H. H. Jones officiating.
Lieut. Patmor is the son of Mr. and Ms. Crawford Patmor and is stationed at Transfer, Pa.
Both attended Marion High School with Lieut. Patmor graduating with the class of '39.
Mrs. Virgil Ryan, and Leon Patmor were attendants.
June 1943 - Marlin-Wyatt
The marriage of Miss Maudie Eva Marlin of Little Rock, Ark. And Willie A. Wyatt, son of Mr. and Mrs. Will Wyatt of this city has been announced.
The wedding took place at Little Rock on June 29, 1943. The young couple will make their home for the present at Alexandria, La., where the groom is stationed with the U. S. Army.
Sept. 17, 1943, Woody-Andrews
Miss Maurie Woody and Seaman W. C. Andrews were married Saturday, September 11, at noon, in the Trinity Methodist Church, Evansville, the church in which the bride's parents were married
with the Rev. F. G. Hamilton officiating, reading the single ring ceremony.
Miss Dorothy Woody, cousin of the bride, was maid of honor and Jack Isert acted as best man.
Mrs. Andrews wore a frock of aqua blue, shoulder bouquet of white gardenias and brown accessories, and Miss Woody wore a blue frock with shoulder bouquet of white gardenias and brown accessories.
The bride is the elder daughter of Mr. and Mr. H. E. Woody of this city and has been employed at Servel's in Evansville for the past few months.
The groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ozias Andrews of this city and is a Seaman Third Class in the U.S. Navy and has been on duty in the Pacific for the past few months.
After a short honeymoon in Nashville, Tenn., Mr. and Mrs. Andrews have arrived to spend a few days with their parents before returning to duty. Seaman Andrews will report September 25 at Seattle, Washington.
Sept. 17, 1943 - Collins-Brantley
Miss Margaret Collins, daughter of Ben Collins, Morganfield, Ky., and Cpl. Herschel Brantley, son of Mr. and Mrs. Ray Brantley of Repton, Ky., were married Sunday, August 22.
The wedding took place at Grant Chapel, Fort Custer, Michigan, using the double ring ceremony.
The attendants were Miss Martha French, cousin of the bride, and Cpl. Robert Beason, friend of the groom.
The bride's dress was light blue velvet, suit effect. Her hat was of the same shade of blue, and she wore black accessories. Her corsage was American Beauty Roses.
The maid of honor wore a rose wool jersey dress and black accessories. Her corsage was of white carnations. After the ceremony a reception was given in their honor by the Masonic Service Center, Battle Creek, Michigan.
October 15, 1943 – Brown-Hicks
Mrs. Pearl Brown announces the marriage of her daughter, Erma Rhea Brown, to William L. Hicks, Jr. Rev. Bandshaw read the ceremony Saturday, August 28th, at First Christian Church, Covington, Ky.
Mrs. Hicks is a graduate of Frances High School and has been employed by the Crosley Radio Corporation, Cincinnati, Ohio.
Mr. Hicks is employed at the Ohio Scroll Works, Cincinnati. The couple will make their home in Covington.
October 15, 1943 – Adams-Rorer
Announcement is made of the marriage of Miss Mary Dee Adams and Robert Rorer. The ceremony was performed in Charleston, Mo., Friday, Oct. 1st.
October 29, 1943 – Clark-Kemper
The marriage of Miss Maebelle Clark and James S. Kemper, Chief Machinist Mate, U. S. Navy, took place at Union Church, Sunday morning, October 24.
Miss Helen Moore and Ray Hopkins were the only attendants.
The bride, younger daughter of Herman Clark, is a graduate of Marion High School and has been employed in the AAA office of Crittenden County for the past few years.
The groom is the elder son of Mr. and Mrs. R. H. Kemper and is a graduate of Marion High School. He enlisted in the Navy soon after graduation.
Mr. and Mrs. Kemper left immediately after the ceremony for San Francisco.
March 31, 1944 - Thompson-Rider
The marriage of Miss Hazel Thompson and Harold G. Rider has been announced. Rev. J. C. Lilly officiated reading the single ring ceremony.
The bride is a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C. G. Thompson and is a graduate of Marion High School. She has been employed in the drafting department of Link Drafting Corporation,
Chicago, where she has worked for the past two years.
The groom is Radar Technician attached to the Canadian Air Force, London, Ontario.
After a honeymoon trip to Niagara Falls, the young couple will return to respective duties.
August 18, 1944 – Olive-McNeely
The marriage of Miss Elizabeth Ann Olive, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Guy W. Olive, to Lt. Barney C. McNeely,
son of Mr. and Mrs. S. B. McNeely, was solemnized Aug. 11th, with the double ring ceremony by the Rev. T. C. Bright in Paducah, Ky.
The bride wore a powder blue gown of sheer crepe with black accessories. Her corsage was white gardenias.
After a short wedding trip and visit with parents of both the bride and groom, Lieutenant and Mrs. McNeely will return to Camp Shelby, Miss.,
where Lieutenant McNeely is stationed. Lieut. McNeely is attached to the 69th Infantry Division.
Mrs. McNeely is a graduate of Marion High School and has been connected with Bourland Insurance Agency for the past four years.
Lieutenant McNeely is also a graduate of Marion High School and has been in the armed services for the past four years.