Photo Submitted by Bill Belt
To email Bill
Marion, Crittenden Co., Ky.
History of Fohs Hall
By: Brenda Travis Underdown
To email Brenda
Fohs Hall is located on North Walker Street almost in the center of Marion.
Fohs Hall was built by Julius Fohs and given as a gift of love to Marion and the Board of Education.
The building was dedicated on October 23, 1926.
The Fohs family lived in Marion in the early 1900's, and son Julius, attended his school years in Marion.
The structure was built on the lot where the Fohs family once lived.
After Julius Fohs had achieved success as an internationally known geologist, he paid for the entire construction
of the building. He built the building to be used as a community center in conjunction with Marion High School,
which was located just across the street.
Fohs Hall is a two-story building with four columns of lonic design flanking the main entrance.
On the first floor, the building has a large central hall with large rooms on each side and an auditorium at the hall's end.
The second floor contains two additional rooms, the balcony and a projection room for the auditorium.
The building was used as a High School, and in later years as the Marion Elementary School.
It was used as a school facility until 1981, when a new county wide Elementary School was built.
Today the Fohs Hall building is maintained by the Fohs Hall Community Arts Foundation and it is used as a community
center for plays, music concerts, and other community and civic activities.
This building was selected as "A Kentucky Landmark" and was accepted on the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.
To contact Peggy Gilkey
Back to Crittenden Co., KyGenWeb