This Crittenden County Church material provided by Brenda J. Jerome, firstname.lastname@example.org
Early Crittenden Co, KY Churches
(established prior to 1900)
BELLS MINES CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
There has been a C.P. church in this area in northern Crittenden Co, near the
Union Co line, since the early 1800's. In 1849 Jeremiah Wilson deeded one acre
to be used for "a baring ground and church for all demoninations." In 1865 the
foundation was laid, but the church was not completed until 1885 and was
dedicated 1891. Services are still conducted 1-2 times per month. Cemetery adjoining has
tombstones dated prior to the Civil War.
CALDWELL SPRINGS BAPTIST CHURCH
Organized in 1844 by members of New Bethel Baptist Church (Lyon Co, KY). The
current building is the 4th to house the church. Services are conducted
CAVE SPRINGS GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH
The first church in this community was built in the early part of the 18th
century. Located about 11 miles east of Marion. This is a very active
church. No cemetery adjoining.
CHAPEL HILL PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Organized as part of Bethany Church in 1803 (see Crooked Creek and First United
Presbyterian). The old church building was torn down in the spring of 1996.
Cemetery adjoining the church site is still maintained.
Began in Marion in 1874. Its founder was a Bro. Dimmitt. Disbanded in the 1920's
but reorganized in 1944.
CRAYNE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Organized 1893 at Crayneville (now Crayne), KY and is an offspring of Piney
Fork C.P. Church. This church continues to conduct services.
CRAYNE UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
According to the session books of Piney Fork Church, Crayne Church was
organized as a C.P. church in 1892 by members of Piney Fork Church. First records being
CROOKED CREEK MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
Located about 2 miles north of Marion at a spot where "the old log church," or
Bethany was first organized by the Presbyterians. In 1835, the site was sold to
the Baptists. Very active church. The present building was dedicated in the
early 1870's. Adjoining cemetery has many old, beautiful tombstones. A number
of tombstones are in the woods and not visible from the driveway.
DEER CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH
The first building was erected in 1823. The present building was built in 1882.
The old church minutes are still in existence. This church is still active.
Cemetery adjoining has many old tombstones.
DUNN SPRINGS BAPTIST CHURCH
No early records. Believed to have been organized in the home of John S.
Fowler in 1844. Present building erected in 1885. Small membership.
DYCUSBURG UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Organized in 1857. The church was built on lot #7 at the corner of Commerce and
Spring Sts. in Dycusburg. The present building was dedicated in 1948.
EMMAUS BAPTIST CHURCH
First building was on Claylick Creek in 1895.
ENON GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH
Located in northern Crittenden Co. Organized 1847 by Jacob Holeman, Caswell
Mason & Ludwell Brackett. Services still conducted today.
FREEDOM GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH
Organized 1853. Land for the church building was deeded to the trustees by
Alfred Moore. The present building is the 4th one. Cemetery adjoining the church.
FIRST UNITED PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
This church grew out of brush arbor services held in 1803 at Dickey Springs, 3
miles east of Marion by Presbyterian minister, William Dickey. In 1805 he built
Bethany Church (the Old Log Church; see Crooked Creek). In 1842 when the town of
Marion was laid off, a tract of land was granted to the church. The church then
located at the corner of Gum and Moore.
GREENS CHAPEL CHURCH
Disbanded some years ago. Located in Bells Mines Community. Cemetery adjoins
former site of the church and is still used and maintained.
HURRICANE METHODIST CHURCH
Land for the church was obtained from early Crittenden Co settler,
Richard Minner about 1843. The current building was constructed in 1920.
Camp meetings have been held in an outdoor tabernacle at this location since
1889. Beautiful old, but well maintained, cemetery adjoins the church.
MARION UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Organized as a Methodist Episcopal Church, South in 1869. The current building
was erected in 1911-1912. Very active church today.
MT. PLEASANT CHURCH (black)
Formerly located in the Bells Mines community by freed slaves after the Civil
War. Disbanded, but a cemetery is located high on a bluff near the approximate
area of the church.
Mt. ZION CHURCH
Disbanded some years ago. A Masonic Hall was located above the church. The
church steps are still visible. Early members were the Bristow, Lucas, Heath
and other families. Cemetery still maintained and used.
NEW UNION GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH (DITNEY)
No early records available. The first building is said to have been a log
building near or at the site of Old Ditney School. Cemetery adjoining church.
PINEY FORK CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
JOHN TRAVIS and others of the Bethany congregation organized Piney Fork
Church - the first Cumberland church in Kentucky. Rev. Finis Ewing completed the organization
in early 1812 and was the first pastor. Many people of this area named children
Finis E. after this early minister. Camp meetings were held from 1812 until
1916. Beautiful location with cemetery adjoining. Tradition has it that the last
Indian battle in this area was fought at the location of the cemetery.
PLEASANT GROVE GENERAL BAPTIST CHURCH
Located about 5 miles north of Salem, Livingston Co, KY, but in Crittenden Co.
Exact date of first building unknown. This is the "home church" of the Croft
family and their names are found on many of the tombstones in the adjoining
PLEASANT HILL REGULAR BAPTIST CHURCH
Located about 2 miles east of Marion and organized in 1853, mainly by settlers
from Smith Co, TN. The first pastor was Paul L.H. Walker, who served for 33
REPTON BAPTIST CHURCH
Organized in 1888. First deacons were J.C. Brown & J.M. McChesney with W.R.
Gibbs as the first pastor. Services still conducted.
ROSEBUD UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Located on land donated by Ira Nunn, about 10 mi. north of Marion; year unknown.
Present building erected in 1956. Cemetery adjoinings church.
SEVEN SPRINGS BAPTIST CHURCH
Located southern part of Crittenden Co. Date of organization unknown, but well
SHADY GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH
Organized 1844 as Clear Spring U.B. Church. In 1921 the church changed its name
to Shady Grove Baptist. The present building constructed in 1922. Cemetery
SILOAM UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
In 1843 William Hickman deeded land to the trustees of a newly organized church,
Siloam. A log church was used at this location until 1879. The church records
begin in 1886.
SUGAR GROVE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Organized 1840 by Rev. William C. Love. A log cabin was built on Phillips
Branch of Piney Creek in a grove of large sugar maples near a spring. Camp
meetings were held here. A new church was built in 1884 about 3/4 mi. N.W.
of the old church. Current building erected 1954.
SULPHUR SPRINGS BAPTIST CHURCH
Formerly known as Cookseyville Church. Organized 1851. Membero of Little River
Association until 1883, when the Ohio River Association was formed.
Organized ca 1880 on two acres of land located on Sandy Creek and Clay Lick
Creek donated by Thomas R. and Martha E. TYNER to the trustees of the Methodist
Episcopal Church South:Thomas R. TYNER; Richard SHERRIL; C.R. STEVENS; F.M.
BINKLEY; William TYNER, James (Wesley) GRIMES.
UNION BAPTIST CHURCH
Organized 1810 as an offsprig of Old Salem Baptist Church. Church records begin
1835. Current building erected 1965. Wonderful, old tombstones grace the
Brenda Joyce Jerome
Western Kentucky Journal