Historical and Biographical
HOPKINSVILLE-TIME CHURCHES-METHODISM AND ITS INTRODUCTION INTO TFIE COI...NTY-FIRST METHODIST ORGANIZATION IN HOPKINSVILLETHE BAPTISTS-FORMATION OF .1 BAPTIST CHURCH-ITS PRESENT STRENGTH AND GLORY-THE PRESBYTERIANS-NORTHERN AND SOUTl1ERN DIVISIONS-THEIR CHURCHES, SOCIETIES AND BUILDINGS-CHRISTIAN CHURCH-ITS ORGANIZATION, GROWTH AND PROSPERITY-THE CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIANS-EPISCOPALIANS-THEIR NEW CHURCH BUILDING-THE CATHOLIC CHURCH-COLORED CHURCHES-THEIR ORGANIZATION, ETC.-CEMETERIES AND THEIR SILENT INHABITANTS, ETC.
THE religious advantages of Hopkinsville during the early period of its history were few. Devotional meetings were held as often as circumstances would admit, which for a number of years were in the people's houses or in the court house. No regular congregation was formed until the increase of numbers rendered church organization necessary. A sketch of the different churches of the city follows here, but with no attempt at chronological order.
The Methodist Church.-The appended sketch of the Methodist Church was written for this work by Judge Joe McCarroll. Of course it will be understood without explanation that the churches here, after the separation in 1544, adhered to the Southern division of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In his sketch Judge McCarroll gives a synopsis of the introduction of `Methodism into the county as a prelude to the history of the church in Hopkinsville, which will be found of considerable interest to the reader. It is as follows:
In 1776, soon after the Declaration of American Independence, that vast region and wilderness embracing the western frontier of Virginia was by an act of the Virginia Legislature formed into a Separate county called Kentucky, even the western end of which, where Christian County now is, began in a few years to be Settled by whites. Ten years later (1756), within two years from the formal organization of the Methodist Church in America, Bishop Asbury appointed James Haw and Benjamin Ogden, vigorous young soldiers of the Cross, and fresh from the Revolutionary war, to travel and preach in Kentucky.
The following year the Western work was divided into two circuits: Kentucky and Cumberland, the latter of which embraced that part of southern Kentucky which lies between Green and Cumberland Rivers, and also what is now called middle Tennessee. To the Cumberland Circuit Benjamin Ogden was returned. As this was but two years after the settlement of Christian County by John Montgomery and James Davis (according to Collins. but five years according to more reliable sources), and as Cumberland Circuit was an immense wilderness, it is hardly probable that Methodism had much foothold at that time in this county ; but, on the other hand, it was under the supervision of a vigorous young pioneer, and it is but fair to presume that the settlements of this county claimed and received his attention, as did other parts of the wilderness. The history of Methodism in Christian County then dates from the appointment of Benjamin Ogden to the Cumberland Circuit in 1787-88. Since then it has maintained a firm and steadily increasing hold on the people until it is one of the strongest and most useful church organizations in the county, with an actual active membership of 1,500, church property valued at $30,000, and an annual expenditure for the cause of Christ of from $3,500 to $4,000. But, although the settlement in the county of a number of '.Methodist families from 'Maryland and Virginia secured the presence and attention of the traveling ministers, and doubtless the temporary formation of classes or societies, as they are called, and in that way unquestionably gave to the church here a historical existence dating from the appointment of Benjamin Ogden to the Cumberland Circuit in 1787-88yet it is not at all certain that the church had any permanent foothold in the county prior to the great revivals held in Logan County (of which this was then a part) in 1794 by Rev. Jacob Lurton. Indeed, Dr. Bedford says, in his Methodism in Kentucky, that Jacob Lurton "was the first to proclaim the story of the Cross " to that people. A wonderful revival had started as far south as Nashville, Tenn., and gradually swept through all this country until it reached the neighborhood of Peter Cartwright's father, near Russellville, in 1794. It was in his house that Jacob Lurton and Moses Speer held a powerful meeting during that year. Prior to the year 1800, Benjamin Ogden, James Haw, the great and noble Francis Poythress, Peter Massie, Barnabas McHenry (the grandfather of Hon. H. D. and Col. John H. -McHenry, of Owensboro and Hartford), John Page, William Burke, Wilson Lee, Jacob Lurton, Moses Speer and Aquilla Sugg were the noble band of brothers who struggled and battled through the wilderness, and barrens, and hills, and settlements from Nashville, Tenn., to Russellville and Bowling Green, Ky., and thence to Evansville, Ind., presenting with remarkable ability and enthusiasm the doctrines of the Bible as understood and expounded by the Methodists. While it cannot be stated with precision which of these men preached in this county at any given time, the records are pretty authentic that they were preaching to all the various settlements of Logan, Christian and other counties in the Cumberland district till 1796, when Logan, Christian, etc., were formed into the Logan Circuit. The peculiar methods of the church at that early day were such that it is not possible now to tell exactly what it did accomplish. We only know that here, as everywhere else, its preachers and laymen went from house to house and from neighborhood to neighborhood holding meetings, until their influence was felt and impressed upon the people long, long before they ever had any church in the county. Indeed, we ascertain from some of the more modern records of the church that there must have been at least one hundred houses (residences) in the county where preaching was had before any attention was given to the erection of churches ; and the church had really begun to grow strong before any organization was had. The following is a list of the most prominent preaching places since 1800 : Old Concord, Harrison's Camp Ground, Mann's, E. Harrison's, Bond's, Nichols', Ben Harrison's, Pyle's, Johnson's Schoolhouse, Sink's, R. Harrison's (Pond River), R. Harrison's (Sinking Fork), Elliott's, John Gray's, Trade Water, Hall's (old). Robert Harris', J. and T. Dunnavan's. J. Hopson's, Grove's Schoolhouse. McClellan's, West Fork fleeting House, Long's. Cave Spring, Sand Lick, Bradley's, Turner's, Russell's, Pitzer's, Brown's, Powell's Schoolhouse. also called " Catfight," Lackey's, Hazlegreen. Bird's Creek, Mckendree Chapel, Salubria Spring, Old and New Providence, Garrettsburg, Hopkinsville, The Bridge, Puckett's Schoolhouse, Coon's, Brown's Chapel, Pleasant Green, Sheridan's Schoolhouse, Berry's Chapel, Pisgah, Hebron, Oak Grove, Olivet, Sively's Camp Ground, Center Camp Ground, Robbins', Fairview, Vaughn's Chapel, Shiloh, LaFayette, Crofton, Bethlehem, New Concord, Alt. Carmel, Grissam's Chapel and Hall's Chapel, besides many of smaller importance and some whose locality we were unable to ascertain, though persuaded they were in this county. These various places of worship have been from time to time consolidated in different neighborhoods, and church edifices erected for the common good of all, until they now number about twenty-five.
Originally the "'Meeting Houses," as they were called, were very rude. Rev. Father Thomas Bottomley relates that even as late as 1848, when in charge of the Hopkinsville Circuit, he went to Long's Meeting House, on the Princeton road, to preach. He found a dirty log-house with no floor but the ground, no window except a missing log back of the Cc pulpit," split logs with splinters in them for seats, and a door so low at the top and so high at the bottom that it was difficult to crawl in through it all. " Brethren," said Father Bottomley to a few old Christians who had assembled to hear him on his second " round :" "I am not coming here any more!" " Why?" asked old man Long. "Because," said he, " those of you who are good enough to come to this dingy hole to hear me preach will get to heaven anyhow ; and as for the sinners, the place is so dirty and uninviting they'll never come, and therefore I am not coming here any more !" And he never did preach there again. A better place was soon after built, perhaps Sheridan's. From 1800 to 1811, when the Christian Circuit was formed, the following ministers preached to the various settlements of the county: William Kenyon, Learner Blackman, Thomas Wilkerson, Jesse Walker, Miles Harper, William Houston, David Young, Benj. Edge, Thomas Lasley, Samuel H. Thompson, Thomas Kirkman and Peter Cartwright. From that time to 1820 Christian Circuit included all the Methodist preaching places of Christian County ; and the study of the records reveals many curious and interesting phases of early Methodist life in Christian County. The revivals, the arbor meetings, the camp meetings, the wonderful preaching and its remarkable effects, the wild oratory, the religious enthusiasm of those early times-all these form the teat for more study and more history than we can afford in this place. In the year 1820 the Tennessee Annual Conference held its meeting in Hopkinsville and cut it off from the circuit.
As the history of the church in Hopkinsville and magisterial districts necessarily gives the history of the Christian Circuit from 1811 to 1820, we now leave the general history of the church in the county and call attention to the precinct histories.
Methodist Church in Hopkinsville.-Perhaps the first Methodist Church ever built in Christian County was the one built by the Hopkinsville 11 Society " on the lot recently owned by the late Ben. 0. Welch, east of Railroad Street, between Market and Broad. We have no record of the date when this society was organized, but the history of the church in Kentucky and Christian County makes it pretty sure that it was very early in the nineteenth century; for as early as 1809 Rev. Samuel H. Thompson had charge of the Christian Circuit, of which Hopkinsville was the principal preaching place (II. Methodism in Kentucky, page 291). although the circuit is not mentioned in the general minutes of the church until 1811. The names of most if' not all the ministers who had served this church prior to 1811 have already been given in the general remarks on the church in the county. In addition to these may be named Benjamin Harrison, Ezekiel Harrison, Jr., John Burgess, Joseph Williams, Henry Allen, Richard Gaines, James Nichols, Jesse Harrison (and perhaps Reuben and Robert Harrison, both of whom were prominent Methodists), Thomas Kirkman and John Graham, all of whom were then laymen in the church. But little is known of these men except that they were eminently pious and useful in their day. Their very names meant the Methodism of the tithes, and their lives were bright examples of goodness and holiness, which exerted an influence for good in the community for many years after they had passed away. Rev. Kirkman was in the ministry for a good many years and died near Hopkinsville about forty years ago. He was not a man of great ability, but was so beloved that his name is still held in reverence by men who never saw him.
If we are not mistaken, the Hopkinsville Church still preserves with care an old-fashioned, straight-back chair with his name on it, used by the good old man two generations ago. From the best information obtainable we gather that the church here must have duly organized, as we have said, soon after the year 1800, though there had been Methodist preaching here some years before, as shown in another place. We are satisfied that the old 11 meeting-house " was immediately erected, if, in fact, it was not already there. It was a dilapidated old establishment, and there are men now living in Hopkinsville (1884) who remember the benches without backs, and the "cracks in the floor so large that the chickens could be seen scratching underneath." It was of brick, and here the church grew and prospered. Dr. Redford thinks the church had no place of worship until 1820, and that the court house was used for that purpose. That they had no church building prior to 1820 can only be true from a legal point of view ; and, as a matter of fact, the church had no legal title to their place of worship until the 21st of October, 1822, when George Kirkman, of Todd County, for $I 7 0 cash, conveyed the lot before referred to Peter Cartwright, Benjamin Harrison, Ezekiel Harrison, Jr., John Burgess, Joseph Williams, Henry Allen, Richard Gaines, James Nichols and Jesse Harrison in trust for the Hopkinsville Methodist Church. It is probable that the court house was used at times, but the old house was there years before. It was in this old meeting-house that the Tennessee Conference met in 1820, and the deed from Kirkman to the church describes the lot as " containing a Methodist meeting-house now erected." Some have thought this old church was new, perhaps incomplete at the time of the conference of 1820 ; but a reference to the aforesaid deed, executed in October, 1822, will show the following stipulation:
" In trust, that they shall erect and build, or cause to be erected and built thereon, a house or place of worship for the use of the members," etc.. and it is within the memory of some yet living, that according to this trust the church did very soon afterward, perhaps in 1823, repair and add to the old structure so as to perfect the building which was used by the church until the year 1848 or 1849. We may add here that, though the subject of parsonages had been frequently discussed by the church since 1820 (as the records show), occasionally houses rented for that purpose, and in 1833 the purchase of a parsonage for the Presiding Elder was ordered, it was not until the year 1838 that the committee was
directed "to inquire into the expediency of purchasing a parsonage," and not until 1846 that the Hopkinsville Church really bought one. T his was on the same lot with the old church, and was also of brick. It was sold, however, in I848. The following is a list of the preachers sent to the Christian Circuit (which included Hopkinsville) from 1810 to 1820, when Hopkinsville was cut off to itself and made a station : 1811, James Axley, Presiding Elder, Peter Cartwright, Circuit Preacher. The former of these was celebrated for his simplicity and meekness, the other for his great pugnacity. He was known and read of all men as the fighting
Perhaps no man in the American pulpit since that day has been so noted for courage and audacity. His piety was not questioned, but his manner was extremely rude and sometimes unfortunate. Both were good preachers. From 1812 to 1816, Peter Cartwright, P. E.; 1812, Jacob Turman, Circuit Preacher; 1813, Samuel H. Thompson, Circuit Preacher ; 1814, John Johnson, Circuit Preacher. This last named gentleman enjoyed a great reputation both as a preacher and debater.
It was in 1818 that the celebrated debates took place between him and Rev. Jeremiah Vardeman, a learned clergyman of the Baptist Church in Nashville and Hopkinsville. In these discussions they both made fire and sparks fly until their reputations spread all over the country. In 1815 Claiborne Duval was the Preacher; 1816 to 1818, James Axley was again Presiding Elder; 1816, Peter Cartwright, Preacher; 1817, Benjamin Malone, Assistant, and John Devan, Circuit Preacher; 1818 to 1821, Marcus Lindsey, Presiding Elder; 1818, John Cragg, Preacher; 1819, Peter Cartwright, Assistant, and Martin Flint, Circuit Preacher. In 1820, the conference cut Hopkinsville off from the circuit, and it remained what is called in Methodist parlance " a station " (as contra-distinguished from a circuit) until 1837. The following is a list of preachers on station and circuit until then: The first Preacher to the new station was Rev. Andrew Monroe in 1820. The circuit had Peter Cartwright and William W. McReynolds ; 1821 to 1825, Charles Holliday, P. E.; 1821, Hopkinsville, John Johnson ; Christian Circuit, Thomas A. Morris and Richard Gaines, Preachers. It needs not to be mentioned to the Methodist readers of this history that. this was the great and good Bishop Morris; 1822, Hopkinsville and Russellville, John Johnson; Christian Circuit, Thomas A. Morris and Major Stanfield ; 1823, at Hopkinsville, Thomas A. Morris; Christian Circuit, George McNelly and Abram Long; 1824, at Hopkinsville, Simon L. Booker; on the circuit, George Mc-Nelly and Newton G. Berryman ; 1825 to 1827, Thomas A. Morris Presiding Elder; 1825, at Hopkinsville, Richard Corwine; on circuit, William Peter and Benjamin Ogden ; 1826, Hopkinsville, John S. Barger; Christian Circuit, William Peter and David M. Tunnell; 1827 to 1831, George McNelly, Presiding Elder; 1827-29, Hopkinsville, William W. McReynolds ; Christian Circuit, Blatchlv C. Wood, Samuel Kenyon, John Sinclair and Thomas Waring ; 1829, Hopkinsville, Greenup Kelly; on circuit, George W. Robbins and William Phillips; 1830, Hopkinsville, A. H. Stemmons; Christian Circuit, John Denham and Clement D. Clifton ; 1831 to 1833, at Hopkinsville, H. J. Evans, Preacher ; on circuit, Newton G. Berryman and John Redman, two years each ; Dr. Redford gives W. S. Evans also ; 1832, Hopkinsville, Thomas W. Chandler ; 1833 to 1837, Isaac Collard, Presiding Elder ; 1833, Hopkinsville, John Beatty ; on circuit, Wilson S. McMurry and Buford Farris : 1834, Hopkinsville, W. S. Evans ; Christian Circuit, Leswel Campbell and Albert Kelly; 1835, Hopkinsville, W. S. McMurry; on circuit, Leswel Campbell and Reuben W. Landrum.
In 1836 Hopkinsville and Christian Circuit were again united under the name of Hopkinsville Circuit, and James H. Brooking and Edwin Roberts, Preachers. The following is a further list: From . 837 to 1841, Richard Corwine, P. E.; 1837, Gilby Kelly, Assistant, and Andrew J. McLaughlan, Circuit Preacher; 183 8, Gilby Kelly, Assistant, and N. H. Lee, Circuit Preacher; 1839, Edward Stevenson, Assistant; 1840, J. B. Perry, Assistant; 1841 to 1845, Edward Stevenson, P. E.; 1841, Richard Holding, Preacher; 1842 and 1843, Thomas Bottomley. On Christian Mission, Silas Drake; 1844, Abram Long and James N. Temple; 1845 to 1847, Napoleon B. Lewis, P. E.; 1845, Abram Long, in charge, and L. B. Davidson, Assistant; 1846, A. H. Redford and George R. Browder ; 1847 to 1851. Thomas Bottomly, P. E.; 1847, J. Young ; 1848, J. S. Wools. In 1849 Hopkinsville was again cut off to itself, and Samuel F. Johnson stationed here two years. On the circuit T. J. Moore; 1850, on circuit, B. R. Hester ; 1851 to 1855, N. H. Lee, P. E.; 1851, Hopkinsville, J. IV. Kasey, on circuit, S. D. Akin; 1852, Hopkinsville, J. S. Wools.
The remaining appointments to the circuit will be found in history of Shiloh Church. From 1853 to 1858 Garrettsburg was attached to Hopkinsville Circuit; 1853, Hopkinsville and Garrettsburg, F. M. English. Christian Mission South, B. R. Hester; Christian Mission North, R. C. Alexander. 1854, Hopkinsville and Garrettsburg, J. 11. Owen; Christian Mission, Abram Long and W. 1M. Malloy ; 1853 to 1857, Z. M. Taylor and J. S. Wools, Presiding Elders; Hopkinsville and Garrettsburg, J. H. Owen ; Christian Mission, T. D. Lewis; 1856, Hopkinsville and Garrettsburg, J. Maxwell; Christian Mission, W. W. Mann, two years; 1857 Hopkinsville and Garrettsburg, F. A. Morris two years. In 1859 Hopkinsville again stood alone. 1859 to 1861, Z, M. Taylor, P. E.; 1859 and 1860, Hopkinsville, L. P. Crenshaw ; in 1861, Garrettsburg added-; 1861, Hopkinsville and Garrettsburg,Gideon Gooch ; in 1862 Hopkinsville was again alone and has remained so ever since except one year with Shiloh ; 1861 to 1866, W. H. Morrison, P. E.; 1862, Dennis Spurrier ; 1863, J. C. Petree ; 1864-65-66, S. IV. Speer 1866 to 1869, Timothy C. Frogge, P. E.; 1867-68, J. C. Petree; 186970, J. W. Price; 1869, L. B. Davidson, Presiding Elder ; 1810, H. M. Ford, Presiding Elder, two years; 1872, D. Morton, P. E., followed by N. H. Lee, Isaac IV. Emerson and George Ii. Browder, the present P. E.; 1871-72-73, Thomas Bottomley, Preacher; 1814 to 1878, John W. Lewis ; the next three years Samuel R. Brewer, who was succeeded by Dr. E. W. Bottomley, the present Preacher.
The church in Hopkinsville has had many prominent, zealous and useful members. Early in its history Rev. Ira Ellis, a great and good man with his two sons, Nicholas M. and Ira I., and their families moved to the county and joined the church. They added much to the strength, influence and usefulness of the church. Rev. Ira Ellis was one of the first preachers of his day intellectually as well as in point of time. After fourteen years of uncommon success in the ministry " he withdrew himself from public view," says the Western Christian Advocate, "as if alarmed at his own popularity, in 1795." He preached occasionally in the old "meeting-house," until a few years before his death in 1841. His son Nicholas died April 24, 1849 and Ira only a few years ago. In addition to these were several of the old Hopson family-Henry, Sr., and Jr., and John and Neville Hopson. Mesdames Preston, Caldwell and Wilkinson were among the early lights of the church. Coming down to later years we find John H. Wood, William S. Talbott, William E. Price and "Aunt Margaret" his wife, Charlotte Laskin, Mrs. Nancy Feland. William Alexander (afterward a useful traveling preacher), Samuel A. Means, David R. Beard, James A. Henderson (now a preacher in the Kentucky Conference ), Ira F. Ellis, Dr. A. P. Campbell and a number of other useful and prominent Methodists still living. The first Sunday school organized by the Methodists in the county was organized by Mr. John B. Gowen, in 1844-45, in Hopkinsville. Mr. Gowen was at that time the most prominent. zealous and active layman, perhaps, in the county. During the war, however, he withdrew from the church and has not since rejoined it. This Sunday-school was reported in 1866 to have increased its membership from twenty to sixty, and to have expended-$30 for books, through the efforts of some young ladies.*
In 1846, under the ministry of Revs. A. H. Redford and George R. Browder, the church was in a prosperous condition, and the old building was decided to be inadequate to the necessities of the congregation. It was agreed; therefore, to sell the old meeting-house and parsonage and build a larger and more suitable church. The members went to work accordingly. On the 17th of March, 1848, William E. Price and wife conveyed to the trustees the lot on the corner of Nashville and Clay Streets, where the church now stands, and in due time the large and commodious brick edifice which is still used by this congregation was built, and dedicated with imposing ceremonies. Here the church has had many revivals, and is ~at present in a flourishing condition. It raised in 1883 $?,500 for repairs, and raises annually some $1,400 for the various enterprises of the church (including salaries of preacher and Presiding Elder). The membership at present comprises 260 persons, and the Sunday-school roll shows 190 pupils. The present officers of the church are as follows Trustees, Hon. John Feland, David J. Hooser, David R. Beard; Superintendent Sunday-school, J. W. I. Smith ; Stewards, Dr. A. P. Campbell, Ira F. Ellis, E. L. Foulks, John N. M Mills, Andrew Hall, Henry C. Ballard and Joe McCarroll.
The Baptist Church.-The sketch of the Baptist Church of Hopkinsville is by John Rust, Esq., of the Bethel Female College, and was read to the Baptist congregation on the occasion of Elder T. G. Keen's preaching his farewell sermon to the church. Through the courtesy of Mr. Rust we are permitted to use it in our history of the county. It is as follows:
The New Providence Baptist Church was constituted agreeably to the articles of association, at the private residence of John Pursley, situated about a mile west of the town of Hopkinsville on the north bank of the West Fork of Little River, June 6, 1818. The next day the church met in conference for business ; Elder Jesse Brooks was chosen Moderator, pro tem. and E. R. Bradley Church Clerk, pro tem.
The following names were enrolled as members: James Payne, Charles Thrift, John Pursley, Henry Rowland, Robert Slaughter, Sally Tally, Hezekiah Thrift, Grace Parsley, Lucy Slaughter and Winnie Payne, colored. Elder James Payne was called to the pastorate of the church. He was a man of more than ordinary intellectual ability. As a preacher he was abreast of the times, and stood high in the church and the community. At the regular church meeting on the Saturday before the first Sunday in August, 1818, Elder Payne was chosen Moderator and E. R. Bradley, Clerk. Dr. Augustine Webber was received into membership at this meeting. It was agreed to build a meeting-house 45x35 feet, the house to be located on the lot now occupied by the Hopkinsville High School building. It was also agreed at this meeting that the church should be known as the "New Providence Church," and Elder James Payne and E. R. Bradley were appointed Messengers to the Red River Association.
At the church meeting, September 5, 1818, Brothers Robert Slaughter and William H. Payne were appointed Deacons, though they were not ordained until the following October. In December of the same year the church resolved to "commemorate the Lord's Supper four times a year." December 4, 1819, Elder Payne resigned the pastoral charge of the church, which was without a pastor from that time until December, 1820, when the Rev. William Tandy was called. Before speaking of this good man it may be interesting to notice some of the church usages. In December, 1819, the church levied a tax on its membership to build a meeting-house ; a member was tried for not paying his subscription ; and the church determined that members were not required to give the hand of fellowship after baptism.
Rev. William Tandy was chosen Pastor December 7, 1820. He was a good preacher, much devoted to his calling, beloved by his congregation, and being able to live without compensation, he, with an exemplary generosity, continually refused to accept any pay for his services. During Brother Tandy's pastorate, in May, 1821, Brother Armistead G. Slaughter was received into the church by baptism.
At the church meeting on December 7, 1821, Elder William Warfield was invited to preach twice a month. At the same meeting the church proposed to grant Dr. Webber the privilege of exercising his gifts. Feeling some hesitation, Dr. Webber asked that the matter be left with himself, which was agreed to.
The church minutes from 1821 to 1823 could not be found, and the next item recorded is the call of Mr. Warfield to the pastorate, November 8, 1823. Mr. Warfield was no ordinary man. He commanded the respect and love of his brethren and the community. His large acquirements and other superior advantages eminently fitted him for his field of action. At the meeting on January 11, the church unanimously opposed a division of the association, and at the same meeting a tag of 122 cents on the $100 was levied to meet the church expenses. The minutes of this year record the trials of members for slander, backbiting, heterodoxy, etc. February 13, 1825, Rev. Warfield was re-chosen pastor. In October of this year the church resolved to appoint messengers to form a new association, and Elder William Warfield, James Clark, Dr. A. Webber and Armistead G. Slaughter were named as messengers.
The church at different meetings of this year resolved to stand during singing and kneel at prayer; that a male member under censure is ineligible to the office of clerk or assistant clerk ; that any male member absent at two consecutive meetings shall be cited to attend and explain ; that questions of receiving or dismissing members, licensing or ordaining ministers and choosing pastor and deacons, require unanimity: all others may be decided by a majority; that slander shall be dealt with, and if the slandered party shrinks from taking the Gospel steps he shall be publicly rebuked ; that a member under censure is not entitled to church privileges ; and finally, one member is excluded under the charge of Unitarianism. Many other curious customs might be mentioned, but in the course of a few years they were abolished by church action, or neglected until forgotten.
Rev. William Warfield continued in the pastorate till 1827, when, in May of that year, Rev. Robert Rutherford was elected pastor. Elder Rutherford was a co-laborer with Elder Reuben Ross, in the early work of the Bethel Association. He was a well-educated Scotchman, with a rich brogue and great pulpit earnestness. Aside from his pastoral duties, he did much missionary work in southern Kentucky.
In 1833, Elder Rutherford finding it impossible to serve the church regularly, Elder J. ll. Pendleton was engaged to preach two Sundays in the month, and in August of this year he was received into the church by letter. In November, 1833, Rev. Pendleton was ordained by Elders Ross, Warfield, Tandy and Rutherford. The life and works of this man of God are too well known to need mention in this connection. He is a man of splendid powers, highly cultivated, but lie is still serving his Master, and after he has been called hence will be time enough for those who know him to speak of his excellencies.
It was during his administration that this church became known as the Hopkinsville Church. This change of name may have been made officially, but the minutes contain no account of it. In August, 1836, a committee consisting of Brothers Pendleton and Webber presented fifteen articles of faith, which the church adopted.
In December, 1836, Elder Pendleton withdrew from this church, but he was requested to preach to the congregation as often as convenient. committee was appointed to ask Elder Hubbard to occupy the pulpit one Sunday in the month, and the request was repeated the next year. The same year an invitation was extended to Elder Anderson. It seems this condition of affairs continued till 1839, when Elder Anderson took pastoral charge. In December, 1841, Rev. T. G. Keen was called to the
pastorate, and remained in charge till 1845. In 1845 the church was incorporated, and Dr. Keen resigned. The next year the church extended a call to Rev. Samuel Baker, which was accepted. Dr. Baker only preached once a month at first, but the next year his whole time was secured. Dr. Baker is well known to the people of Kentucky, and occupies a leading place in the ministry. He is a critical scholar, a good speaker, and has no superior as an ecclesiastical historian. He is still at work among his brethren, and needs no eulogy from our hands. In 1850, Dr. Baker resigning, the Rev. A. D. Sears took charge of the church. During his pastorate Bethel Female College was established and built. Dr. Sears is a cultivated gentleman, an earnest pulpit orator, and a good - pastor. Under his labors the church made material progress. But lie, like other of our former pastors, is still. actively engaged in his ministerial duties, and needs no further mention in this sketch. In 1864, when the war clouds were still lowering, ~lien brethren and families in the same churches in Kentucky were often found in the ranks of the opposing armies, the church in Hopkinsville formed no exception ; and when the subject of calling a pastor was discussed by the few who dared to mention the matter to each other, it was thought hardly possible to find any one sufficiently conservative to unite the two parties, the honesty of whose opinions and sentiments had been tried on many a bloody battle-field. Dr. Keen, then pastor at Petersburg, Va., was mentioned. He had been pastor here before the war. It was doubted whether a greater unanimity could be obtained on any other name North or South. He was unanimously called to the pastorate, accepted the call, passed the lines without molestation by either party, entered upon his work; and, however deep may have been the rankle of party prejudice, it is a fact worthy of mention that the mantle of peace has ever been over the church. Dr. Keen's record is made, and the events of his twenty years' labors with the church bear stronger testimony to his fidelity than any mere utterance of words. Dr. Keen was the first pastor who was called for his whole time, and it was during his connection with the church that the present edifice was originally erected and recently remodeled.
[The following sketches of members are by Prof.J. W. Rust, President of the Bethel Female College of Hopkinsville.-ED.]
We feel that the history of our church viewed alone in the line of its pastorates and usages would be incomplete without some reference to those good and pious brethren who have long since gone to their reward. Among those who have held membership in this church and worshiped with this people may be mentioned Dr. Augustine Webber. perhaps one of the most thorough scholars in all that relates to our faith and practice that has ever adorned our common membership. To him the Bible was the inspired oracle of a living God. He walked by faith and not by sight. He feared God and eschewed evil.
His zeal never abated. With heavy professional obligations pressing upon him as a physician, he seldom failed to be in his place as a church member. ever ready to help in any good work ; while his pious wife, rivaling if possible his Christian enthusiasm, stood by his side in full sympathy with every move that looked to the spiritual life and growth of the church. Her gentle, loving, earnest and intelligent work in the Sunday-school will never be forgotten. The names of these two humble, loving Christians will ever be linked together in the memories of all who knew them-who have drawn inspiration and encouragement from their noble, consecrated lives.
John P. Campbell Sr., possessed force of mind, dignity of character, general intelligence and liberality in support of the Gospel rarely equaled and never surpassed by any of his cotemporaries. In his life benevolence was conspicuous. Under what he conceived to be demands of necessity his liberality knew no bounds. He was always ready, with or without others to meet the balance of every church obligation. It was by his munificence more than that of any one else that Bethel Female College was founded. His donations amounted to fully one-third of its cost, and it may to-day be justly recognized as a living monument to his memory. Just before the war, sitting on his horse at the college gate one morning, he remarked to the writer, pointing to the building, ~` That is only the center, two wings must be added." The beautiful Christian life of his devoted wife added luster to his own, and in both church and home these two grand and good people exemplified a liberality and hospitality which honored the profession they had made.
E. J. Roberts was one of the most devoted men the church ever had in its membership. His humility, firmness, kindness. liberality and moderation were happily blended, controlled by a strong abiding faith and great decision of character.
John Buckner's long, consistent life as a Christian is well remembered by those who often bowed with him around the altar of prayer. Kind and faithful, he was ever ready to lend the helping hand in time of need.
Armistead G. Slaughter united with this church in its early history. Some years after he removed to Bethel Church near Pembroke. He was a man of strong convictions and genuine Christian integrity ; devoted to all the services of the church, and liberal in the support of its enterprises. He was unusually well read in the affairs of the denomination, in which he took an abiding interest.
Jacob Torian was one of the pillars of the church. With an impulsive. impressible nature, he was admirably fitted by grace to attend to the general interest of the church, and in the pastor's absence his services were justly recognized as of the highest value.
William H. Pendleton's name will bring to the memory of those who knew him best one of the most active, earnest and faithful members of this church. A close Bible student. gifted in prayer and exhortation, and whether in the Sunday-school, in the prayer-meeting, or in the financial interests of the church, he was alike not only efficient but enthusiastic in his work. With many positive elements of character, he was aggressive in his nature, and his heart was ever enlisted in the work of the Lord. A life of great usefulness was spread out before him, but the summons came, and he exchanged the toils of earth for a crown in heaven.
Joseph M. Cheaney is another remembered for his good works. A more spiritually-minded Christian may not be found among our member-ship. Earnest in exhortation and in song, the interests of the church seemed uppermost in his mind. He showed his religion by his daily walk. He was always "fervent in spirit, serving the Lord."
Of James Clark, John Hawkins, Thomas P. Clark, Zack Glass, Thomas M. Buck, E. B. Richardson, Alpheus Palmer and others equally worthy of mention, we would be glad to speak, but the limits of this sketch will not permit.
We beg to close these hasty and imperfect personal references with a brief allusion to one of the most remarkable men ever connected with our church.
John Hubbard removed from Virginia to Kentucky in 1836 and connected himself with the church. Although solicited to preach, he generally refused, feeling that his mission was to exhort. So remarkably gifted was lie in this kind of service, that he was often invited to assist pastors in protracted meetings. His exhortations after sermons were powerful and effective. Competent persons, who have heard him; say that when making an appeal before an audience with his emotional nature aroused, the " expressiveness of his eye, the clear and solemn tones of his voice, his whole manner indicating the deep earnestness and solicitude of his soul for the salvation of sinners, were such as often to carry conviction to the sinner's heart that had remained unmoved under the sermon. Indeed, so powerful were his exhortations, that he is said to have reached the hearts of men of all classes as few preachers could. This desire to be instrumental in the salvation of sinners was not the result of a momentary impulse with Mr. Hubbard, but seemed to be the abiding burden of his heart, and the uppermost thought of his mind." The name of John Hubbard will be held in remembrance by thousands who have listened to his unaffected and impressive exhortations, many of whom he effectually led to the Savior. His death like his life was a grand triumph of faith. During his last illness, his devoted wife seeing that his end was nigh labored with him and prayed that he might have "dying grace." Seeing the deep grief that awaited her terrible bereavement, he earnestly prayed that she might have " living grace," and thus they strove to comfort each other to the very doors of death.
But turning from the sainted dead. let us not look mournfully back, but hopefully forward. The lessons of their lives are before us. Let us feel that we can best perpetuate their memories by emulating their noble deeds.
The Presbyterian Church of Hopkinsville.-The sketch here given of the Presbyterian Church was prepared for this work by Judges Landes and McPherson
The history of Presbyterianism in Hopkinsville, up to the date of separation in 1567, is the common heritage of both -Northern and Southern divisions of that church. The first Presbyterian Church organized in the county was in Hopkinsville in the year 1813, and under the auspices of the Rev. Edwin Blackburn. The earlier records of the church have been lost and it is impossible to give the precise date of the organization, or the names of the original members. For a number of years the church was irregularly supplied with preaching, and worshiped in the old log court house on the public square. It is thought the first church edifice was erected some time about the year 1820. It stood upon the lot of ground on the south side of Nashville Street, where now stands the present church edifice of the Southern Presbyterians. This last-named edifice was built in the year 1849. It is a large, substantial brick building, with basement offices, etc.
The following-named ministers served the church up to the time of the division, July 20, 1867 :
First, Rev. William K. Stewart was pastor for several years, but just how long cannot now be ascertained. Second, Rev. Joseph Cushman supplied the pulpit for eighteen months or more.
Third, Rev. R. Lapsley from 1824 to 1829. Fourth, he was succeeded by Rev. Thomas Caldwell, who died November 5, 1833, while supplying the church. Fifth, Rev. William D. Jones became pastor in 1834, and continued in that relation until 1848. Sixth, Rev. B. H. McCown filled the pulpit acceptably up to 1852. The church was without a pastor for a short time. Seventh, in 1853, the Rev. F. U. Strahan became the stated supply and continued to serve the congregation up to October, 1858. Eighth, shortly after Mr. Strahan left, the Rev. H. V. D. Nevius, now of Jacksonville, Ill., became pastor and continued in that relation from 1859 to March, 186 7 . A few months after the departure of Rev. Nevius, (July 20, 1867) the division referred to above took place, one part of the congregation (about forty) adhering to what is known as the "Northern Assembly," the other (about forty-four) adhering to the " Southern Assembly."
The two churches continued to occupy jointly the church building on Nashville Street, dividing the time equally until 1878, when the church property was divided. By the terms of this agreement the " Southern Assembly" congregation retained possession of the church building and lot, while the " Northern Assembly " congregation retained possession of the parsonage lot and building, the former paying the latter the difference between the two properties. The further terms of this agreement were that the "Northern Assembly" should be known as the First, and `` Southern Assembly " congregation as the Second Presbyterian Church of Hopkinsville, Ky., while both were to continue to occupy the old building jointly till the 1st day of January, 18 7 9. The two churches were subsequently incorporated under the respective names agreed upon, and on January 1, 1870, the First Church surrendered their interest in the church property.
First Presbyterian Church.-In the year 1880 this congregation erected its church edifice, situated on the southeast corner of Russellville and Liberty Streets. The first service held in it was on the 7th day of November, 1880. The building is of brick and of the English-Gothic style of architecture, and cost including lot and church furniture the sum of $7,500. It has a seating capacity of 275, but on special occasions with the use of chairs has accommodated 400 or more persons. This church is connected with the Presbytery of Louisville, and through it with the Synod of Kentucky, and the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in the United States of America. Since the division it has had the following pastors, viz.: Revs. James H. Dinsmore, W. T. Hall, A. W. Colver, Heman H. Allen, D. D., and Richard H. Coulter, the present pastor of the church, who was installed September 14, 1881. He commenced his ministry in the church as a licentiate, in May, 1880 ; was called to the pastorate January 15, 1881, and ordained to the full work of the Gospel Ministry by the Presbytery at Shelbyville, Ky., April, 1881. The present membership of the church is seventy-two; Acting Elders, R. H. Kelly, Jr., Allan Wallis and Joseph 1. Landes Deacons, Walter Kelly, W. T. Bonte, and J. M. Starling.
The Sunday-school numbers about fifty, officers, teachers and scholars, with an average attendance of forty pupils. The Superintendent is Judge Joseph I. Landes, who is also the present Clerk of the session.
Second Presbyterian Church.-As already mentioned, the adherents of the `1 Southern Assembly " at the time of the separation retained possession of the church property on Nashville Street, and consented to adopt the name and title of the Second Presbyterian Church of Hopkinsville, Ky. The first stated supply after the. division of the church, was the Rev. H. M. Painter, who served them up to 1870, at which time (about April) the present pastor, Rev. John C. Tate, succeeded him.
The present officers of the church are : Elders, Thomas Green, G. W. Jarrett, S. H. McCullough, J. B. McKenzie, and John W. McPheron; Deacons, James C. Moore, J. E. McPherson, Dr. J. M. Dennis and G. A. Champlin, Trustees, Charles B. Alexander, C. L. Dade, James C. Moore, and G. A. Champlin ; Sunday-school Superintendent, J. E. McPherson. The present membership of the church is about 120, while the Sunday-school numbers some sixty officers and scholars.
The Christian Church.-The following sketch of the Christian Church in Hopkinsville was compiled from the history of that church written by Col. George Poindexter
The Christian Church was organized in Hopkinsville in November, 18 32. Previous to this an open rupture had taken place between those who sympathized with Alexander Campbell in his reformatory movements, and the Baptist Church in Kentucky. This rupture led to much warm contention and strife throughout the State, which, with the action of the Bethel Baptist Association held in Hopkinsville a short time previous, led to and hastened the formation of this church. Three persons who withdrew from the Baptist Church and some few others out of church relation, but baptized believers who were in full accord with Alexander Campbell, with a remnant of the old Christian Church in sympathy with Barton W. Stone, met at the court house on the date above named, and, with the assistance of Isaiah Boone, Dr. A. Adams and William Davenport., an organization was effected. At this meeting were enrolled the names of Miles Gray, R. S. Dulin, Thomas Poindexter, Phoebe Poindexter. Martha Williams, Samuel Calloway, Athelia Calloway, Samuel Harry. Mary Harry. George Poindexter, Joseph Stewart, Charles Stewart, B. F. Shields, Elizabeth Shipp, B. T. Wood and Eliza Rowland. At a subsequent meeting in December, the church appointed R. S. Dulin, Miles Gray and S. W. Calloway, Elders; Thomas and George Poindexter, Deacons, and George Poindexter, Clerk. Thus organized, the church next looked around for a suitable place of worship. This was found in the small brick meeting-house owned by the adherents of Mr. Stone in common with the Cumberland Presbyterians. Here both congregations worshiped on alternate Sundays for several years. In 1840 it was partially destroyed by wind during a violent storm, and the Cumberland Presbyterians preferring to sell out their interest in the building rather than incur the expense of repairing it, it became the sole property of the Reformers. It was soon repaired by the latter and from then on to the fall of 1850 they continued to use it as their place of regular worship. In 18-49 the building again needed repairs, and the church having grown in strength financially `as well as numerically, it was decided to erect a. new and more commodious edifice rather than repair and refit the old one. Accordingly a subscription was started and steps taken to begin the work immediately. By the fall of the next year, 1850, the building was so far advanced as to permit the occupancy of the basement rooms, and in these they continued to worship till its final completion in the summer of 1851. The entire cost of the building did not exceed $10,000, and in it the congregation have since continued to worship. The present officers of the church are: Elders, E. H. Hopper, George Poindexter, B. S. Campbell, D. J. Gish, John Orr, and George C. Long ; Deacons, I1 S. D. Steele, James E. Jesup, Milton Gant, Edward Campbell, John Boxley, W. P. Winfree and Dennis F. Smithson.
The pastors who have from time to time served this church are as follows, viz.: Isaiah Boone, George P. Street, Henry T. Anderson, George W. Elly, John D. Ferguson, William C. Rogers, John M. Barnes. Enos Campbell, James M. Long. A. W. Walthall, IV. J. Barbee, T. A. Crenshaw, R. C. Cave, L. H. Stine, C. K. Marshall and E. L. Powell. This latter much beloved pastor and faithful man of God, while delivering an impassioned address to his congregation in February, 1850, was stricken down with apoplexy, and in a few hours called to his heavenly reward. That he was not only beloved by his own flock, but held in high esteem by the community at large was fully attested by the many expressions of tender sympathy and condolence proffered the bereaved family, and the large concourse of citizens who attended his remains to the grave.
Besides the regular pastors many other eminent :Ministers of the Gospel from abroad have visited the church from time to time and broken to them the Bread of Life. Among them, and chiefest, the venerable Alexander Campbell may be mentioned, who visited the church three times before his death. The Revs. Barton W. Stone, Allen and Carroll Kendrick, William Norton, Dr. W. H. Hopson, J. H. Jones, John Echbaum, Knowles Shaw, Talbott Farming, J. IV. McGarvey, W. S. Keen and C. M. Day, Col. George Poindexter, to whom we are indebted for the facts for this sketch, relates the following anecdote in connection with a visit of Barton W. Stone to the Hopkinsville Church. " The writer of this never had the pleasure of being in the presence of Mr. Stone but once, and then only for a short time. While visiting this place (the year not remembered) I went with him to show him the house of old Sister Shipp, whom he had known in former years. On our way there a sudden shower drove us to
seek shelter in the nearest house. Finding the door open, and the rain beginning to fall fast. we stepped in without knocking. In the room we found a pious and much esteemed old lady, a mother in Israel in the Presbyterian Church. When we entered the room she rose to her feet and intently fixed her eyes on the venerable old man. Without a word being spoken by either, for Some moments they earnestly scanned each other, then, advancing toward him with a quick step and a look of recognition. she exclaimed: ` Barton W. Stone! ' In an instant her arms were about his neck, her forehead on his shoulder, while her streaming eyes attested the glad surprise she felt at meeting him. Though she differed with him religiously, yet had she long loved him for his goodness and faithfulness in the cause and kingdom of their common Lord. She only saw before her the honored Christian, the faithful minister, the valiant soldier of the Cross. The scene to me was a highly interesting one, and to this day when it recurs to my mind I can but think how naturally the hearts of all Christians would flow together in sympathy and love but for the pride of opinion, the tyranny of sectarianism."
In connection with the pastorate it is a remarkable fact, and one well worthy of mention, that no pastor, no one who has ever served this congregation, has been suffered to go away unpaid, even to the last farthing. Another item, and one especially creditable to the enlightened liberality and Christian benevolence of the membership is the fact that they have always contributed their quota of means, and done what they could for the spread of the Gospel among the benighted of the earth. In this connection, and as an illustration of the fact, an interesting incident is related by Col. Poindexter in his sketch of the church : " In the beginning of the year 1853 the Christian Missionary Society made a call for some one qualified and willing to go to Liberia as their missionary. Aleck Cross. a colored man, had been living here several years, and was well known to the church as a pious and orderly member, and as possessed with extraordinary gifts as a public speaker. The church deeming him a suitable person for the place conferred with him on the subject, and found him both willing and anxious to go could his freedom be obtained. His owner, a Mr. Cross; of Todd County, was seen, and out of consideration for his kind feelings for Aleck, and the worthy object in view, he consented to let the church have him for the nominal sum of $550, notwithstanding he could easily have gotten $1,200 elsewhere. Having secured his freedom, the church provided him with books and other necessary means of improving his mind, of which he industriously, availed himself till his departure for Africa. Enos Campbell voluntarily took him under his supervision and instruction, and so assiduous was he in his self-imposed labor of love that by the time he was ready to depart he had been well qualified for the duties and responsibilities of the station. He landed on the coast of Africa in the winter of 1853-54, and so eager was he to begin his labors that he would not wait till sufficiently recovered from the effects of the inevitable climate fever of the coast, but at once entered upon the work of his mission. The exposure was too sudden, and brought on a fatal relapse, and just when we were expecting good news from him. came the intelligence of his death.
The news brought general sorrow and regret to all who knew him, and well it might, for he was no ordinary man, and gave great promise of future usefulness."
The Sunday-school -connected with this church, from the time of its first organization, about thirty-five years ago, has been regularly and successfully kept up, and has proved not only of inestimable benefit to the young, but a great blessing to the church. At present it is in a very flourishing condition, and now numbers some 125 in officers, teachers and pupils.
In the cause of general education, beside many benefactions to other institutions, the church points with pride to the South Kentucky College, with its elegant and commodious buildings and broad campus, which stood at the head of Nashville Street, in Hopkinsville, and was lately burned, but which, through the efforts of the Faculty under the management of Maj. S. R. Crumbaugh, will be rebuilt and ready for the fall term of (1884) the present year.
Rev. Henry Anderson.-At the request of his friends a few words in connection with the Christian Church is devoted to Elder Henry Anderson, once its pastor. He was born in Caroline County, Va., in 1812, and was reared and educated under the influence of Baptist parents. He was married when but nineteen years of age to Miss Jane Buckner of Virginia, and the year following entered upon the duties of a Christian minister. His entire life was one of continued ministerial labor to which he added a great amount of classical study, taking up the Hebrew language without the aid of any instructor but his books, and obtained complete mastery of the tongue. Much of his life study was devoted to a translation of the New Testament, which he published in the year 1862. He came to Hopkinsville in 1837, remaining until 1846, during which time he organized many of the churches in this and the adjoining counties. Here, in 1848. his wife died. He removed to Louisville in 1847, and until 1854 was pastor of the Fourth and Walnut Street Church, and though pressed to remain, he decided to remove, going to the vicinity of Harrodsburg, Ky. Here and at various other points in Kentucky he labored with marked success, until he finally became the pastor of a church in Washington City. where he died in 1872. He has two children living Clarence Anderson of Hopkinsville, and Lelia, wife of Dr. Benjamin Trabue, of Glasgow, Ky.
Cumberland Presbyterian Church.-The following sketch of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church of Hopkinsville was furnished for this work by the pastor-Rev. A. C. Biddle. It is necessarily brief, as the early records, we learn, have been mislaid or were destroyed in the disastrous fire of 1882:
The first organization of a Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Hopkinsville was effected in the year 1825 or 1336. The meeting for organization was in what was then known as the Unitarian Church, located at the corner of Virginia and Court Streets. Its officers or Elders were David Usher, John Finly and Rezin Elliott. The little flock, not being able at that time to erect for itself a house of worship, entered into an agreement with the Unitarian people, by which they were to complete the unfinished house of the latter, and occupy it alternately with them, under a lease of ten years. In the meantime, in the year 1829, the Rev. James Y. Barnett bad settled near Hopkinsville, in Christian County, in the bounds of the Salubria Springs congregation. Soon thereafter. He took ministerial charge of the struggling enterprise, and in 1839 the church was in a flourishing condition. In this year (1839) the Green River Synod first met with the congregation, still worshiping in the Unitarian Church, and the Rev. S. G. Burney, D. D., now Senior Professor of Theology in Cumberland ,University, preached the opening sermon. Soon, however, the church was to be called upon to build for itself. On the night of the 20th of January, 1840, the church house was unroofed, and otherwise badly injured by a violent storm, so that it was considered more wise to build than to repair. On the 23d of March, 1841, a lot was purchased of George Poindexter, 65x82-6, on Russellville Street. The trustees appointed to receive this property at the hands of Mr. Poindexter, were Rev. James Y. Barnett, Magnus T. Carnahan, Rezin Elliott, William R. Payne and James Edwards. Upon this lot the Building Committee, composed of Rev. Mr. Barnett, Rezin Elliott and Magnus T. Carnahan, began at once the erection of a house of worship. The building was of brick, 3 7x45 feet ; and here they continued to worship with but few interruptions until the breaking out of the war.
In 1848 the Rev. James Y. Barnett died at his home near Pembroke, and was followed in his pulpit ministrations by the Rev. A. J. Baird, D. D., now of Nashville, Tenn., and he in turn was followed by the Rev. Samuel B. Vance, now of Henderson, Ky. For some years before the war it seems that the congregation was without a settled minister, and when at last the war was over, it t left not only the congregation wholly disorganized and badly scattered, but the building itself in a deplorable condition. It had been used first as a hospital by the Confederate army; then as a carriage shop, during which time it narrowly escaped destruction by fire, and then again it was used as a schoolroom.
From this date (1869) the facts in the history of this congregation are taken from the records of the church session. It appears that some time during 1868 or the early part of 1669, the congregation had been reorganized by the Rev. Joel M. Penick, for at the fall meeting of the Daviess Presbytery, October 9, 1869, a representative from the Hopkinsville Church appeared before the Presbytery, bearing a petition asking to be received under the care of that body. In that petition is found the following statement: `- We would respectfully represent that we now have a membership of thirty-two, with four Ruling Elders, viz.: Henderson Wade, Edwin Edwards. G. W. Wyley and A. H. Ferguson, and also have a house of worship in the town of Hopkinsville." The congregation was served from this time until May, 1810, by Mr. Penick, and from that time till March, 1871, by Rev. J. M. Gill, D. D., of Elkton, Ky. On the 4th of March, 1871, the congregation formally called to the pastorate the Rev. A. H. Berry, now of Horse Cave, Ky., and he was shortly thereafter installed as pastor. At the spring session of presbytery, Apr 1, 1873, this relationship was dissolved, and in August of the same year the Rev. R. J. Beard now of Petersburg, Ill., took charge of the church. In May of 1876 the congregation found itself again without a pastor, in which condition it continued until October, 1877, when Rev. ?M. 0. Smith took charge, and was formally installed in the following November. Under the guidance of Revs. Beard and Smith, the congregation had grown to nearly 100 members. But unfortunately Mr. Smith was compelled to resign on account of a throat affliction, and his resignation was accepted October 5, 1881. Rev. J. A. Francis, of Lebanon, Tenn., was then employed for several months as a supply. On the 24th of October, 1882, occurred the disastrous fire, which must remain a memorable land-mark in the memories of the citizens of Hopkinsville, and in this fire the Cumberland Presbyterian church-house fell. The congregation at once determined to rebuild. On the 16th of July, 1883, Rev. A. C. Biddle accepted a call to take charge; a building committee was appointed, and the work of rebuilding progresses.
At the present time (March 25, 1884) the officers of the church are as follows : Pastor, Rev. A. C. Biddle ; Elders, Edwin Edwards, Henderson Wade, Gustavus W. Wiley, James P. Braden and A. Campbell ; Deacons, John A. F. Brown, William W. Twyman, M. W. Williams, R. D. Reader. The membership numbers eighty-eight. The Sabbath school is now under the efficient conduct of M. 0. Smith as Superintendent.
Grace Episcopal Church.*-The parish of Grace Episcopal Church was organized in October, 1831, at a meeting held by the following persons : Messrs. George Ward, David Glass, M. D., Livingston Lindsay, James D. Steele, M. D., E. A. Green and David Banks, of Christian County. The Rev. George P. Giddinge, missionary of the Protestant Episcopal Church; Rev. B. B. Smith, of Lexington, afterward Bishop of Kentucky ; and the Rev. Gideon McMillan, of Danville, were also present. No record can be found of the original members of the church, but in the parish register, under the date of 1834, we find the names of John Rawlins and wife, Henry Hopson, M. D., Edward Ashley, Penelope M. Giddinge, Albert A. Willis, Rebecca Glass, Lucretia M. Ward, Abraham Pope, Sarah Wallace, Catherine Hopson, Elizabeth L. Pope and Frances E. Nelson.
The Rev. George P. Giddinge was the first Rector of the parish, succeeded by the Revs. F. B. Nasb, George Beckett, Louis Jansen, J. M. Curtis, S. Hermann, W. E. Webb, James J. Page, Gideon B. Perry, Robert M. Baker, Charles Morris and the present incumbent, John H. Venable. No details of their respective labors can be given. Several of them were engaged in teaching, besides their ministerial work, and receive more extended notice in connection with the educational history of Hopkinsville.
The first church edifice was of wood, and was built on Virginia Street, during the rectorship of Rev. Mr. Beckett. Various improvements were made upon it from. time to time, but at length, being considered unsafe, it was sold by the vestry in 188?, and a lot purchased on the corner of Court and Liberty Streets. A handsome Gothic edifice of brick with stone trimmings, and capable of seating 300 persons, is now (March. 1884) nearing completion.
The present membership is about seventy-five; Rector, Rev. J. H. Venable ; Vestry : Dr. James W heeler, Senior Warden; George V. Green, Junior Warden; Hunter Wood, William J. Withers, Nathan Gaither, M. H. Nelson, William G. Wheeler and R. H. De Treville, the latter Secretary and Treasurer. A Sunday-school will be organized as soon as the church building is completed and ready for occupation.
The Catholic Church.-The Roman Catholic Church of Hopkinsville stands on Nashville Street, near the South Kentucky College, and is a beautiful location for a church. We have been unable to obtain any facts or information of this church, and can give but a limited sketch of it. It is a frame building and is located in a large and spacious lot, and altogether is a pretty little church. Rev. Father Hegans is Pastor, and the membership is rather small, as people of the Catholic faith are and always have been few in number in Hopkinsville.
The Colored Methodist Church.-The history of this church was written by Judge McCarroll, and is as follows : The colored Methodist people of Hopkinsville have had preachers and preaching ever since about the year 1830, possibly a little later than that. They had no church building or property of course until after their emancipation, but met in the church owned by the whites, and there had the Gospel preached to them. Since 18-48 they met in the Sunday-school room of the present (white) Methodist Church on Clay and Nashville Streets, until they built a church of their own. Soon after the war they purchased a good lot on the corner of Liberty and Hickory Streets which had an old frame building on it, to which they made an addition, and thus had a very comfortable and roomy church. This was about the time of the organization of the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church in America by the Southern Methodist Church. They had their society incorporated by the Legislature, and took a solid stand at once among the churches of the city. Some difficulty was at first experienced in paving for their church, but through the activity of Nelson Cross, one of the oldest members, and with the good example of his liberality, and the assistance of the whites, it was fully paid for. We find from records of the Christian Circuit, that the Quarterly Conference was licensing their preachers as far back as 1838 : Thomas Northington and John Philips were licensed to preach that year. Peter Stroud, Richard Gant and Cyrus Glass were licensed to exhort about the same time, and their licenses renewed, especially Stroud's, for many years. The church has done well here, and numbers among its members the most substantial and influential and upright colored persons in the county. Only a few years ago they tore down the old frame; and in 1880 completed one of the most substantial and commodious brick churches in the city, which we hear is all paid for; they also have a parsonage. The church is called Freeman's Chapel, being named for Peter Freeman, one of the old reliable members, and a Class Leader in the church.
Among the old preachers of this church were kit Humphreys, Stewart Newton, Ned Newton, David Ratcliffe, Ned Jones, George McLain and James Allen. Of these preachers none rose to the prominence or had the ability of Ned Jones. He was bright, and set free by the church in slavery times and educational facilities furnished him. When in his prime he was regarded as a most excellent preacher. He frequently preached to large congregations of whites . he died in 1865. All the old preachers are now dead except Dave Ratcliffe, who is extremely old and feeble. Amongst the prominent laymen have been Benjamin Phelps, Mat Phelps, Nelson Cross, James and Orange Warfield, Phil Bell, Kit Banks and Peter Postell. " Uncle Kit," as he is familiarly called, was for many years prior to January 1, 1884. the faithful Sexton for the Methodist Episcopal Church South, but owing to feeble health resigned at that time. Since the separate organization of the church, Revs. Walker. Cowen, Hubbard, James Bell and Dr. Matthews have served the church. The church at present numbers about 315 members, and the officers are Nelson Cross, Phil Bell, Columbus Lynch, Ned Turner, John Moore, \Marshall Williams, J. R. Hawkins and Miner Thomas.
The Colored Baptist Church is located on Virginia Street, and is a large and substantial brick edifice.
It is lighted with gas, and well furnished and comfortably seated. It has a large membership, some 500 or 600, as we were informed, and is in a very flourishing condition. Rev. E. Richey is the Pastor. We were unable to obtain the facts of its early history and organization. A large and flourishing Sunday-school is maintained in connection with the church.
Cemeteries.-To care for the dead, and beautify and adorn their silent habitations is solemn duty incumbent upon the living, and a beautiful, well-kept burying-ground is a sure index of the finer feelings of the people to whom it belongs. Abraham said: " Give me possession of a bury-ins-place with you, that I may bury my dead out of sight," and since that day all nations and peoples have paid more or less respect to their dead, according to their stage of civilization.
The early records of the county show that Bartholomew Wood, among other donations to the town of Hopkinsville, made one of a certain lot of land for a cemetery. This is in the southwest part of the city, adjoining the grounds of the High School building. and is known as the Old Baptist Cemetery. Here, where the grass, weeds and briers grow rank with the vapors of decaying mortality, sleep many of the early pioneers of Hopkinsville and Christian County, some of them without so much as a rude bowlder to mark the spot where they lie. Upon the stones, now crumbling into dust like the bores which rest beneath them, appear many names once well known in the town. There is the name almost obliterated by moss growing over it of Benjamin Eggleston, who died in 1819 ; Francis M. Dallam, who died in 1823 ; William Nichol in 1829 ; Benjamin York in 1825 ; John Gibson, born in 1777 and died in 1844 ; Mrs. Ann E. Wood in 1838 ; James H. McLaughlan, the first regular Circuit Clerk, died in 1 823 ; Peyton Short in 1825 ; Edward Slaughter in 1839 ; Dr. Moses Steele in 1517 ; Mrs. Susanna Steele, born December ?5, 17-40, and died in 1820 , Mrs. ~llary Bell in 1818 ; Benjamin W. Patton in 1825 ; John Long in 1816 ; Samuel A. Miller in 1823, and many others who passed away half a century ago. Some of the old family servants sleep there too, side by side with their masters, and " six feet of earth make them all of one size."
As the city increased in population and necessity demanded an extension of its limits, the old burying-ground was deemed too near for convenience, and, besides, too small for the growing community.
So, about 1836-1837 a new cemetery was laid out north of the city, just across the river, typical, perhaps, of that river we must all sooner or later cross to reach our home in the skies. It is a beautiful cemetery, artistically laid out with walks and drives, and well shaded with trees, and ornamented with shrubbery and flowers. Neat white slabs, handsome tombs and towering monuments show the affection of surviving friends for their loved and lost ones. The first person buried there was Mrs. Phaups, in 1837 ; a large stone slab stands at the head of her grace, which is to the left of the entrance to the "old part" of the grounds. Probably nearly three thousand persons have been buried there since then.
Strolling through the numerous walks, one may notice the graves of many noted people once eminent in the history of Hopkinsville: Fidelio Sharp and Rufus Lansden, two prominent lawyers ; Judge A. D. Rodgers ; Reuben Rowland, long Cashier of the old Bank of Kentucky; John Bryant, Zachariah Glass, Thomas P. Clark, John Phaup, Isaac Landes, Gen. Daniel Hayes, Archibald Gant, John Buckner. James Moore, Judges Benjamin Shackelford and Rezin Davidge, Dr. Felix G. Montgomery, Abram Stites, for more than a quarter of a century County Clerk ; Maj. John 1'. Campbell, for many years President of the Bank of Kentucky, and Gen. James S. Jackson, of whom it was written a few years ago Here sleeps, after a tempestuous life, the intrepid and fearless Gen. James S. Jackson, member of the Legislature and Congressman, whose dauntless spirit, which laughed at danger, even to rashness, took its flight on the bloody field of Perryville. Like Harry Percy. this Hotspur of the Union army waved his sword in the face of death as gayly as though a desperate battle were a dress parade, and the war bugles were sounding the strains of a ballroom." Many others might be named whose finger-marks are still to be seen on every hand.
Within the last few years a large addition has been laid out to this " silent city of the dead," and highly improved, rendering it sufficiently large to last for many years, without again extending its limits. The Hopkinsville Republican of November 10, 1881, said: " A number of handsome monuments of marble and granite, some of them quite costly and elaborate, have been erected, both in the old quarter and in the recent large addition so handsomely laid off by Mr. Grove, of Louisville. Roses of the finest varieties bloom luxuriantly all through the seasons, and purple-fringed wild flowers blend their solemn beauty with the hectic flush and autumnal gold of the sumac and maples. Vigorous growths of white pines, dark firs and funereal cypress afford a snug shelter for the numerous thrushes, mocking-birds and red-birds which delight to build their nests in the thickly matted boughs, and pour forth their early morning notes, wrapped in their own little dreams of joy, and unconscious of the aching hearts and human sorrow whose pale emblems glimmer around them."
During the late war -Mr. Louis Elb, aided by the generosity of Mr. Wolf, of Louisville, once a merchant of this place, bought a lot for the Jews where the dead have since been buried. It is in the rear of the Sharp homestead, in the cedar grove near the Nashville road, and some years since was inclosed by order of the City Council. It is a very handsome little burying-ground.
The colored people also have a cemetery. This is situated just beyond the fair grounds; and is known as Union Benevolent Cemetery. It contains a number of handsome stones and slabs, and is kept in good order and taste.-Perrin.
RETURN TO PERRIN'S INDEX PAGE