Saint John United Methodist Church
Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church
Salem Baptist Church
Salubria Methodist Episcopal Church South
Second Baptist
Seventh Day Adventist
Sharon Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Shiloh Baptist Church
Shiloh United Methodist Church
Sinking Fork Baptist
Sinking Fork Christian Church
South Union Baptist

Saint John United Methodist Church began in a dwelling house at 2802 South Virginia Street, June 6, 1954. Almost 200 people attended the first meeting, representing Methodist Churches throughout the Hopkinsville District. The Church

was organized under the direction of Dr. John Baggett, Superintendent of the Hopkinsville District. The first church school and worship service was held June 13, 1954, with an attendance of 40 people. A goal of 50 members was set before the Church would be formally organized. By September 5, 51 members had been received. The charter was given under the seal of Bishop William T. Watkins, resident bishop of the Louisville Conference, At the close of its first year, the membership was 91. The present membership is 678.
The present structure was completed on April 15, 1956. The first service in the new sanctuary was on January 28, 1979. The congregation hopes to continue in the attitude, hope, and vision of the charter members as all set about to make Saint John a “growing church” in a growing community with warmth of’ friendliness for all who worship here. The Pastors having served this church are as follows:
Charles Rogers 1954, William Wilson 1954 - 1955, Gerald Trigg 1957 - 1957, James Thurmond 1957 - 1959, Samuel Willis 1959 - 1961, Paul Keneipp 1961 - 1970, Douglas Wilson 1970 - 1972, William Price 1972 - 1976, William Strickland 1976 - 1977, William Stratton 1977 - 1981, Donald Rankin 1981 -

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew


The earliest traces of Catholism in Hopkinsville and Christian County can be traced back to 1807 when Rev. Stephen T. Badin, the first Roman Catholic priest to be ordained in the United States, visited the Hopkinsville Community as a missionary. During the early 1800’s the practice of Catholism was primarily confined to religious services in the homes of the few Catholic families.
As the number of Catholics in the Hopkinsville Community grew, there evolved the need for a church to be built. Under the pastoral guidance of Rev. Thomas J. Jenkins, a small frame church was constructed on Nashville Street (on the site next to the present church). The Church was named Saints Peter and Paul, for its patrons St. Peter, the Prince of the Apostles, and St. Paul, the Apostle of the Gentiles. The church was originally part of the Diocese of Louisville.
In 1878, the growth of the Church is evidenced by its transition to an independent parish with a full time resident pastor, Rev. Charles Haesley. Father Haeseley built the first rectory in 1879 for the parish. It was later razed and the present rectory was constructed between 1928 - 1930.
Father Thomas J. Hayes, pastor from 1881 to 1883 was particularly noted for holding the first mission in the area, which was well attended by Catholics and Protestants. Subsequent missions were also held in 1900, 1902, 1911, 1929, and 1933.
In 1925 Rev. James H. Willett was appointed pastor and he immediately began his campaign to construct a new and larger church. As a result of many successful fund raising projects from the parishioners, the new church was completed in November of 1927 and it was completely paid for when erected.
In 1937 the Diocese of Owensboro was created from the Diocese of Louisville under the leadership of Rev. Francis R. Cotton, Bishop. The Church has remained a part of the Diocese of Owensboro since then.
Rev. George Boehmicke served as pastor from 1943 to 1954 and is especially remembered for his contribution in the area of parochial education. Under the direction of Father Boehmicke, the first Catholic School at Saints Peter and Paul was opened in 1947 in a frame dwelling at 810 East 9th Street and served as a combined school and convent. In 1952, as the school’s enrollment increased, a new brick school building was constructed at its present site at 904 East 9th Street. The school enjoyed many successful years of operation and in 1967 the seventh and eighth grades were phased out due to lack of space. Unfortunately, in 1970, the school was forced to close its doors due to a shortage of teachers; the school had primarily been served by the Sisters of the Dominican Order. The school was able to re-open in 1976 for grades one through six with the use of lay teachers. The kindergarten was added in 1981 and the pre-school was organized in 1983.
In 1966, under the leadership of Father Carl Glahn, the church was renovated to accomodate a larger parish as well as to add many more modem facilities and additional parking facilities. At this time, the two side altars were removed from the church, but the main altar was preserved for the Blessed Sacrament and a new altar was added for the Sacrifice of the Mass.
Under the direction of Father Stephen Dunn, a building fund campaign was initiated to fund the construction of a multi-purpose Parish Hall. Located directly behind the church, the Parish Hall was dedicated in February of 1981. The Parish Hall is composed of a gymnasium, kitchen, and classrooms that serve many needs of the Parish and Community including the Pre-School, C.C.D. Program, Bible School, and various educational and religious meetings and activities.

The present pastor at Saints Peter and Paul Church is Rev. Francis Mastrovito, T.O.R. who began serving the Parish in June 1983.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Salem Baptist Church

    On Thursday, February 15, 1827, members who had been dismissed from Bethel Church called upon Bethel, Mt. Zion, and Spring Creek (Tennessee) churches to aid them in organizing a Baptist Church. In the Benjamin Radford home, the church was organized Wednesday, March 7, 1827. Bethel Church was represented by James Ray, John Pendleton and Mills Tandy; Mt. Zion by Elder Robert Rutherford; and Spring Creek by Elder Reuben Ross. An early church history says: “Brethren Ranson Tinsley and Whitfield Killebrew, agreeable to our request, met us. Elders John S. Wilson, William C. Warfield, and others were incited to sit with them.” Elder Reuben Ross preached, the Covenant and Articles of Faith were examined. Then the band announced that it was “the Church of the Lord Jesus Christ”. A song was sung and the right hand of fellowship was given.
    John B. Radford was chosen clerk and T. W. Coleman selected deacon. Elders Robert Rutherford and Isaiah Boone were invited to preach which they agreed to do. Charter members also included: Rebecca Radford, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin B. Radford, Mr. and Mrs. Issac Garrott, Mr. and Mrs. William T. Major and Edward Bradshaw. New members soon added included John C. Carver, Issac Palmer, Sarah Radford and Francis Radford. By the end of September, 1827, membership totaled seventeen. The first person taken under watch care of the church was a slave, Liverpool, “who had left Henderson City without an opportunity to get a letter”.
    A small church was immediately built on a two acre site donated by Edward Bradshaw.
Great pains were taken to correspond with Bethel, Mt. Zion, and Spring Creek, and other churches. Almost every year some member of this church was appointed to attend protracted meetings at these churches.
    Friction over Campbell began January 1, 1831, when William T. Major’s motion ‘to observe the Lord’s Supper at every coming together on the Lord’s Day”, instead of the established quarterly observance, was defeated. In February, because some of the members accepted in whole, or in part, the teaching of Alexander Campbell, by unanimous vote, the church divided. The Baptist majority kept the “Church Book’ and “Church Name”. Building several miles southwest of the Salem site “Cambellites" established Euregisia Church. Bro. F. N. Palmer was appointed clerk of the Salem group, each of whom was required to put his name on the new list, indicating his desire to remain a member of Salem. Bro. William Warfield was pastor at this time and, along with Thomas Watts, continued in this capacity until 1835.
    The first collection for educational purposes was in September 1835 when $650 was contributed for the education of young Baptist preachers.
    In December, 1836, Bro. Chilton was invited to continue as pastor and Bro. Nixon was invited to preach every third Sabbath. At this time, a committee was appointed to raise money to pay the preachers—this is the first mention made of the pastor’s salary in any of the early records.
    Records show that “at nearly every coming together for twenty years after its organization there were additions to the church by baptism”. One of its greatest revivals was held in 1851 with about fifty being baptized into the fellowship of the church.
    In 1852, the old church building was sold to L. L. Leavell for $135.00. Issac Garrott at that time deeded to the church the land where the present church stands, a two acre tract directly north of and adjoining the original Bradshaw two acres. The deed, as did the Bradshaw deed, contains the restriction ‘in so long as it is used for a Missionary Baptist Church”. The new building contained a slave balcony which was removed in 1905. However, the scars could be seen until the 1959 residing of the building.
    Following the Emancipation Proclamation, Salem dismissed its colored members who had left home without consent or without having obtained a letter. In 1858 a committee was appointed to grant letters to all colored members, past and present, who applied for them.
    During the early days, members were strictly disciplined. Sabbath breaking gambling, drunkenness, dancing, playing cards for amusement, non attendance at church, non fellowship and various other things often could result in members being excluded. In December, 1853, four members were excluded for not attending church. Resolutions against these things were passed in 1858 and 1873, but by March 1975 they were repealed and dancing and card playing were left as a matter of conscience.
    In 1873 the “Sunday School and Singing Class’ was given permission to put a much needed organ in the church. Around 1890 the baptistry was installed and Edna Radford Cross was the first person to be baptized there.
    On March 15, 1883, Robert W. Garrott and his wife deeded a one acre plot to Salem Church as a site for the parsonage. Construction of the house began immediately. This parsonage is still being used and has had various improvements.
    New Sunday School rooms were added at the rear ot the church in 1955. During 1972, an addition containing three Sunday School classrooms and a basement recreation room was added.
    The Ladies Aid Society of Salem was organized September 12, 1900. Its chief aim was to pay off the church debts, seemingly a large portion of which was back salary owed the former pastor, Bro. John S. Cheek. First efforts at raising funds included sewing, candy pulls and musicals. In 1901 this Ladies Aid Society became the Missionary Society.
    Shandy A. Holland and F. C. Plasters were licensed in 1847 to preach the gospel. Other young men later ordained by Salem were E. H. Garrott, E. P. J. Garrott, W. B. Wooden Logan B. English and James Price. Mrs. Francis Peay Leavell, a longtime missionary to China, was a member of Salem and Miss Olive Edens, missionary to Africa was a member of Salem when she went to the mission field in 1917.
    Some of the earliest of the church records have been lost but from existing records the following list of Salem’s pastors is hence furnished:

Robert Rutherfore
& Isaiah Boone
1827-1830 John W. T. Givens 1900-1904
William C. Warfield
& Thomas Watts
l83l-1835 P. G. Grant 
Thomas Chilton, Jr 1836-1837 R. L Baker  1906-1907
Robert Rutherfore 1837-1841 Elijah W. Coakley 1908-1909
Reuben Ross  1841- S. N. Hurst 1910-1911
R. T. Anderson Records Lost L B. English  1911-1914
A. D. Sears Records Lost E. L. Edens 191 5-1918
A. B. Knight 1852 J. H. Broom 1919-1921
J. M. Bennett 1853-1859 W. C. Harrell  1921 -1929
A. B. Smith 1860-1861 C. A. Ladd  1930-1938
Elisha Vaughn
S. A. Holland, Asst.
1862-1863  Reed Rushing 1938-1942
A. W. Larue  1863-1864 Edward C. Woodall l942-1950
George Hunt 1864-1867 Earl Mitchell  1951-1953
W. B. Walker 1867-1872 C. Homer Robinson  1953-1955
G. B. Bagby 1872-1876 Jack Sanford  1955-1957
J. F. Hardwick 1877-1880 Don Wright  1957-1958
S. P. Forgy 1880-1890 T. C. Meader 1958-1960
J. M. Joiner 1891 -1895 James 0. Green  1961-1963
John S. Cheek 1895-1900 Duncan J. Smith 1963-1966
James Williams 1966-1967
Ray Gilliland 1969-1971
Duncan J. Smith 1971-

Salubria Methodist Episcopal Church South

Salubria Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized at at very early day in Dr. Peyton Harrison's house.  This was before the building of the schoolhouse on the Finley place, in which afterward they, in common with the other denominations, worshiped through the summer seasons.  In the winter they would return to Dr. Harrison's more comfortable residence and hold their regular meetings.  The church as first organized consisted of the following members:  Dr. Peyton Harrison, local preacher, Mrs. Dr. Peyton Harrison, James Cosley, an old bachelor, Mrs. John Lander, Joseph Williams, and a daughter, Mrs. Cobb, George Stevens, local preacher, Mrs. George Stevens, Mrs. Louisa Coleman, Mrs. A. Watson, Mrs. Patsey Kenner and Miss Sarah E. Lander, afterward Mrs. William Payne.

After worshiping in the schoolhouse as above mentioned for several years, Dr. Harrison gave them an eligible lot, and on it they soon had erected a very comfortable house of worship.  The building is a large frame, 40 X 50 feet, surrounded by a grove of noble oaks, and still stands a monument to the liberality of  Dr. Harrison and a few others.  The present membership numbers between 90 and 100.  The present Superintendent of Sunday School, which holds its sessions through the summer months only, is William McRae.  The present pastor of the church is Rev. Vol P. Thomas.

*History Of Christian County, Perrin 1884

Second Baptist Church

    During the years 1905 to 1908, while Dr. Millard A. Jenkins was pastor of the First Baptist Church, there was much discussion as to the advisability of organizing another Baptist Church to be located in the western part of the city of Hopkinsville. With this in view, a Sunday School was started on the West Side with, probably, Mr. Frank Boyd as the first superintendent.
    According to an article written by Bro. T. 0. Cottrell in the September, 1921, issue of The Sunday School Builder: It was deemed wise to organize the Second Church to conserve the results of the Sunday School work.” Bro. Cottrell, pastor of Second Baptist Church from 1918-1925, also cited the fact that the field was open for a second Baptist church in Hopkinsville because all other churches were located east of Little River except for one “anti-organ’ Church of Christ’ “ on the West Side.
    After adopting the Articles of Faith in Pendleton’s Manual with only a few amendments reflecting somewhat of a conservative stand, the church was officially organized on April 3, 1910, with a membership of thirty-three. The only living charter member is Bro. Arthur N. Anderson who has been of unlimited help in writing this short history. The came Second Baptist Church was chosen because it was, indeed, the second Baptist church in Hopkinsville.
    This organization took place in what was then the Union Tabernacle. Services were first held in what is now known as the Nat Owen Apartment on West 7th Street. For some time after this, services were held in a tent.
    Rev. E. J. Weller, Assistant Pastor of First Baptist, was the first pastor of the new church. In the center of the church field being served, the mother church bought a choice corner lot and constructed a Sunday School building on the rear of the lot so that an auditorium could be added later in front.
    Being mission minded in giving and teaching, individual members designated offerings for missions. In 1919, the Sunday School attendance was running well over two hundred in a facility which according to standard requirements was for only a hundred and forty-three; and a movement had been set in motion to erect a new building. However, their deep feelings for and support of missions came first. Bro. E. 0. Cottrell's afore mentioned article says: ‘The financial canvass was well under way when the ‘75 Million Campaign’ was launched (a Southern Baptist Convention project). The church faced the question of going ahead with the much needed building and standing aloof from the campaign or of side tracking the building effort and going whole heartily into the campaign - We were given an apportionment of $10,000.00 which was very large for a mission church with a building undertaking before them But without a protest, or a murmur, we organized at once for the campaign and carried out the full program and went gloriously over with $12,000 pledged”.
    After taking time out from the building plans to help in the 75 Million Campaign’, the church turned to the Home Mission Board for help and were given $5,000.00 toward the erection of the present auditorium which was completed in 1922 at a total cost of S28,000. Among the most prized possessions is antique pulpit furniture which was purchased n 1842 by the First Baptist Church for use in their building located at the corner of 11th and Main and which was presented ny the “mother church” upon the completion of this structure.
    Early budgets were drawn up after the membership was canvassed and pledges were taken. The first financial statements show “general collection” and ‘membership collection”. Records were kept and, if members did not give their pledge, they were reminded of this failure; a practice that continued until the 1940’s at which time it was discontinued much to the dismay of a few who thought the church would be financially ruined. For a short while before this, the church had been in dire circumstances financially; but soon thereafter Cooperative program gifts were at a eve! of 25% with 10% designated for Christian Education.
    According to the church treasurer’s yearly report for 1910, total offerings were $249.54 with $69.80 designated for missions. The pastor had been paid $225.00 and, after incidential expenses, the church faced 1911 with a balance on hand of only $5.23. During the first few years a portion of the pastor’s salary was paid by the District Association. As the church became more able to meet its financial obligations, this practice was gradually phased out.
    Offices and education space were added in 1952. A separate three-story education building was added in 1959 and, a new auditorium was completed in 1974 with a seating capacity of 1,200. The West Side School property was purchased in January of 1973.  It is now the Second Baptist Church Activities Building.  It is presently being used for Wednesday night suppers, youth Sunday school classes,  recreational activities, etc.
    In February 1983, Pennyrile Baptist Mission was organized on Means Avenue.  The church changed the name of Pennyrile Baptist Mission to Means Avenue Baptist Church in September 1994 and became independent three years later in September 1997.
    Second Baptist Church faces new challenges to insure that it will continue to be relevant in a changing world and remain a beacon of light to the community and the world.

Pastors and dates of tenure are as follows:

W. E. Weller April 3, 1910 - December 30, 1912
W. R. Goodman January 1, 1913 - November 30, 1918
E. O. Cottrell December 1, 1918 - June 30, 1925
R. L. Brandenburg September 2, 1925 - February 28, 1930
L. E. Martin April 2, 1930 - January 13, 1946
J. H. Maddox February 15, 1946 - January 31, 1965
Marion T. Duncan March 10, 1965 - December 6, 1970
John R. Christian April 25, 1971 - June 30, 1987
Kent Workman  January 27, 1988 - November 24, 1996
Dan Ferguson  September 2, 1997 - Present

Ministers ordained by Second Baptist Church are as follows:

Clyde Aldridge Larry Huntley J. T. Spurlin
Paul Hale J. H. Maddox, Jr. Richard Tapscott
Desmond R. Hargis Wayne McCorkle Harold Waitman
Owen Herndon Bob R. McGhee Lonnie Walker
Norris Hite

(*Thanks to Jeannie Lancaster for the Second Baptist Church update which took us from 1973 - 2001)

Photo of Second Baptist Church
Women's Sunday School
Class of 1915
Submitted by Sally O'Daniel Boswell

The Seventh-Day Adventist Church organized a congregation in Hopkinsville on August 25, 1955, in the Maddox home on South Virginia. Of the 10 charter members, five are reportedly still living: Josephine Hudgens Caulderella, Flavil Drury, Chester Maurice Maddox, Sr., Camille Maddox Lewis, and Katherine Moore. In May 1956, the membership began construction on a church building at Canton Pike and Wooldridge, used continuously until 1985 when sold.
Pastors: Henry & Josephine Wilmot, Clarence & Violet Wolf, Elden & Esther Chalmers, Melvin & Mavis Jones, Fred & Joyce Williams, Henry & Ann Fowler, L.A. & Ethel Watson, Phil & Donna Huber, Fred & Linda Rogers, Jim & Corinne Ferguson, Robert & Judy McMillan, Jim & Jan
Pastor McConnell has led the membership in constructing their new church building at 530 Pyle Lane. Members are meeting in the building, while its completion is scheduled for late this year. The local church operates a day school for its elementary-age students.
Seventh-day Adventists are a Christian denomination, teaching the soon return of Christ and the seventh-day Sabbath as Jesus Himself observed. The Church operates dozens of hospitals worldwide, the largest private school network, and several radio and TV programs, as well as disaster relief. The Church is also well-known for its Revelation Seminars and 5-Day Plans to Stop Smoking.
Worship and study services on Sabbath (Saturday) mornings. Visitors always welcome.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Origin: Founded around 1851. Building constructed shortly thereafter with brick made in kiln near site. Services have been held there continuously ever since it opened. Adam Titterington gave the acre lot on which church was constructed.
Location: Three and half miles south of Herndon, Ky. on the right going south where Highway 287 enters Highway 107.
Charter Members were: Buchanans, Fergusons, O’Donnleys, Coopers, Finlays, and Stevensons.
The First Pastor; Reverand James Frasier; First Sunday School; About 1875; First Sunday School Superintendent; R.S. Caner; First Clerk of the Session; H. C. Cooper; Membership When Organized, Twenty-four: Sunday School rooms added — 1957, Sanctuary remodeled — 1962, gas heat and air conditioning — 1973, water and rest room — 1976, First Memory plaque hung — 1977, Erection of
church steeple and lighting — 1983.
The First Full Time Services — 1976 were held by Michael Scales. Landmark Certificate Received — 1978, Youth Fellowship Organized — 1981
Information as of 1986: Pastor — Reverand J.C. Womack, Clerk of Session — Yvette Smithson, Sunday School Superintendent — Freddie Sowell, and Church Pianist — Laura K. Robertson She has served as church pianist at Sharon for 55 years. Present Membership — 85.
For many years there was a partition down the middle aisle. The women sat on the right and the men on the left. Custom gradually changed that practice, along with many others; but the purpose for which Sharon was founded is still the same.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Shiloh Baptist Church

    Shiloh Baptist Church was organized in 1934 by a dedicated young evangelist named W. L. Showers. As he traveled through northeast Christian County conducting revivals, he saw the need of a church in that area. As there are no records available prior to 1961, no details concerning the organization can be given.
    Then, however, it was known as Shiloh Independent Temple and remained so until 1961, at which time it became Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church and joined the Christian County Baptist Association.
One of the few facts we do know concerning the early days is that the property was given by Mr. Hershel Fears.
    A highlight for the church was the fall Revival of 1972. Bro. Showers returned for that meeting and the spirit of the Lord was unleashed anew. Due to the absence of records only a partial list of pastors can be given:

Raymond Deason 1962-1963 Elmer Morris 1970
Raymond Harris 1964-1968, 1969 Terry Hansen 1971-

The Shiloh United Methodist Church started approximately 1800 when Christian Circuit was formed. The congregation met at different homes and schools. Harris, Long, Hopson, Gilmore, Coons, Workmans, Sheridan School and the Bridge. Later on there were two small Methodist Churches built. In approximately 1810 Pleasant Grove (made of logs) was built 8 miles northwest of Hopkinsville. In approximately 1838, Pisgah was built eight miles west of Hopkinsville, south of the Princeton Road. Both congregations became small. They consolidated in 1850 to form Shiloh which was located on the then known Shiloh Lane (later Everett’s Lane) on a plot of land given by Judge C. A. McCarroll. In 1878, it was decided to move again to its present day location approximately 8 miles west of Hopkinsville on U.S. 68 West, just east of Smoot’s Bridge. The land on the bank of Sinking Fork Creek was given by Frank Buckner Campbell.

Some of Shiloh’s Charter Members were: Hopsons, Susan Stevens (widow of Rev. George Stevens), Iverson Boyds, C. A. McCarroll, David Boyds, Ricketts, Summers, and the James J. Smiths.
In 1941, the wooden structure became in need of repairs and the Stewards and Trustees met and voted to tear down the wooden structure and build a stone structure.
They began to tear the old church down on Feb. 13, 1941, and five months later, on July 13, 1941, the first service was held in the lovely stone structure.
During the reconstruction, the congregation met at Gracey Baptist Church upon invitation of the good Baptists of Gracey.
The Church was built by the community, led by Rev. L. F. Southern and one parttime carpenter, Mr. Bailey Grigsby, of Trigg County.
This history was compiled by George L. Smith, a great grandson of James J. Smith, one of Shuloh’s charter members.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Sinking Fork Baptist Church (Brick Church)

    This History of Sinking Fork Church” was written by Rev. Marvin W. Hall, Pastor of this Church from January 1930 to 1937. It is complete, well written and informative and I can see no reason for doing more than use it in its entirety, adding only a small portion to bring it up-to-date.
    "The Sinking Fork Baptist Church located on the Princeton Road, five miles Northwest of Hopkinsville is one of the early churches of the County. Is was constituted in 1849, but the records of its earliest history are unfortunately not available. The list of charter members cannot be given, but many of them spent their lives in the Church and helped make it one of the flourishing churches of the old Bethel Association.
    “The church records from 1874 to the present time are in hand, and are used in the preparation of this brief history. It is known that Rev. James U. Spurlin who was ordained as a minister by Pleasant Hill Church a few years before, had much to do with constituting the church and was its first pastor and filled that position all of the time until 1874, when the official records begin, and continued until his voluntary retirement is 1881.
    “During his long pastorate, the church built a substantial brick house of worship that in time become known as the “Brick Church”. Its official name, derived from its location near the Sinking Fork of Little River, of course, was unchanged. Like most of the country churches at that period, services were held only one Sunday in each month, which enabled the same pastor to serve several different churches. While he was the pastor of other churches, Bro. Spurlin held his membership in the church he loved, and he lived to see it ordain one of his sons into the ministry, and later a grandson took up the work and has preached in many of the pulpits filled by the old soldier of the Cross, who has long since gone to his reward.
    “From the best information obtainable, the list of pastors who have served the church for 85 years is here given. The dates may not be strictly accurate in all cases and there were periods of varying length when the church did not hare a pastor and was served by temporary supplies. The list follows:

James  U. Spurlin  1849 to 1881 E. W. Moss Jan. 1814 to Dec. 1915
A. W. Meacham  1881 to 1882 J. T. Cunningham Jan. 1835 to Jan. 1916
No Pastor  Feb. 1882  to Mar. 1883 F. M. Wilson Jan. 1916 to Mar. 1920
A. C. Dorris  1883 to 1885
 E. O. Cottrell 
Mar. 1920 to Dec. 1922
J. U. Spurlin 1885 to 1889 E. R. Noel  Dec. 1922 to Jan. 1926
A. C. Dorris April 1889 to June 1890 Guy P. Hall Jan. 1926 to Jan. 1927
J. U. Spurlin July 1880 to Jan  1883 Kiedell Thomas  Jan. 1927 to Jan. 1928
J. W. Boyd Jan. 1883 to Jan. 1884  J. J. Thomas  Jan. 1928 to Jan. 1930
F. W. Whittenbaker 1884 to Jan. 1889 Marvin W. Hall   Jan, 1930 to Jan. 1935
U. A. Ransom 1888 to Jan. 1882 J. J. Jenkins  Jan. 1935 to Jan. 1938
F. W. Whitenbaker 1892 to Dec. 1908  W. W. Johnson  Jan. 1938 to Dec. 1943
O. L. Weir Dec. 1906 to Sept. 1907 John R. Christian  Jan. 1944 to Oct. 1947
J. C. Cleavenger Jan. 1888 to Mar. 1813 John A. Ivey Jun 1948 to July 10, 1949
(Note:  Fifty years after his resignation, John R. Christian is preaching again  at Sinking Fork Baptist Church (2000) after retiring from Second Baptist Church)
“This list contains the names of 21 Pastors, several having served more  than one term.
‘The names of the church clerks serving during the same period herewith appended.
“No record up to 1874
John C. Jones   1874 to 1879
S. A. Miller  a part of 1879
J. C. Diuguid  a part of 1879
J. W. Torian May 1880 to Mar. 1884
J. L. McGee  1884 to 1388
J. M. Ramsey  1888 to 1891 -
L. J. Harris  1891 to 1894
M. T. Spurlin   1901 to 1902
Hattie E. Wood   1902 to 1908  ‘This, the first lady Clerk made a most efficient officer and   was succeeded by Hattie E. Cornelius, probably the same clerk under a different name. (Note: This is correct, Cornelius was her married name)
L. B. Arvin  1909 to 1911
Avice Hill   1911 to 1915
Samuel E. Miller 1915 to 1918
Raleigh Underwood  1918 to 1934
Jewell Hill  1934 to 1938
Lermond 0. Underwood 1938 to present time (1949)
    ‘This record is incomplete, and its correctness cannot be vouched for, but it is at least a good partial list of those who served the church as the years have passed.
    Like most country churches it has been the custom of this church to hold revivals from time to time. In 1884, while Rev. A. C. Dorris was pastor a revival brought in 20 new members. In September 1889, six were added and in 1890 eight more. About this time the first steps were taken to build a new church and through the efforts of J. H. Murphy $170.00 was reported as a nucleus of the funds required. It was a long and hard fight but after patience and perseverance success was attained. In the early years of the century, there was a period of depression and low prices for farm products that interfered with the work, but in October 1912 the new building was occupied and dedicated, the sermon of the occasion being delivered by Rev. W. D. Powell, of Louisville. Rev. J. C. Cleavenger was the pastor who first preached in the handsome new house of worship.
    “In a sketch of this kind we should have a list of the first members, but, as explained, this could not be secured. I have, however, compiled what seems to be a list of the membership in 1874, which no doubt contained many of those who helped to organize the church 25 years before. The names have been arranged to appear alphabetically, though it was not an easy task:


Taylor Boyd
F. H. Caperon
Frank Caperon
John Caperon
Tommie Caperon
Wiley Caperon
Alex Davenport
Willie Diuguid
Geo. Diuguid
Jas. Diuguid
Washington Diuguid
Geo. E. Gates
Jas. Gresham
Robt. Graves
R. B. Hall
S. T. Hill
Walter Hill

Thos. Hill
W. W. Hill
Matt Hill
I. C. Jones
S. A. Miller
Miles Miller
Wila Moore
J. H. Murphy
W. D. Murphy
J. L. McGee
T. T. Owen
W. J. Owen
T. A. Owen
Jas. Owen
Robt. E. Owen
Walter Owen


John Payne
Sam Payne
John Pyle
G. R. Quisenberry
J. C. Renshaw
J. U. Spurlin
Lucien Spurlin
M. T. Spurlin
Jos. Ward
G. H. Wood
Henry Wood
Leander Wood
Willis Wood
W. F. Wood
Tommy Wright



Isabella Adell
Susan Beam
Helen Boyd
Wilmoth Brummet
Alice Boyd
Nan Caperon
H. Caperon
Susie Caperon
Susie Diuguid
Maggie Davenport
Lucy Everett
Verda Everett
Josephine Everett
Mary B. Gates
Mattie Gresham
S. E. Hill
Nora Hill
Mollie Hill

Annie Hill
Sudie Hill
Alice Kennedy
Ella Kennedy
Elizabeth Kennedy
Dora Kennedy
S. B. McClendon
M. T. McGee
Maggie Nichols
Elizabeth Owen
Bettie Owen
Lula Owen
Mary J. Owen
Virnie Owen
Bobbie Owen 
Sallie Owen 
Jane Pyle 
 Josephine Pyle 

Total 52

 Ada Quisenberry 
 P. J. Quisenberry 
 Martha Renshaw 
 Mattie Renshaw
 M. J. Spurlin 
 Emma Spurlin 
 M. Simpson 
Fannie Torian
A. E. Williamson
Allie Wood
Lelia Wood
Mary Wood
Sally Wood
Edna Wood
Eunice Wood
Fannie Wood
Hattie Wright

    "The church at that time seemed to have 102 members. Another count in 1888 showed a total of 52 males and 83 females, a total of 135."
    We especially want to give credit to this church for having among its members through the years, a number of men who became ministers of the Gospel. J. U. Spurlin, grandfather and J. H. Spurlin, uncle of L. L. Spurlin so well known to all of us, These having been mentioned earlier in Ibis sketch. Also the son of L. L. Spurlin, J. T. Spurlin who for three years was Pastor of the First Baptist Church at Juneau, Alaska, which he organized. He was the first Missionary Baptist preacher in Alaska and the first President of the first Baptist State Convention in Alaska, which became and now is a member of the Southern Baptist Convention.
    We also call attention to James T. Cravens who was ordained and licensed as a minister from this church in 1947.
    The present (1949) Board of Deacons of Sinking Fork Baptist Church are:

J. F. Murphy Lermond O. Underwood
Lawrence M. Owen Olen West
Lucian A. Hill Arvil Poindexter
Raleigh Underwood

      We also call attention to the fact that there have been two women who have served as Supt. of Associational W.M.U. work in this Church, Mrs. W. T. Turner and Mrs. Raleigh Underwood, Mrs. Underwood being the present Superintendent.
    Sinking Fork Baptist Church may well be proud of its record having served the community in which it is located faithfully and well. May it continue to do so as the years pass! And may its influence for good never cease.
                                                Prepared By F. H. Mason, Historian (1949)

The Sinking Fork Christian Church has had an illustrious history and a very colorful past. As we go back to the beginning, we find its inception came as a result of several “protracted meetings” held locally, one of which was held by an evangelist in a new tobacco barn just completed on the Cavanaugh Farm in 1893.
In 1894, ‘95, or ‘96, the first wooden-structured building was erected. Many of the members who were carpenters gave of their time to work. This structure was sold to, and torn down by Otis Joiner, when the present building was completed. Tom H. Moore was the first minister.
In August, 1950, work was begun on the new building, a sanctuary with full basement. Mr. Charles and Carl Aldridge were supervisors of construction with other men giving freely of their time to help. The first service was held in this new stone structure September 9, 1951.
The new educational facilities had been the dream of the congregation for some time. The “ground-breaking service” was held in July, 1957, with Mr. Dennis Hill and Mr. Otis Joiner turning the first spades of dirt.
In September of 1984, the parsonage was completed.
Elders — Dennis Hill, Henry Vier, Douglas Mosely, George Gresham, Richard Shepherd.
January, 1986 — Deacons — Douglas Sizemore, Jerry Gresham, Manual Oliver, Robed Allen, Tommy Wilson, Ronnie Hayes, Don Smith, Steven Hill, Men Gresham, Ed Dowdy (present Chairman of the Board).
The present minister being Bro. John Frazier with a membership of 145.

South Union Baptist Church

    In the old Elk Water Schoolhouse one mile from Church Hill, South Union Baptist Church was organized between 1846-1847 with Robert Anderson as the first pastor.
The original membership included Mr. & Mrs. William Means, Young J. Means, A. Grisham and wife, Gano Henry, Johnson Radford, and Mrs. Cornelia V. Henry.
    By 1879, South Union Church had fifty-five active members and soon, September, 1883, the church collected funds for an organ.
    Due principally to the generosity of R. W. Henry, Gano Henry, Johnson Radford, who donated the ground and a few others, a comfortable frame building, 40 X 50 feet was erected in 1889 at the cost ot $1,116, all suitable materials from the old church were used. In April, 1897, the contract was let for two rooms and a baptistry.
    South Union and Locust Grove jointly purchased a parsonage on Virginia Street in Hopkinsville in 1906 at the cost of $2700.00. The church voted to buy Locust Grove’s half interest in the parsonage for $1600.00 in April. 1918.
    In May, 1918, the church voted to have full time services; and the pastor’s salary was raised to $400 per year.
    Rev. H. E. Gabby, who had been called in April, 1911 resigned in April 1921.
    During the next ten years, there were four pastors. W. J. Banks, E. B. English, L. E. Martin, and Marvin Hall.
There were eleven additions during a revival held in August, 1933. Bro. Marvin Hall delivered the messages. There are no records from 1934-1949.
    The church sold their parsonage for $9834.00 to Miss Katherin Pedin on September 2, 1951. On May 3, 1953, the church voted to build a parsonage on the church grounds. The cost was $8,700.
    On May 5, 1955, the church voted to go on a budget plan: 10% incidentials, 15% missions and 75% pastor’s salary.
    The church licensed Bro. Arrice Taylor to preach on April 10, 1957. He was ordained on August 16, 1959.
    Additional Sunday School rooms were built in 1955 and a vestibule in 1967.
    Bro. Mark Lowry supplied from April 8, 1970 until Bro. James Ashby was called as pastor on August 9, 1970. Bro. Ashby is the present pastor.

Pastors since 1923:

E. B. English  1923-1926  J. J. Jenkins  1945-1954
L E.  Martin 1927-1929, 1930 Nacy Sanders 1935-1960
Marvin W. Hall 1931-1934  Don Champion  1961-1962
W. E. Powell 1935-1938 Lonnie Walker  1963-1965
L. E.  Martin 1939-1944 Raymond Baker 1966-1969
James Ashby 1970-

All rights reserved.

Return to Christian County Index