Palestine Baptist Church
Pee Dee Methodist Church
Pembroke Baptist Church
Pembroke Christian Church
Pembroke United Methodist Church
Pleasant Green United Methodist Church
Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church 
Pleasant Grove Baptist Church
Pleasant Hill Baptist Church
Pleasant View Baptist Church
Rock Spring Christian Church

Palestine Baptist Church

Palestine Baptist Church had its historic beginning when the people around the old Boyd schoolhouse felt the need “to worship and to religiously educate their children.” They began to hold services in the schoolhouse in 1894. Feeling the need of a permanent place of worship, Walter Boyd donated land on which to construct a church building. Mr. Frank Fuller was the leader in the building of the church.
There have been two buildings an this site destroyed by fire. Records from the beginning until 1925 were burned. The information covering that period is sketchy. J. H. Clevenger; a Rev. Duncan from the Seminary; L. L Spurlin; J. H. Maddox, who surrendered to preach and was ordained by the church; J. T. Spurlin; and a Rev. Hammock served as pastors. Offerings were as much as forty-five to fifty cents.
West Palestine met in the old Woodman of the World Lodge located next to Harmony Grove Cemetery just off the Bash Road. Harold Lyons, Willis Stewart, and J. J. Thomas served as pastors.
The story concerning the burning of Old Palestine is very interesting. It seems that a fire started on the roof Some of the men went to a home near-by and returned with a tub of water. Just as they got to the churchyard, a handle broke off and the water spilt on the ground. Instead of going after more water, they decided to just let it burn.
In December 1932, people began to meet in the old Boyd schoolhouse again. In 1939, the members of these two churches merged and bought a building from the Christian Church. This building burned before any services were held. Some rags ignited while they were remodeling and redecorating. The only tangible thing surviving was the name. Following the fire, services were held in a “brush arbor” located on the east side of the Dawson Road on the church grounds. Later, they met in Mr. William McKnight’s barn on the same road. The church was rebuilt and the first addition to the church was completed in February 1956. The church voted in 1957 to buy a house and adjoining property from Bro. Hershel Maddux for a parsonage. A new brick parsonage was completed in 1971.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Pee Dee Methodist Church
Pee Dee (Methodist Episcopal Church South) was built in 1864. It is a large and substantial edifice, 40’ X 50’, frame with lodge-room above, and cost about $3,000. Mr. and Mrs. Pee Dee Smith (from whom the village Pee Dee was named) were very liberal patrons, contributing between them some $1,200 or $1,300. Among the original members were Mr. & Mrs. Pee Dee Smith, W.G. Blane and wife, W.V. Reeves, wife, and daughters, Lewis and Henrietta Reeves, Joseph A. Brewer and wife, Mrs. W.E. Butcher and son William E. Butcher, Jr., John G. Johnson and wife, Mrs. James E. Brewer and son William Brewer, Sidney Merritt and wife, and Mrs. Luttrell. It is a charge of the Lafayette Circuit, and among others has been served by the following named pastors: Revs. William and Robert Alexander, T.J. Randolph, James Petree, WE. King, Gideon Gouch, J. F. Redford, B.A. Cundiff, J.W. Price, J.W. Bingham and B.F. Briggs. J.D. Graddy is the present pastor. The present members are Walter Dawson, Mrs. Ernest A. Binns, Betty Binns Morris, Mrs. Marshall Aidridge, Billy Aidridge, Mrs. John Bacon, Mrs. Lacy Joiner, Sr., Agnes Blane, William Blanc, and Adlai Blane.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Pembroke Baptist Church

    The Baptists of the Pembroke community first worshipped with the people of the Fairview community in a church known as "Old Bethel" and located about two miles from Pembroke on the right hand side of the road going toward Fairview.
As their own community grew, the people of Pembroke desired a church in their own town. Records vary as to the exact date of organization. One account states: “on the fourth Sunday in May, 1884, a presbytery was called consisting of three ministers (Dr. J. M. Peay, Rev. H. P. Lockett, and Dr. J. N. Prestige) organizing fifty-one members into a church to be called Pembroke Baptist Church.” Another date given for the organization is July 3rd, of that year. Whichever date is correct, it seems certain that seventy-nine members at one meeting, and twelve more at another, withdrew from Bethel Church by calling for their letters to build a house of worship at Pembroke.
The names of the charter members of the new church were as follows:

James Richardson Francis A. Garnett Annie W. Murphy
Mattie Richardson Margaret T. Garnett E. G. Barclay
May A. Rust Rosa L. Garnett W. M. Bronaugh
C. R. Reynolds, Sr. R. C Jameson Charles Bronaugh
Fidelia Rawlins  B E. Keener D. A. Bronaugh
J. J. Stewart R. R Lloyd John D. Bronaugh
L Stewart Elizabeth Lloyd Donie E. Bronaugh
B. M. Trabue Annie Lloyd H. C. Bronaugh
James Trice M. G. Miller Jennie P. Bronaugh
Mollie Trice Samantha Owen Lillie Bronaugh
Herbert L. Trice W. F. Morris W. H. Chastaine
S. F. Williams Annie McRae W. W. Garnett
Mary J. Trice Ada Ogburn Trice Rebecca Dudley
Mary T. Williams E. J. Murphy V. A. Garnett
John C. Fruit Catherine S. Poore John P. Garnett
Asenath Fruit Lelia M. Peay Sallie A Garnett
Hattie D. Bronaugh
    James Richardson, S. F Williams, Sr., and John P. Garnett, who were deacons at Bethel, were named the first deacons of Pembroke Baptist Church.
    Even before the new church was organized a committee consisting of: John P. Garnett, Thomas Jameson, and B. L. Leavell, M.D. had been selected to solicit subscriptions for the building of a house of worship. Within a week the amount subscribed had reached $3,000.00. With the erection of the building assured, a committee on location was appointed. W. W. Garnett W M. Bronaugh, and R. C. Jameson selected a lot on the east side of Main Street near the center of town. The lot was purchased from its owner, R. C. Jameson, for $250.00, a sum later given by him toward the construction of the new building.
    Both the original building, (built at a cost of $4,665), and the furnishings (purchased for $565.00) are still in use. A pulpit chair was donated by George O. Thompson, and carpeting was given by the ladies of the church. Other items were purchased as needed including a bell which is still rung before each service.
    During the period of construction, lasting several months, the church met in Miller’s Hall. It was there, on August 2, 1884, that a number of new members were received. Among these was Miss Fannie Garnett, the first member to be received by baptism.
    The first pastor of the Pembroke Baptist Church was Rev. J. M. Peay, who had been pastor of Bethel Church. He was called for half-time, at a salary of $600 a year plus a parsonage purchased from Bethel Church at a cost of $860.00. This house, long since torn down, was on the road to Fairview across from the present water tank.
    A Sunday School which provided for men, ladies, and the younger people was begun in September, 1884, with E. J. Murphy as superintendent.
    On the nineteenth of April, 1885, at the dedication service, the pastor, Rev. J. M. Peay. described the building as “one of the most elegant, tasteful, and comfortable houses of worship and one of the prettiest in this part of the state.’ Dr. T. T. Eaton preached the dedicatory sermon.
    Growth through the years has necessitated the provision of additional space. One in 1910 one in 1949, and the third in 1962, nave greatly enlarged the original structure. A brick pastorium was built next to the church in 1957, replacing the house across the street which had served since 1907 as the pastor’s residence.
    From the beginning Pembroke Baptist Church has manifested a concern for missions. The first collection for State Missions was $56.70, at a very early date. The W. M. U. was organized in 1902, with Mrs. John P. Garnett as its first president. During the five-year period of the 75 Million Campaign the church raised, in addition to local expenses, approximately $25,000.00 for missions.
    During the pastorate of Rev. J. D. Herndon, who served the church from late 1938 to September, 1942, participation in the Cooperative Program was begun. For several years a voluntary offering has been given monthly for Miss Sarah Frances Miller, a member of the church who serves as a missionary in Brazil under the Conservative Baptist Foreign Mission Society.
    Two young men from the Pembroke Baptist Church are now serving in the ministry, namely, Rev. J. B. Maddux, Jr. and Rev. Denny Burchett.
    Over a span of nearly eighty-nine years twenty-two men have served as pastors of Pembroke Baptist Church. Two of these, Rev. J. G. Bow, the second pastor, and the present pastor, Dr. J. T. Spurlin, were called by the church a second time.

The pastors, with the approximate length of service of each, have been as follows:

J. M. Peay  3 years J. D. Herndon  4 years
J. G. Bow  7 months G. T. Greenwell  2 years
T. E. Tiler  2 years 0. G. Priddy  8 months
J. M. Phillips  5 years J. W. Wood  1 year
J. G. Bow  4 years P. C. Walker  5 years
A. R. Bond  3 years Earl Mitchell  2 years
 W. E. Mitchell  8 years J. T. Spurlin  2 years
C. P. Scott  2 years J. A. Porter  3 years
0. C. Payton  2 years Carl McNeill  2 years
B. E. Herring 2 years J. W. Watt  2 years
A. R. Willet  8 years W. B. Brookshire  2 years
A. H. Webb  8 years J. T. Spurlin  Present pastor (1972)

      Pembroke Baptist Church has been a member of Christian County Association since the association's beginning in 1923.


According to Perrin’s “History of Christian County,” the Pembroke Christian Church was organized in about 1849. Mr. Tom Jameson’s father gave the ground for this first church. It was a small, plain building and stood near where the city water tower now stands. There was no instrumental music at that time.
Perrin’s History gives the names of the first pastors. They were Elders W. E. Mobley, Henry T. Anderson, Robert Dulin, J. W. Cant, McChesney, John T. Johnson, Charles Day, J. C. Chastain, J. W. Hardy, Ligon, and Dave Moore, who was a brother of Henry Moore, a pastor of Dogwood Christian Church for a long time,
Pembroke had a weekly newspaper in the early 1900’s. The following is copied from the “Pembroke Journal Pictorial and Historical Edition,” November 1, 1901, regarding the churches of the town:
“The Christian Church is the oldest, their first house having been built about 1856. That has been sold, and last July they dedicated their new building which stands on the west side of Jackson Street.”
The new building was dedicated in July 1901. Elder J. M. Gordon was pastor at that time. He was also a teacher, occupying the chair of Latin and Greek at South Kentucky College, Hopkinsville. Instrumental music was introduced at that time. A few members objected to the music, but they acceded to the wishes of the majority.
Deed to the present property was made on July 5, 1900, between R. L, Moore and Bettie C. Moore, his wife, parties of the first part, and F. B. Massie, W. H. Jones, and J. C. Boxley, Trustees of the church, parties of the second part. It is recorded in Deed Book, 101, page 245, in the courthouse at Hopkinsville.
Known pastors succeeding J.M. Gordon are J. N. Darnell,
R. N. Fergueson, J. P. Neel, Ward Russell, H. C. Bell,
J. E. Vauss, J. M. Gordon (second time), R. L. Cave, Sheets, Burns, 0. A. Day, Fred Turley, H.D.
Prather, Mac B. Sadler, (became Chancellor of Texas Chris-
tian University, Ft. Worth), J. H. Patterson, Edward Coffman, Sr. (1938-1949), Walter Calhoun (1950-1951), J. E. Barron (interim March-June 1951, then he served as missionary in Belgian Congo for a few years), Tom Wood (interim June-August 1951), Jerome Dale (1951-1953), Linwood Coleman, Jr. (1953-1955), Allen C. Garner (1955-1957), Ted C. Harris (1957-1959), Roger Carstensen (interim April-August 1959, Professor of Old Testament History, Phillips University, Enid, Okia.), William E. Bowles (1959-1964), William H. Hammonds (1964-1967), Mike Parsons (1967-1968), C. Roy Stauffer (interim May - Aug. 1969), David Carl Roos (1969-1971), Darrell Filler (interim June - August 1971), Michael Black (Aug. 1971-Aug. 1972), Samuel S. Simon (Aug. 1972-Sept. 1975), Leonard W. Roynton (Oct. 1975-June 1978), Edward L. Johnson (July 1978-Jan. 1980), Henry Campbell (interim Feb. - Aug. 1980), James Mahoney (Sept. 1980-Feb. 1984), Leonard W. Boynton (interim March-June 1984), Douglas Gastellum (June 1984-June 1985), Jeremiah Chamberlin (Oct. 1985-
Many of the ministers have been students at Vanderbilt University.
An annex was built in the 1920’s and it was enlarged in 1951. In 1965 all of the old annex was removed and a much larger addition was built.
A parsonage was built in 1957 on a lot purchased from R. J. Garrott in 1956.
In May, 1957, a pastoral unity was formed with Sinking Fork Church, with the pastor living at Pembroke and preaching at both churches. This unity was discontinued in 1968.
During the 1950’s this church was a participant in the Christian County Convention of Christian Churches. There would be a general meeting on each fifth Sunday with each church taking turns serving as the host. There would be a pot luck dinner which was enjoyed by all. Mr. K. K. Kennedy of Dogwood and Mrs. Eli Adams of Rich worked diligently to keep the organization going. But in 1950 it dissolved and was replaced by the District Convention of Christian Churches, composed of Christian, Todd, and Trigg Counties.
Throughout the years there has been an active women’s organization — first the United Christian Missionary Society, then the Christian Women’s Fellowship which meets the last Wednesday evening of each month. The women have worked faithfully in helping with the financing of all projects of the church. For example, they prepared and served supper each month for the Ruritan Club from 1962 to 1977.
In 1970, an adjoining lot was purchased for parking space, and in 1982 another lot was purchased from Alva Stokes for more parking area.
The Trenton Christian Church closed its doors in 1974 because so few members were left. Some of these, the Luttrull families, have united with Pembroke or are faithfully attending.
Present trustees of the church are C. L. Simmons, Earl Mason, and E. C. Hampton.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Pembroke United Methodist Church

In the early 1800’s, the Saluburia Methodist Episcopal Church South was organized. The first services were in the home of Dr. Robert Payton Harrison. On July 4, 1848 the members bought approximately 5 acres of Salubria Spring Road for $100.00 from Dr. & Mrs Harrison on which was constructed a 40 X 50 ft. frame church.
On January 15, 1897, the church relocated in Pembroke on a lot at the corner of Jackson Street and Nashville Road which was purchased from the Fruit heirs for $550.00. In July 1899 a lovely brick church costing $4,500.00 was dedicated. On October 21, 1951 this building was destroyed by fire.
Services were then held in the Christian Church and the Pembroke High School auditorium.
On December 3, 1951, Dr. Paul White and Ruth Rudolph donated a lot on U.S. 41, Nashville Road, for the present church site.
On July 5, 1953, church school was held in the new educational building. The first worship service was held on July 12, 1953 by Rev. Fred Glover.
The sanctuary was completed in November 1957. The dedication services were held an July 22, 1962. The Rev. George Morris was pastor.
Peeler Chapel was completed in March 1981. The Rev. Jerry Smith was pastor.
The Pembroke United Methodist church marches on with God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church

    Pleasant Green Missionary Baptist Church was organized October 20, 1949, but its real beginning was earlier that year when Rev. Flavos H. McCraw working with the founding fathers began having worship services on Saturday nights. Since this church wasn't begun by a mother church it didn't have charter members. Coming from Allegree, Rev. Flavos McCraw was called as their first pastor. The Omar Hale family, who are still active, were faithful from the beginning when the Church met for worship in a tent. Other dedicated leaders were: Mr. Rudolph Johnson, Mrs. J. M. Moore, the pastor’s brother and sister, Dan McCraw and Dora Gillispie, respectively.
    Growth was so substantial that the newly organized church began looking for a lot on which to build. Mr. and Mrs. B. C. Long donated a lot, and lumber was ordered from the mill.
    Within a year the new building was ready and a dedication service was held with Rev. Hershal Maddox from Second Baptist in Hopkinsville preaching the dedicatory sermon on September 3, 1950.
Although “annual call” was practiced, most of the pastors served for two years, or more. When the need for Sunday School rooms became urgent the practice of designating first Sunday offerings for missions was abandoned and a percentage was sent to the Cooperative Program.
    Soon a basement was built, and “the church building was moved over it”.
    Recently the church sanctuary has been panelled and new church furniture purchased. Plans for the future include putting aluminum siding on the building and purchasing a new piano.

The following men have served as pastors:

Flavos H. McCraw  1949-1950 William B. Denston  1959-1960, 1961
Clyde Adams  1951-1952 Omer Stanford Murphy  1962-1963
Dewey Noffsinger  1953  A. J. Outland  1964
Clyde Adams  1954 W. R. Evans  1965-1966, 1967
Flavos H. McCraw  1955-1956 James Ashby  1968
Texile Pyle  1957-1958 Andy Humphries  1969-

Pleasant Green United Methodist Church

Pleasant Green United Methodist Church is one of three churches on the Crofton Circuit.
Its location is approximately four miles northwest of Hopkinsville just off of Highway 109, on the West Mount Zoar Road.
The current pastor is Rev. Russell Carver.
The Church dates back to March 9, 1876. The one half acre lot was donated by G. H. Golay and his wife, S.J. Golay, because of their love and loyalty to the Methodist Church.
The present building was built in 1951 from the remains of the older building.
Further addition and remodeling was done in 1979.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Pleasant Grove Baptist Church
Pleasant Grove Baptist Church was located between Newstead and Julien on the old Bellview and Brewers Mill Road about 1 mile north of Newstead. A deed for the church property was made 26 Nov. 1875 between W.B. Mason and the trustees of Pleasant Grove; Benson McCrea, Alex Coleman and Lasurus Williams. The one acre church lot was
to be used also for a school and when no longer used as such was to revert back to Mason or his heirs. Both the church and school continued until the spring of 1938. A local farmer was burning off his field and the fire became uncontrollable and burned the church. The church was never rebuilt. Members joined other nearby churches or attended church in the Pleasant Grove School House for a time.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Pleasant Hill Baptist Church

    Early minutes refer to the church as the “Mt. Pleasant Hill Meeting House”, Christian County, Kentucky. Organizing Saturday, May 20, 1837, most of the first twenty-one members came from the Mt. Carmel Church of Todd County. The next day the new church met and elected John West, deacon, and he was ordained by Rev. Brisendine and Rev. Williams. After meeting in the homes of members for some time, a committee was appointed “to purchase a lot and build a church”. A lot was purchased and construction begun, but it was still nut completed by 1841. The first building was located several hundred yards from Highway 107 down the hill from the Elmer West home.
    A committee was appointed in September, 1892, to confer with the West Seming Church for the purpose of consolidating that church with the Pleasant Hill Church. This new church was to be located “at some convenient place between them”.
    In July, 1893 with a total subscription of $213.00 the members voted: “to tear down the old building and use what would be usable in the new church to be located on a lot given by Mr. and Mrs. Bob Fears”. First services in the new one room building were held in June 1894. Rev. T. T. Powell, on November 7, 1915, preached the first sermon after the addition of a choir loft and elevated pulpit.
    From that time curtain partitions were used to divide the sanctuary into Sunday School rooms. During 1947, an educational annex, consisting of a basement and two floors, was added to the old building at an approximate
cost of $6,000. This debt was cleared in 1949.
    In 1952, the sanctuary was remodeled with the floor elevated and a baptistry added at a cost in excess of $3,000.00. First services in the remodeled sanctuary were held October 26, 1952. New pews and a table were bought for the sanctuary in July, 1954.
    James Johnson, on February 24, 1963, gave a lot on which to build a new parsonage; this was done and the parsonage loan was paid by November of 1966.
    On October 23, 1968, at a special meeting it was reported: ‘that Mr. Robert Diuguid had given a lot for a new church building”.
    Early the next year (January 8, 1969) the contract to proceed with architectural drawings was signed. These drawings and a bid for $68,900 were submitted to the church for approval at the regular business meeting for March, 1969; and it was voted without dissent to proceed.
    The first service was held July 27, 1969, with the pastor, Rev. J. Charles Hedrick, Jr., preaching the first sermon.
Rev. Albert P. Evans, Jr., the present pastor, was called Easter Sunday of 1971.

Pastors since 1923 have been:

E. L. Pendley  1923-1926 James E. Gary  1947-1948
J. T. Lewis  1927-1932 Russell Davis  1949
J. J. Jenkins  1933-1934  Norris Hite  1950-1952
H. 0. Nicely  1935-1937 A. J. Smith  1953-1962
J. T. Lewis  1938 Richard Tapscott  1963-1967
N. B. Sizemore  1939, 1940 Charles Hedrick  1968-1969, 1970
Wheeler Thompson 1941-1942 A. Evans, Jr. 1971-
James E. Boyd  1943-1945

Pleasant View Missionary Baptist Church
    During the early spring of 1936, Sunday School services, initiated by Mr. Olen West, were held in the Gun Grove schoolhouse. A brush arbor meeting was held on Mr. Frank Pepper’s farm in July of 1936. The Reverend Elmer Morris conducted these services with the assistance of Bro. George Compton.
There were sixteen professions of faith, but eighteen were baptized, as some united by coming from other denominations. The baptismal service conducted by Pleasant Hill Church was held on September 13, 1936.
    The following fall, out of this number, came the constitution of the church. It was organized under a tree in Frank Pepper’s yard. When cooler weather came, Sunday School was held in his home, rather than in the schoolhouse.
    On October 18, 1936, letters were granted from Pleasant Hill to Pleasant View for nineteen people to become Charter Members, but the official meeting to organize took place on October 25, 1936. The Presbytery was composed of twenty-two members: Mr. E. L. Pendley was moderator, and Audrey Meacham was clerk. The sermon was preached by Rev. W. E. Powell. Mrs. Olen West is responsible for the selection of the church’s name. The church was built on an acre of land donated by Mr. Frank Pepper. Before being finished the church was moved into that same year.
    A committee, appointed on April 4, 1937, to select the first pastor, secured Rev. Elmer Morris, who was re-elected annually until 1942.
    In 1939, electric lights were installed. The first monthly mission offering was taken September 7, 1941, The inside of the church was finished in the late fall of 1943, or early winter of 1944.
    Under the direction of the pastor, Rev. John Ewing Craig, in September of 1944, the church presented itself for membership in the Christian County Baptist Association.
    Starting in January of 1945, preaching services were held on Sunday afternoons. A Building Fund was established December 16, 1951. With the prospect of a new church building, “a small plot of land behind and on the west side of the church” was purchased.
    Pledges were taken from members in behalf of a new church on March 8, 1959. The contract was let to Lonnie Wells; and by May 23rd of that year the church was ready for occupancy.
    Dedication services were held on June 10, 1962, with Rev. Marvin Stinson delivering the message.
The first homecoming, now an annual affair, was held August 14. 1966. The church went from half-time preaching to full time that year, and thus it has remained.
    David Tucker, who was not an ordained minister at the time, accepted the call as pastor. He was ordained at Pleasant Hill on February 25, 1968, with Rev. Don Mathis preaching the charge.
    September 1, 1969 Rev. David Tucker offered his resignation, and Rev. David Cavanaugh was called as pastor on October 6, 1968.
    The Revival of 1970 produced more visible results than usual—nine candidates were baptized.
During the late spring of 1971, the interior of the church was panelled. In the early fall of 1972, an adjoining plot of ground donated by Mr. Leslie Sweeney, was surveyed, and the deed recorded. No plans have yet been made as to the future use of this land.

Pastors include:

Elmer Morris  1937-1942 Marvin Stinson  1957-1961
Douglas Mize  1942-1943  Wade Kennedy  1961-1962
John Ewing Craig  1944  Leslie Williams  1962-1965
Elmer Morris  1945 Joe Davis  1965-1967
Marvin Stinson  1947-1948 David Tucker  1968
J. C. Gunn  1949-1950 David Cavanaugh  1968-1971
M. V. Cotton  1951 -1952 Albert Clardy  1972
Raymond Deason  1953-1954 Lee Stofer  1971 Interim
J. J. Jenkins  1955 Jack E. Goldfarb  1971 Interim
James H. Maddox,  Jr.  1956-1957

Rock Spring Christian Church

Alexander Campbell came to Kentucky in 1831, 1841, 1855 and 1859. It is not known if or when he came to Christian County.
Many were converted to this new religion. They were called Campbellites or Christians. The early Christians met in the Parker School House until they started their own church in Petersburgh. They named their church “The Rock Springs Christian Church.” Names of some of the families who worshipped in this church were: Teague, Williams, Parker, Cordier, Francis, Denton, Hamby, Lyell, Wiley, Davis, Curtis, Driver, Back, Wick and others.
My grandfather, William Gary Teague, was a convert in this church; I was told he preached here and other rural places for thirty-five years. Dr. Samuel H. Williams also worshipped at this church.
The older generation was dying and many families were moving away, early 1900’s. The old church house was in dire need of repair and was abandoned by its members.
The last Teague funeral preached in this church was my father’s George Anderson Teague, on February 29, 1928.
Mrs. Martha Parker Denton financed a new building. Her relatives had worshipped there; they, along with her husband, Jessie Denton, and many friends were buried in the church yard.
My grandfather, W. C. Lyell, got a crew of men, tore the old building down, and erected a smaller building in its place.
Sunday, September 29, 1929, the new building was dedicated. There was a large crowd and dinner on the ground. We try to meet at least once a year there.
I wanted the younger generation to know why Carl Whit-field and Jessie Simmons feel as they do about the Peters-burgh Church. It was their grandmother who made it possible for the church building to be built.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

All rights reserved.
Return To Christian County Index