Julien Missionary Baptist Church
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
Jesus Christ of Latter Days Saints (Haley's Mill)
Johnson's Chapel
Kelly Baptist Church

Julien Missionary Baptist Church

In the spring of March 1944, a group of concerned members of the Julien community in Christian county met for the purpose of establishing a New Testament Missionary Baptist Church in the community. By the authority of the Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church in Trigg county, the following pastors and members met on March 8, 1944 to organize the Julien Missionary Baptist Church: Pastors J. R. Guess, Rosco Noel, and Carl Noel, with members, Ulyess and Mary Noel, Albert and Mary Ann Roberts, Ralph and Alene Roberts, Blanch Wallace, Hartley and Dean Taylor, Lacy and Macy Thomas, Aubrey, Daphene and Doris Thomas, Driscall and Lucille Ladd, Anabell Broadbent, and Dorothy Griffin. All of these members along with pastor Carl Noel became members of the Julien Missionary Baptist Church by being granted letters from their former home churches.
The new Church adopted the articles of faith as given in Pendleton’s Church Manuel They chose the name Julien Missionary Baptist Church and proceeded to call Carl Noel as their first pastor. The church voted to purchase an old store building from the U. S. Government located at the intersection of highways 272 and 117, which has remained the permanent location of the Julien Church.
The first sermon was preached Sunday March 12, 1944. The first revival was held on the second week of July 1944 with Brother J. R. Guess being the evangelist. During tins revival there was an addition of thirty members, seventeen by baptism and thirteen by letter. The first deacons were Floyd Lancaster, Lacy Thomas, Clyde Finley, and Hartley Taylor.
The church building was remodeled in May of 1944. In 1947, they started their first Radio program on station WHOP, in Hopkinsville, Kentucky. In 1948, the church purchased the home of the pastor, Carl Noel, for their church parsonage.
On October 31, 1951, Brother Carl Noel resigned as pastor after serving for eight years. The church immediately called Brother Elton Wilson as their new pastor. In March 1952, the church voted to withdraw support from the Southern
Baptist Cooperative Program and send all mission support directly to the missionaries.
In May of 1954, the church again remodeled the church building with more additions to it by enlarging the auditorium and adding Sunday School rooms.
Brother Elton Wilson remained the pastor for six years resigning November 17, 1957. Brother Dempsey Henderson became the pastor in January 1958. In September of 1965, there was another remodeling and addition made to the building. In June 1960, the Julien Missionary Baptist Church voted to officially withdraw from the Southern Baptist Convention and become an Independent Missionary Baptist Church which they had been in nature and practice since their organization. On June 12,1966, Brother Dempsey Henderson resigned as pastor to go to Brazil as a missionary out of the Julien Baptist Church. Brother Dempsey Henderson was pastor for eight and one-half years.
Brother Wallace York became pastor November 1966 and remained pastor until September 1975 serving nine years.
Brother Garner R. Smith became pastor March 1976. He has remained pastor until this present time, January 1986.
The Church still has two charter members, Albert and Mary Ann Roberts, who still attend faithfully as of this writing.
The Lord has certainly blessed Julien Missionary Baptist Church down through the forty two years of her existence. She still has a radio broadcast on WKDZ in Cadiz, Kentucky every Sunday afternoon at 2:00 F.M. She has ordained and sent out to preach the Gospel ten pastors and missionaries. The church now has two of her missionaries in Brazil, one in Honduras and two in the eastern part of Kentucky. She has five ordained pastors pastoring churches throughout the States from coast to coast, with two preachers still in the church doing evangelistic work.
The Julien Missionary Baptist Church still believes and practices the same doctrines taught by our Lord in the first church He established while here on earth. The Church still holds to the fundamental beliefs of the Sovereignty of God, that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant, plenary Word of God, that Christ was indeed the incarnate Son of God horned of a virgin, that Salvation is by grace alone, that Christ has only one kind of church a local visible body like the one He personally organized while here on earth, that baptism is by immersion by the authority of the church, closed communion, the pre-millennial return of Christ for all His saints to appear at the Judgment Seat of Christ and a final judgment for unbelievers to be cast into everlasting punishment and all the saints to enjoy the eternal bliss of God’s presence. Julien Missionary Baptist Church still holds to these doctrines today as all true New Testament Missionary Baptist Churches have since the time of Christ.
The Julien Missionary Baptist Church believes in the absolute freedom of religion for all people. They will do what ever is necessary according to the Bible to maintain this freedom for all.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
John W. Manire was first local member baptized in 1898. From this humble beginning, the seeds of the gospel have taken root and nourished over the years. Buildings were erected in rural areas of Haley’s Mill and Larkin. As membership shifted to Hopkinsville, so did the site of meeting places. The Odd Fellows Lodge and later a renovated house served as meeting places until 1968 when a new church building was erected on Country Club Lane.
May 21, 1978, Apostle Howard Hunter ordained Ruben L Fears (Attorney) as the Stake President of the newly organized Hopkinsville, Kentucky Stake with instructions to begin the process to build a stake center. In 1980 six acres were purchased in the Great Oaks subdivision. August 1982, the Church investment group purchased the famed 2755 acre “Boddie Estate” at auction price of 4.2 million dollars. August 1985 saw completion of the 26000 sq. ft. multipurpose Hopkinsville stake center at cost of 2.2 million dollars thus becoming the largest single religious property owner in Christian County.
The building and property are used to assist members by providing programs and activities. The very active youth program includes a daily early morning seminary for high school students. The Church is sponsor for Scout Troop 85 organized in 1968, Pack 249 organized in 1973 and Kentucky’s first Varsity team 185 organized in Aug. 1984. Active leaders in scouting program include Jim Dennis, Mike and Trish Richardson, Robert and Peggy Fears, Heber and Ann Manire, Steve and Darlene Burgi. Earning the Eagle Badge have been McKay Fears, Tiny Manire, Jed Manire, Ben Fuqua, Frank Dempsey, Scott Richardson with several more progressing rapidly.
Fulfilling the commission to spread the gospel by fulfilling a fulltime mission to various pans of the world have included George Manire, Katie M Whitson, Heber Manire, Robert Fears, Gail Wade, Joe Dunning, Kathy Fritz, Steve Cavannah, Bill Seaman, Mindy Reynolds, Glen Unklesbay and Lane McLennan.
The Church is noted for leadership in genealogical research worldwide. Locally, Charlie M Hamner has assisted thousands in their search for their ancestors. She holds membership in several hereditary organizations including the Daughters of Cincinnati, Order of the Crown of Charlamagne, Americans of Royal Descent and the Magna Charta.
In June 1983, Elder Gordon B Hinkley dedicated the Atlanta Temple with several local members in attendance. John S Manire, James Wade and Elizabeth Wade have served as fulltime temple ordinance officials. Several other worthy members have gone to the temple for purpose of organizing their families and to perform proxoy work for the deceased. Clifton and Eve Jordan, Norman and Mary Pennington, Roy and Terry Stump, Leonora Hoffman, Maggie Wells, Clarice Ladd, and several others have gone on bus trips to the temple.
June 9, 1978, Prophet Spencer W Kimball announced a revelation that expanded the Priesthood authority so all worthy male members regardless of race or creed. Within a few months our baptisms included Joe White and she James Abren families becoming the first black members. With Fort Campbell being close, we have had several nationalities and languages as part of our group. Truly we have become a “melting pot” with a common purpose so become a better people by serving God. From humble poor conditions we have risen to be a source of influence for good in our community.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Haley's Mill)
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, “Mormon” in the Haley’s Mill section of north east Christian Co., was the first home for the church in this section since it was restored by Joseph Smith the Prophet of God, in 1830. The ground was donated by Mrs. Katie (Cook) Grace, mother of Ruby Manire. The building was built by members and friends of the church being supervised by Elder J. L. Manire, and dedicated 1912. Many had been converted since the first baptism of John Wesley Manire 1898. Mr. J. L. Manire taught school here up to 1916, a picture shows 44 in attendance — ages 5 to 18 years.
An oil well produced on the church lot helped in the promotion of the Lord’s work. The church served as a cradle for district conferences for Madisonville, Greenville, Elkton and Hopkinsville before their churches were built.
It stands as a constant reminder of its purpose; read LUKE 9:58. The building is now used for recreations and home comings. The ground is a final resting place for the families of those who worshiped there.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Johnson's Chapel
Grissom Chapel Church came into existence soon after the will of John W. Grissom and wife, dated February 4, 1854, reserving land for the church. Unfortunately, the span of approximately ninety years brought drastic changes to this one-time large and thriving congregation. Its membership had dropped to the extent that services were discontinued and the building was dismantled in May, 1943.
A new location was chosen on East Cole Creek Road about three miles from the original site. On March 13, 1943, the official foundation for a new building was laid when the children of Samuel Winfield and Naomi (Drake) Johnson made a deed donating land on which to build a church with the stipulation that it be named Johnson’s Chapel, in honor of their Father and Mother. Signed by the children and their spouses: H. W. and Lena Johnson; B. B. and Hazel Johnson; Otho and Mamie (Johnson) Grace; J. B. and Mayme Johnson.
Construction of Johnson’s Chapel began July 20, 1943. By using salvaged material from Grissom Chapel, the costof the finished block building, plus the heater and piano, totaled $3,397.00 It was completed November 11, 1943 and the first service in Johnson’s Chapel Church was held December 12, 1943.
On July 9, 1944, dedication service for Johnson’s Chapel was held under the supervision of its pastor, the Rev. J. L. Wall. Church officials serving at that time were: Otho Grace, Sunday School Superintendent; Mrs. Eva Bass, Mrs. Olaf Wells, Clifton Grace and R. L. Johnson as Stewards;
F. B. Wagoner, Mrs. Evin Hardison and R. L. Johnson, Trustees.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Kelly Baptist Church

    Kelly Baptist Church was organized on October 23, 1841, as the Mt. Zoar Baptist Church. This name was retained until 1935 when the name was changed to Kelly. The original constitution was signed in the presence of  Peter F. Oglesby and Nicholas Lacy, and was signed by: Matthew Williams,  Elias White, H. H. McCutcheon, Elizabeth Williams, Nancy White, and Ursula McCutcheon.
    The following quotation from The Rules of Decorum is very interesting “When members do not attend church conferences for three months it shall I be the duty of the church to appoint some member or members to invite them to fill the seat or seats and give the reason or reasons of their absence. FEMALES EXCEPTED.”
    Records are incomplete until the year ot 1923, when the first session of the Christian County Baptist Association was held. The records show that W. B. Hammack was the pastor, the membership was 77, and mission gifts were $54.11.
The first building was erected in 1903; and then it was moved back some 70 or 80 feet when U.S. Highway 41 was built. In 1934 one large and two smaller Sunday School rooms were added to the back of the church.  This building burned on January 31, 1949, and was rebuilt on the same site with the first services being held on Christmas day, 1949.  Additional Sunday School rooms were constructed and dedicated to the service of the Lord on July 24, 1958.  In 1961 the church constructed a pastorium at a cost of $9,043.  The land for this project was donated by Mr. and Mrs. Roy Frey.  In 1968 a garage was constructed at the parsonage at a cost of $2,016.  At a special business meeting held after the Morning Worship Service on April 13, 1969, the church voted to build the present brick church.

Kelly has had the following pastors:

W. B. Hammack 1923-1924 Milburn Chester 1948
C. E. Hutchison 1925 L. L. Spurlin 1949-1955
J. T. Lewis 1926-1929 Jackie Geurin 1956-1958
J. J. Thomas 1930-1932 Edward R. Bolton 1959-1960
J. T. Spurlin 1933-1936 Clint Adams 1961-1966, 1967
Audrey Meacham 1937-1938 Brodie Ambrose 1968-1970
J. J. Thomas 1939-1943 Dennis L. Pulley 1971 -
Graden Parker 1944-1947

All rights reserved.
Return To Christian County Index