Hebron United Methodist Church
Henderson Memorial Baptist Church
Herndon United Methodist Church
Hillcrest Baptist Church
Highland Presbyterian Church
Hopkinsville Universalist Church

Hebron United Methodist Church
Hebron, located five miles west of Hopkinsville on the Cox Mill Road, joins Shiloh (Cadiz Road) and Vaughans Grove (Butler Road) in comprising the Hopkinsville Circuit of the Louisville Conference, United Methodist Church.
The church, originally a log structure, and located about two miles west of the present site, was known as Robbins Chapel, and was founded in 1834-35 by Rev. George Rob-bins, its pastor for a number of years. In 1842, ground was purchased for the present location from James Ford, and a new building was erected. In 1891, the building had outlived its purpose, and the present structure was erected on the three-acre plot.
The church had by this time become affiliated with the Louisville Conference, and had received its present name. It had a membership roll of 130. The Board of Stewards was composed of George M. Wolfe, C.E. Sively (recording secretary), and N.B. Gregory, Frank M. Pierce was class leader and Sunday School superintendent, and Monroe Gregory, secretary.
In the passing years, improvements to the building have included two class rooms on the front, and three in an addition made at the back. Church services are held each week, with preaching on the second and fourth Sundays. A pastor,
supplied from the Conference, serves the three churches. The church has constantly maintained an active women’s
program through membership in the Womens Society of Christian Service. Two well known Methodist ministers coming from the membership were the late A. H. Gregory, also a missionary, and John H. Smithson, author of the book:
“Both Feet On Earth, and Looking Up”.

Henderson Memorial Baptist Church
    An acre of ground in "Green Meadows" subdivision was given to the Second Baptist Church by Mr. Gilbert Henderson and his wife, Florence.  After an additional three acres were purchased for $10,000, a survey and building committee composed of: M. G. Williams, Lonnie Walker, P. G. Kemp, Gilbert Henderson and Archie Collins was elected to study the possibilities of building a mission. (Jan. 4, 1961)
    In April 1963 construction began on a two story brick building 50 by 85 feet arranged for a Worship Auditorium and a full department Sunday School at the approximate cost of $88,000.
    The first services were held in Henderson Memorial Baptist Chapel, named in honor of the late Mr. Henderson, on December 1, 1963.  Rev. J. H. Maddox, pastor of Second Baptist Church, spoke at the morning hour; and the associate pastor, Rev. Garlon C. Sills, preached at the evening service.  Later, Bro. Sills became chapel pastor and a home was purchased for him at 316 Blane Drive for $15,000.  Approximately 100 members from Second Baptist Church voluntarily changed their place of worship and began a full time program in the new location.
    The following previously ordained deacons served the Chapel:  W. J. Lawrence, Lawrence Calvin, David Rogers, Orbie Stone, Homer Shelton, Marion Sisk, and Albert Wyatt.
    Brother William B. McKenzie was ordained as a Minister of the Gospel by the church on November 1, 1964.
    During the first two years, 182 additions were received.
    On October 8, 1965, in the regular business meeting, the members of Second Baptist Church unanimously voted: "that Henderson Memorial Baptist Chapel be organized into a Church on the first Sunday in December 1965 and that they be allowed to assume $38,000 of the church indebtedness which included the Chapel building and the parsonage at 316 Blane Drive."
    Henderson Memorial Baptist Chapel was formally constituted as Henderson Memorial Baptist Church on Sunday afternoon December 5, 1965.  Rev. J. H. Maddox, retired from Second Baptist Church, preached the sermon and Rev. Marion Duncan, new pastor of Second Baptist Church, served as Moderator.  Brother Cliff Atwood, a member of the Second Baptist Church served as clerk.  Rev. Cecil Laster, Associational Missionary for Christian County Baptist, formed the Council of Constitution.  The church adopted the New Hampshire Confession of Faith, the Church Covenant as printed in the Baptist Hymnal, and called the Rev. Garlon C. Sills as first pastor at a salary of $6,500.  Two hundred sixty members of Second Baptist Church, who had been attending the Chapel, were granted letters of dismissal to become members of the new church.
    On January 7, 1966 the Trustees of Second Baptist Church made deeds to the Trustees of Henderson Memorial on the Church property located on Noel Drive and the parsonage. They also transferred $38,000 to the church debt to Henderson Memorial.  The trustees of Henderson Memorial were given authority by the church to mortgage the church property in order to borrow that amount.
    Henderson Memorial became a member of the Christian County Baptist Association on September 19, 1966.
    Realizing the potential of present facilities had been reached, a Building Survey Committee to make a complete and thorough study of future building needs was appointed.
    By July 1968 the trustees were instructed: "to negotiate a loan with Hopkinsville Federal up to $200,000 as needed and that a contract to erect a new building be awarded to Rader Construction Company.
    A ground breaking ceremony, signaling the start of construction on a new sanctuary and Sunday School Annex, was conducted at the close of the worship hour Sunday, August 18, 1968.  The completed brick building was dedicated in a special service Sunday afternoon, March 9, 1969, with Dr. Harold G. Sanders, Executive Secretary-Treasurer of the Kentucky Baptist Convention bringing the dedicatory message.
    Rev. Sill submitted a letter of resignation at the business session May 7, 1969 to be effective as of June 1, of that year.
    The Chaplin of Western State Hospital, Rev. Philip Lee, was called on October 1, 1969, and began his preaching ministry November 9, 1969.  The parsonage was sold as Bro. Smith would provide his own home.
    Henderson Memorial has sponsored four mission Vacation Bible Schools at Cedar Grove Negro Baptist Church (1967-70).

Herndon United Methodist Church
About the year 1855, a Methodist Church was built near the Olivet Baptist Church on Palmyra Road, one-half mile north of Garrettsburg, called Garrettsburg Methodist Church. Among the early members were John Woodson, William Kay, Mrs. Judith Woodson, Mrs. Martha Moore, Mrs. Sally Morris, Thomas Adams and wife, Robert Ford and family, and others. During the following years, the property suffered from lack of attention and fell into decay.
On November 2, 1885, an indenture deed was made to buy land for $100.00. Fifty dollars was paid cash down, and fifty donated by Thomas and Laura C. Herndon. The waning Garrettsburg Methodist Church was torn down and some of the materials were used to build the Herndon Church then called Coleman Chapel.
In 1932, a Sunday school was organized and in 1938, a women’s society organized.
In 1946 and 1947, the church was remodeled with full basement and kitchen facilities, floors and pews in the sanctuary refinished, and the arched pulpit walls and altar rails were constructed.
April 21, 1966, the church name was changed from Coleman’s Chapel to Herndon Methodist Church. Trustees were Douglas Haile, CB. Elliott, and Bernice Ballard.
In 1973, the church was again remodeled with the addition of restrooms, foyer, and bricking of the entire church. A parsonage was constructed on Highway 117, in 1979.
Rev. J.D. Graddy has served the church since 1977.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Hillcrest Baptist Church
    In the spring of 1954, the First Baptist Church, with Dr. William Peyton Thurman as pastor, was having an intensive study-training program endeavoring to train new workers to staff a just completed education building.  Stanley Cobb, a member of the mission committee, asked that the church consider starting a mission and offered the use of his commercial garage on East Ninth Street.  The group assembled was in favor of this proposal; and the following week the Missions Committee, composed of: Dr. and Mrs. Gabe Payne, Rita Harvey, Stanley Cobb, and Mrs. Elizabeth Trabue, discussed the possibility of a mission and presented their idea to the deacons.  At the following business meeting the deacons recommended that such a mission be established.  By the second week in July the garage at 1415 E. 9th Street was cleaned, furnished with equipment from the old educational building, and ready for occupancy.
    A dedication service was held on Sunday, July 18, 1954.  Among those present from First Baptist Church were: Dr. Gabe Payne, Stanley Cobb, Pollard White, Dr. William Peyton Thurman, Gilmer Pursley, P. S. Humphrey, and the four who were to start work at the mission;--Carl McGhee, Mrs. Stanley Cobb, Mrs. John Hanberry, and Loys Williams.
    Two weeks later on August 1, 1854, services were begun with various individuals from First Baptist Church and faculty members of Bethel College filling the pulpit.  Among them were: Dean Burton, Dr. Masden, Robert Bridges, Judson Ellis, Gilmer Pursley, and Terry Fuqua.  Four months after organization seventy four were enrolled in Sunday School with seven classes being conducted.
    By July, 1955, the garage was outgrown; and the property across the street which included two old houses was purchased.
    On June 10, 1965 Bro. Downs accepted a call from a church in Batberton, Ohio; and shortly afterwards Bro. Donald Long was called as pastor.
    Having completely outgrown the present building to the extent that nearby homes were used for Sunday School classes, the First Baptist Church in regular business meeting on May 8, 1957, voted to build a two unit building capable of taking care of approximately 260 in Sunday School and Worship Service.  Sunday, December 8, 1957, the new building was ready at a total cost of $39,650.12.
    During the spring of 1958, a revival was held with Rev. Sidney Maddox, new pastor of the mother church, doing the preaching.  Despite the extremely cold weather with temperatures around zero most of the week, there were twenty-six professions of faith and four rededications.
    Growth continued so steadily that in 1959 they "had to dig a room to be used for two Sunday School classrooms in the basement of the Church".
    In May 1960, the decision was made to petition First Baptist Church to become an independent church on the first Sunday of September.  Four names were suggested with the name "Hillcrest Baptist Church" being selected.
    The church voted July 12, 1961 to purchase five acres of land on the corner of Skyline Drive and the Nashville Road.  Due to lack of financial status within the church, a loan was refused, but on faith the members sold bonds; and on December 9, 1962, they moved into a new auditorium which would seat 500.  An old house on the property accommodated eleven classes; and there were also four additional classrooms in the new building.
    As growth continued bonds were again sold to build a new educational building which was completed in 1963.
    When the old First Church sanctuary was being torn down (1964) Hillcrest was given the baptistry draperies as a warm memento from the mother church.
    The Rev. Donald Long tenured his resignation effective August 29, 1965, to accept a position in Urbana, Illinois.  Dr. Charles Treadway from the Sunday School Board in Nashville served as interim pastor until January 1, 1966, at which time Dr. Robert Dean became pastor.
    The resignation of Dr. Dean was accepted with deep regret on May 26, 1968, as he had accepted the editorship of the new "Life and Work" series of Sunday School literature.  On August 4, 1968, the church called J. E. Maddux as pastor, and a new parsonage was purchased in October of that year.
    Bro. Maddux remained until May 9, 1971, when he accepted a call to the Crabtree Avenue Baptist Church in Owensboro, Kentucky.  until the church called Rev. Wayne Newby on May 10, 1972, Dr. Robert Dean returned to serve as interim pastor.

Highland Presbyterian Church
     The Highland Presbyterian Church, located on the Butler road, one block off East Seventh Street, had its beginning in 1927 as a Sunday School for pupils of the old Highland School.
Mrs. Effie Lee Davis, teacher of the school, saw the need for Christian teaching for the young people of the community, so with the help of her sitter, Miss Margaret Morris, started a small Sunday School in the old Highland School building. Mrs. Davis and Miss Morris were members of The First Presbyterian Church, Hopkinsville.
     This work went on until 1944 when the possibility of extended Christian Service in the Highland community was recognized. The men’s Bible Class of The First Presbyterian Church Hopkinsville, decided as a class project to provide a place for worship and preaching service for the whole community. They purchased the existing building and grounds located in a triangle between Butler Road and Darling Lane.
     With the help of interested friends in the community the Bible Class completed the Chapel building in November 1948. They held morning Sunday School and night worship services. On November 5, 1950, the Chapel became an organized church.
     The following were charter members of the church: Mrs. W. A. Arvin, Mr. Murphy Davis, Mr. & Mrs. Eric Davis, Mr. & Mrs. Ronald Davis, Mr. Charles Davis, Leoria Francis, Sylvia Francis, Mrs. G. R. Goode, Dorothy Goode, Elsie Goode, Wanda Goode, Mr. & Mrs. Gilbert Harned, Betty Harned, Howard Harned, Mr. A. B. Hester, Patsy Hester, Mr. & Mrs. Cecil Hayes, Janet Hayes, Ralph Hayes, Dorris Hayes, Jerry Hayes, Nonnie Hancock, Kathleen Lancaster, Mr. & Mrs. Leo McKnight, Annette McKnight Mr. & Mrs. Thomas Moss, Sue Moss, Juanita Moss, Mr. & Mrs. Monroe Orten, Mr. & Mrs. Coleman Phipps, Dorothy Phipps, Mr. & Mrs. Bentley Shepherd, Mrs. 0. D. Shepherd, Tommy Shepherd, Mr. & Mrs. Moss Stagner, Martha Ann Summer, Margaret Harned and Mrs. Walter Mitchell.
     The Pastors who have served the mission of the church over the years are Rev. Leslie Crane, Rev. R. 3. Hunter, Jr., Rev. Franklin P. Smith, Gordon Smith, Rev. A, 3. Van Wyk, Dr. William D. Keeling, Rev. Herbert McGrath and Dr. Duane Forderhase.
James E. Polk has served in she office of Clerk of Session since 1953. Frank T. Mason has served as church treasurer since 1973.
     The church has a board of ruling elders. They are James E. Polk, Gilbert Harned, Alvie Boyd, Carlos Grace, Thurston Keeling, John Bledsoe, Andy Hester, Faye Pool, Dorothy Cohoon, Frank T. Mason, Jerry Vaughn, Benny Pryor, Leo McKnight, C. D. McFarland, David Pool and Ronald Henn.
Worship service is held each Sunday morning at 9:15 AM. with Sunday School at 10:30 AM. There are classes for all ages. The Highland Church is a warm friendly church composed of people from all walks of life. You will find a hearty welcome, an open fellowship, and a Biblically oriented church.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Hopkinsville Universalist Church
In Sept. 1887 several men of the Universalist faith invited Rev. Gibbs to hold a series of meetings in the Courthouse. The Courthouse could hardly hold the crowds and on Oct. 31 an organization was formed.
A Committee was appointed composed of Messrs. Julian Hord, John Prowse, Polk Cansler and James Yancy to work to build a church.
The organization met in the Julian Hoard Grocery building on the southeast corner of Fifth and Virginia. A man by the name of M.F. Lathe was the first minister. The following year a lot was purchased on the corner of Third and Main where the present church was constructed.
The completion and dedication of the church was held May 1888. Mrs. Sophie Gibb preached the dedicatory sermon.
A list of ministers whom we recall are Revs. M.C. Lathe, Arthur Roberts, M.L. Pope, Q.H. Shinn, G.R. Taylor, H.C. Beckett, J. M. Rasnoke, C.W. Hillstern, J.B. Fosher, Thomas Chapman, G.C. Abbitt, Thomas Murray, William Gamer,George Boom, W.O. Bodell, Stanley Stahl, Billy Chandler, Harry Means, Wayne McCarty, John Schofield, Jack Calendar, and Jerry Wright.
The building as it now stands depicts architectural significance of a historic period and has been designated as a Kentucky landmark. The Church remains active and worship service is held every Sunday morning.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

All rights reserved.
Return To Christian County Index