Fairview United Methodist Church
Faith Lutheran Church
First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church of Oak Grove
First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
First Church of God
First Cumberland Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church
First United Methodist Church
Flat Lick Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Fruit Hill Baptist Church

Fairview United Methodist Church

“Fairview Methodist Church was organized about 1852. It was formerly known as Providence Church, and was an old log-house situated one mile west of Fairview Village, and had been in existence for many years”, according to the 1884 History of Christian County, by William H. Perrin. According to the Fairview Review, dated September 27, 1901, Providence Church was organized about 1836. The land for ihe church was given by a Carroll family. As no deed could be found evidently the property went back to the family when it was no longer used by the Methodist. Descendants of the Carroll family who attend the Fairview Church at the present time are Patsy Hampton Kennedy, B. Jan. 1, 1941, married Edward Kennedy, June 20, 1964, and their sons, Steven, B. July 3, 1970, and Patrick, B. Dec. 11, 1979. Patsy’s brother, Carroll Hampton, B. July 31, 1934, attended until his death, Aug. 24, 1970. Carroll married Jewel Lee, Oct. 11, 1969, and at the present time she is the church pianist.
When the church was built in Fairview about 1852, the following were listed as members: Robert Armstrong and Wife, Ab Brown and wife, Eliza Carroll, Harrison Carroll, Wallace Cooper, Mary Foulks M. E. Gray, Nancy Griffin, Ben Hancock and Wife, Polly Harned, E. A. Lackey and Wife, George Leckey and Wife, John W. Lackey, Thomna Lackey, James Littel and Wife, Mary A. Moore, Lewis Nichols, James Nichols, Mary A. Nichols, Wesley Nichols, David Ralston and Wife, Zachariah Smith and Wife, Lewis Templeton and Wife, Richard Vaughan and Wife, Ben Vinsen sad Wife.
In searching for descendants from ihe above members only two were found who are currently members, Margaret Ralston Taylor, B. Dec. 14, 1928, and David Ralston, B. Aug. 28, 1938, descendants of David Ralston and wife.
Perrin wrote in 1884, “that the present building in Fair-view was much dilapidated and efforts are being made with good hopes of success to build a new house”. A new building was started later that year and soon completed. This house of worship was used until it was struck by lightning and homed in Nov., 1897.
By the fall of 1898, a new building has been completed. This structure was of Gothic-sytle and was the pride of all Methodist in the community. They gathered Sept. 9, 1198, for the dedicalion, Dr. 3. J. Tigert, preached the Dedieatery Sermon.
In 1948, tragedy struck again. During a heavy thunderstorm lightning struck for the second time in the asme place, and the building was destroyed. The New building, was completed in 1949, was a short distance from the original site. The annex across the back of the sanctuary which extends on both sides was completed in 1961.
Two men have left the church to enter the ministry. First was Thomas D. Everett, Jr., B. Aug. 23, 1915, at Fairview, Ky. Be was licensed to preach in 1935, received his education at Lindsey Wilson College, Western State College, Kentucky Wtsleyan College and Duke Divinity School. Before retiring is 1979, he served on many of the conference boards and is now a trustee at Lindsey Wilson College. He and his wife, Rowena Fritz Everett, live in Fairview, and are active in the work of the local church.
The second one was Gayron Howard Lee, B. April 16, 1941, in Burkeaville, Ky., son of Rev, and Mrs. Alvis Lee. He entered the ministry in 1976, is a full-time local Pastor, now serving Ihe Maupin-Concord Charge in the Camphellsville District. Howard is also outstanding in the field of evangelistic singing. He, his wife Nancy, and their family live in Albany, Ky.
Another minister who should be included in this hisiory is Alvis Lee. He was born July 9, 1914, at Burkesville, Ky. Bro. Lee and Minnie Carter were married Oct. 19, 1934. After serving many churches in the Louisville Conference, he came so the Fairview Charge in 1966, stayed fourteen years, and retired in 1980. They reside in Hopkinsville, Ky.
It is a certainty, many of the men who preached in the early nineteenth century, reds the circuits of this area. Due to weather conditions and many times having nothing more than a path to follow, most of them could not live long as Circuit Riders. “The salaries were distressingly small, and many good preachers, with hearts full of zeal for the cause of Christ, were forced to give up the work they loved. They would go to farming or some other profession in order to be able to provide for their families”, wrote A. H. Redford in The History of Methodism in Kentucky.
The following is a list of the known pastors of the local church and the years they were appointed by conference: 1849 Ben Hester; 1850-51 5. D. Aikin; 1852 F. M. English and B. F. Alexander; 1853 Samuel F. Johnson; 1854 Matthew N. Lindsey; 1855-56 R. W. Trimble; 1857 Abram Quick; 1858-59 L. B. Davidson; 1860 Schuyler L. Murrill; 1861-62 J. F. Redford; 1863 David Morton; 1864-65 Thomas
J. Moore; 18663. C. Petrie; 1867-68 James A. Lewis; 1869-70 Enoch Crows; 1871-74 Isaac W. Emerson; 1875 Dennis Spurner; 1876 J. F. Redford; 1877-78 William T. Moore;1879-80 James A. Lewis; 1881 J. C. Petrie; 1882 Isaac W. Emerson; 1883-85 B. F. Orr; 1886-89 J. W. Bigham; 1890- 92 D. S. Bowles; 1893 3. D. Frazer; 1894-95 P. H. Davis; 1896-98 3. L. Edrington; 1899-1900 A. E. Barnett (left in March) Supplied by R. P. EasIer; 1901 J. W. Love; 1902-05 A. D. Leitchfield; 1906-07 T. L. Hulse; 1908-09 G. W. Lyon; 1910 W. R. Wagoner; 1911-13 T. L. Hulse; 1914 R. F. Hayes; 19 15-18 W. R. Gordon; 1919 J. W. Weldon; 1920 E. W. Smith; 1921-22 V. M. Collins; 1923-25 W. I. Monday; 1926-27 L. I. Chandler; 1928-29 C. G. Sledge; 1930-31 A. L. Shanzenbacher; 1932-33 W. W. Asbby; 1934 C. B. Hutcherson; 1935-37 Fred M. Glover; 1938-43 J. P. Booher; 1944 D. L. Vance; 1945 T. C. Howell; 1946-48 Ruby V. Adams; 1949-50 John Hamilton; 1951 Kenneth C. Williams; 1952 William R. MeKinney; 1953 Edward Beavin; 1954-55 D. R. Gant; 1956 William C. O’Dell; 1957 Estill Casebier; 1958-59 Herbert Polson; 1960-62 L. R. Bottoms; 1963-65 Claude Hale; 1966-79 Alvia W. Lee; 1980
Ralph M. Lee; 1981-82 Raymond M. Colbum; 1983-85 Hueston E. Eakins, (see his history this book).
Tribute should be paid to two of our special members, Mrs. Fannie Burks Horn, born Dec. 2, 1892, became a member of the church in 1952, and is the oldest living member. Mrs. Ella Mae Hancock Taylor, born Sept. 3, 1903, joined the church in 1919, thus making her the member for the longest period of time.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Faith Lutheran Church
In 1959, a number of Lutheran families from Hopkinsville participated in the establishment of Grace Lutheran Church in Clarksville, Tennessee. Within a year there seemed to be enough potential for a congregation to be formed in Hopkinsville.
The first Lutheran service in Hopkinsville took place on February 19, 1961, at the Seventh Day Adventist Church located on Canton Pike and Wooldridge Road. It was led by Pastor Harold Tessmann, Minister of Grace Lutheran Church, Clarksville, Tennessee. On January 7, 1962, formal organization services were held. The Rev. Arthur B. Lossner was installed as the first Pastor, on June 17, 1962.
Ground Breaking for our church, located at 405 Shelia Drive, was held June 2, 1963. Formal dedication of our completed Church building was held January 26, 1964.
Since then our Church has been served by two more Pastors: The Rev. Donald P. Glass and The Rev. Ronald L. Bogenschneider.
Faith Lutheran Church is one of the eight congregations that make up the Paducah Circuit of the Mid-South District of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS).

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

First Baptist Church
First Baptist Church
    On June 6, 1818, a small group of Christian men and women met at the home of John Pursley, about one mile west of Hopkinsville, "to constitute a regular Baptist Church of our Lord Jesus Christ". Elder William Tandy and Elder Jesse Brooks, representatives of the Red River Association, helped in the organization.  E. R. Bradley, clerk pro tem, entered the following names on the church roll:  James Payne, Charles Thrift, Keziah Thrift, John Pursley, Henry Rowland, Robert Slaughter, Lucy Slaughter, Sallie Tally, Grace Pursley, and Winnie, a slave in the home of William Payne.
    They named the church New Providence and chose Brother James Payne as pastor.  Articles of Faith and the Church Covenant were read and adopted.
    On the following day, June 7, the second meeting of the church was held in the Pursley home.  At this time, the clerk, E. R. Bradley, his wife Elizabeth and Sister Sitha Payne were received by letter.  There were also twenty-two negroes received, five of them for baptism.
    At the fourth meeting of the church August 10, at the Pursley home, the members agreed to build a "meeting house".  A committee was appointed with instructions to "procure a lot of land adjoining the town of Hopkinsville on which to build a meeting house 45 feet long and 30 feet wide, to be built in a neat manner, of brick of a good kind, and in a workmanlike manner".
    On September 15, the building committee reported that they had purchased three acres of land and raised a considerable amount of money but had hired no workmen.  The site was at the foot of 13th Street where an academy was later built, and much later the Major Ferrell Schoolhouse.
    Before long the brick walls were up and the roof on.  The small congregation worshipped during the summer months on the bare earth, with no windows and doors.  During the winter they met for services at the court house, which was a rough log structure twenty feet square and temporarily used by other congregations also.
    The building fund was slowly accumulating; several individuals assumed the debts for material and labor, but the church still needed about $545.  On December 16, 1819, the members unanimously decided to "lay a  tax on each member's wealth" to pay the balance owed.  They appointed a committee to search the public records at the court house in order to find out the taxable property of each member.  After considerable research and figuring, the committee decided that "a tax of 51 and 3/4 cents should be levied on each $110 worth of property.  They listed the names and amounts due, and made their report to the church. . . Brother John Pursley's name headed the list.  The record shows that this same method was practiced several times in later years.
    In a meeting at the court house on November 7, 1820, the church passed a resolution that if white male members were absent from the meetings twice in succession, they would be cited to appear at the next meeting and answer for their delinquency to the church.  Later, committees were appointed to council with these absentees.
    The religious observance of "washing the saints' feet" was seriously considered.  A formal resolution was passed and carried over until the next meeting.  The matter was solved by "indefinite postponement".
    Also in 1820, a woman was cited for taking communion with "The Methodist Society".  She confessed and the church decided "to bear with her".  Later she asked for her letter.
    During the early years it was the custom to stand during the singing of hymns and to kneel at prayer.  At various times, such as before selecting a pastor, or ordaining a young preacher, a day was appointed for fasting and prayer.
    In 1821, Archibald and Cyrus, two negro members, were examined and licensed as the first two preachers sent out from the church.
    Zebra Howard was appointed the first sexton to take care of the meeting house and graveyard at a salary of ten dollars per quarter.
    Several members were tried by the church in 1823 for offenses such as slander and "back-biting".
    During the fall of 1838 and spring of 1839, the Cherokee Indians camped overnight in Hopkinsville on their way west;  this removal is known as the "Trail of Tears".  The churches were open to them and citizens invited some to their homes.
    By 1840, Hopkinsville was a growing town, and the New Providence Church was growing too.  The town had over 2,000 citizens, a city government was functioning, and the streets were crudely improved, but sidewalks were still scarce.
    About 1842, the congregation began thinking about a new building.  After due consideration, the trustees bought a site, 60 X 80 feet, on the corner of Main and Hickory Street (now Main and 11th). Construction soon began and the church was in use by 1844.
    From the old minutes we find that the first Sunday School was held on July 6, 1851, with H. Ashford as Superintendent and J. S. Phelps as secretary.  He recorded: "Beautiful Sabbath morning, large school, 58 scholars and 13 teachers, several spectators present.  The pastor visited the school this morning."
    In 1868, the negro members withdrew from the church and Association to form their own.
    Oil lamps were installed downtown by the city in 1875. . . and one was in front of each church.  These lamps were replaced by gas lamps in 1887.
    Bethel female High School, later Bethel College, was erected during the pastorate of A. D. Sears.  From the beginning there were close ties between the school and this church.
    About 1890, plans were set in motion for a third building.  This new building would be located on the corner of Main and 14th Street;  and the fifty year old sanctuary at Main and 11th was to be sold.  A new Gothic Stone Church was dedicated on December 16, 1894.  Construction cost was $28,000 which included electric lights.
    About 1907-8, a Sunday School was started on the west side of town, probably, with Mr. Frank Boyd as the first superintendent.  From this nucleus the Second Baptist Church was organized on April 3, 1910.
    First Church organized a unit of the Baptist Young People's Union in 1909.
    A forerunner of the W.M.U. was the Spurlin Society formed by women in the church who supported Rev. J. U. Spurlin as he preached and organized churches in Christian County.  The first mention of a Women's Missionary Society in the First Church is found in the minutes of the 83rd session of the Bethel Baptist Association in 1907.  However, the 1919 minutes state that their W.M.U. was formed in 1903.
    In 1948 plans were started for a new three story educational building which was finally dedicated on January 4, 1953.  Other already existing educational space was remodeled and redecorated.
    In June 1954, the Ninth Street Baptist Chapel was begun in a rented concrete building.  On December 1, 1957, the chapel worshipped for the first time in the new sanctuary built for them on E. 9th Street.  By September, 1960, the chapel had become the Hillcrest Baptist Church.
    A new parsonage on Cox Mill Road was built in 1959.
    The church considered moving to the suburbs, but finally the decision was made to remain at the present site and buy the real estate adjoining the church.  A beautiful new sanctuary was dedicated on September 12, 1965, and the historic old stone church was razed.
    Under the leadership of Rev. S. M. Maddux the church has expanded its building program and its spiritual endeavors.  In 1972 a group of 16 members participated in the New Life Evangelistic Crusade with the Spanish Baptist Union.
    Again in June, 1973, a team of 11 members helped in a two week crusade in Eibeck, Germany.  Ronald Sholar was group leader for both crusades.
    An accredited kindergarten, sponsored by the church, began in 1971.  At present (1973) the church gives financial assistance to ta church at Napoleon, Ohio.  A bus ministry is being planned at the present time.
Pastors of First Baptist:
James Payne 1818-1819 T. G. Keen 1864-1883
William Tandy 1820-1823 J. N. Prestridge 1884-1889
William Warfield 1823-1826 Charles H. Nash 1890-1905
Robert Rutherford 1827-1833 Millard A. Jenkins 1906-1908
J. M. Pendleton 1833-1836 C. M. Thompson 1909-1918
R. T. Anderson 1839-1841 L. W. Doolan 1919-1924
T. G. Keen 1841-1846 P. C. Walker 1924-1947
Samuel Baker 1846-1849 W. Peyton Thurman 1947-1957
A. D. Sears 1850-1864 S. M. Maddux  1957-

In addition to the pastors this church has also had some outstanding men in the field of educational outreach.

Gilmer Pursley-great grandson of John Pursley, who served for 31 years as Educational Secretary, Treasurer, and General Assistant to the pastor.
Hermon Cochran, first Minister of Education and Music
Malcolm Lunceford, Minister of Education and Music
Warner Baumgartner, Assistant Pastor
Robert Kersey, Minister of Education
John Ashley, Minister of Education
Ronald Sholar, Minister of Music since 1965.

First Baptist Church of Oak Grove

    The First Baptist Church of Oak Grove was conceived in the hearts and minds of the members of Olivet church at Hopewell, Kentucky during the early 1950’s. Prior to 1954, Olivet had been running a Sunday School bus for the children in the Oak Grove area—these children came from the housing areas and trailer courts around Fort Campbell (Fort Campbell had been established as an Army post in the early 1940’s.)
    As Olivet was eight miles from Oak Grove it became impossible for the bus driver to continue making the runs. Some of the members took it upon themselves to transport children back and forth to church. By 1954 Olivet was ready to establish a Sunday School at Oak Grove. A mobile home was purchased for $50.00 and another $50.00 was used for repairs. The trailer was located in J. B. Riggins Trailer Court just a few yards from the present church.
    Precisely at 2:30 P. M. November 7th, the Sunday School began with three departments of young people from ages four to twelve. The spiritual ripeness of the mission field was immediately evident. One of the children upon hearing the words “New Testament,” promptly asked: “What’s that?” If the kids decided to go home and get some water or a coke they got up and ambled off,” Monte Hancock said, adding: “They didn't know anything about Sunday School.” The workers for these early sessions were: Ed Hancock, Mrs. Bob Collins, Mrs. Boyd Hutchinson, and Monte Hancock.
    By spring the mission needed more space than the small forty pupil capacity trailer afforded. On August 7, 1955, the Sunday School moved into more spacious surroundings—a vacant concrete building in Riggins Trailer Court. Being a former Auto Repair Shop, the building didn't have much of a church atmosphere.
    Brother Bob Collins, who had felt the call to the ministry in 1954, became the first pastor of the mission and held a Vacation Bible School there in 1955.
    The G. I. Trailer was sold and the proceeds were used to purchase a piano. Until then Mrs. Clifton Land had provided music by use of her portable field organ.
    During 1956 there were so many children for V. B. S. that an old barn had to be used in addition to the garage. Due to the space problem, the decision was made to seek more land. An acre of land across from the Trailer Court was most desirable, but land being high they doubted it could be purchased at this time. Much to their surprise Mr. and Mrs. Jack Lyons of Nashville offered to give the church the land. After accepting this generous offer, plans were made to construct a new chapel, but the estimated cost for the proposed building was a sobering statistic.
    The building erected by the Trustees of Olivet was not new, but it was ample. An old Army mess haIl and a Troop Barracks building were purchased and moved to the newly acquired land. With the building firmly in place remodeling took place.
    By 1959 the mission surpassed the mother church in attendance for Sunday School. With the coming of Bro. Charles Chaney as pastor in 1950, things really began to happen. More materials were purchased from Fort Campbell and plans were made for construction of a brick building. It was dedicated in 1961. During this time the church also purchased a three bedroom trailer to serve as a parsonage. Ironically, as it may seem, only one year later a brick parsonage was dedicated.
Bro. Harold Skaggs became pastor in 1962 and gave the church the leadership it needed to organize itself properly.
    On November 1, 1964, Olivet acted on the proposed separation and allowed Oak Grove to become a separate organization and to assume all debts.
    Dr. Bob Dean of Nashville was called to serve as interim pastor until Rev. Harley Wilson assumed the pastorate in February of 1970.
    In September, 1972 William Thomas Taylor became the pastor coming from Ralph Avenue in Louisville where he served as Minister of Education and Associate Pastor.

First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)

The Christian Church had its beginnings in 1800 during a great Revival which was held in a clearing in Logan County, Kentucky. This camp meeting included Methodist Circuit riders, Presbyterians, and Baptists, all preaching and bringing the freedom-intoxicated pioneer frontiersmen the Gospel.
They had so long been out from under the influence of the Eastern established churches that they had forgotten for the most part the spiritual needs of their families. They were struck forcibly and hysterically by their neglect of God, and they came by the thousands to hear the Gospel. It truly was a great awakening.
The following year another and even greater revival was held at Cane Ridge Meeting House, in Bourbon County near Paris, Kentucky. Barton Warren Stone was the Minister at Cane Ridge, and he joined with the other ministers, preaching great sermons. Over 25,000 people attended, arriving on foot, on horseback and by wagon. There were at times six or seven preachers, speaking at the same time from tree stumps about the clearing. This lasted about 10 or 12 days, or until they ran out of food, but the movement had begun.
Stone wanted all believers to unite in one fellowship with God, irrespective of their personal doctrine. He wanted dismissal of all creeds, tatting on the Bible as a guide to Spiritual guidance.
In 1810, Alexander Campbell, a young man from Scotland and Ireland, joined him. Both men were young Presbyterians; however, Campbell had seceded from the Presbyterian Church in Scotland, and came to the colonies to join his father who was also a Presbyterian, who had founded Bethany College in Pennsylvania. Both the Campbells agreed and preached as did Barton Stone in the concept that all Christians should put aside the dogmas and doctrines and that all should be of one mind toward God and the Lord Jesus Christ with the belief in “One Lord, One Faith, and One Baptism.”
A small group of men in Christian County were drawn to this concept, and on a plot of land given by Bartholomew Wood, who himself was a part of the group, they built a meeting house on Virginia Street, between Sixth and Seventh Streets. They shared it with the Cumberland Presbyterian
Congregation for awhile, and the Presbyterians withdrew from them in a few years and built their own meeting house. So, in 1832, she church was formed by these men, and was called simply the Christian Church. Barton Stone said that he didn’t want to be called anything but “Christian.”
The Church began to grow, and in 1858, a new Church was constructed on the corner of Ninth and Liberty.
The first minister of the Christian Church in Hopkinsville was Isaiah Boone in 1832; followed by George Parke Street, in 1838; and Henry T. Anderson, 1838. George Street helped purchase Alexander Cross, a Negro slave, in 1853, for missionary service. Cross died enroute to the missionary field.
Also serving as minister of the Church was George Washington Elley, 1843; followed by Jesse Babcock Ferguson,
1848; then William C. Rogers, 1848; then John M. Baranes, 1849; followed by Enos Campbell, 1850-1865; J. M. Long, 1866; William J. Barbee, 1870; then L. H. Stint, February to September 1876; Robert Clifton Cave, January, 1877 to December, 1877; C. K. Marshall, 1878 (founder of Y.M.C.A.
in Hopkinsville); then E. L. Powell, May 1882-October 1883; W. S. Stanley, 1884-1885; L. W. Welsh, 1885-1888; J. W. Mitchell, 1892-1896; Harry D. Smith, 1896-November 1914; J. N. Jessup, January 1915-October 1916; F. F. Walters, January 1917-June 1917; Everett S. Smith, November 1917-1925; Horace Kingsbury, 1925-1930; David M. Walker, 1930-1936; Charles Stephenson, 1936-19443; Monroe G.Schuster, 1940-t948; Roy S. Hulan, 1949-1954; Harry M. Davis, 1955-1967; Leonard W. Boynton, 1968-1974; James M. Mahoney, 1968-1977; Robert M. Franz, 1974-1985.
In 1956, construction was begun on a new Church at Morningside and Walnut Streets, with services beginning there in 1957. It is located on a seven-acre campus, part of which was donated by the Cayce family in memory of their father, Granville Cayce, Sr.
In 1976, several of the members of First Christian were instrumental in the desire to locate the Christian Church Homes in Kentucky, which includes a Christian Health Center, Friendship House, the Village Complex, and most recently, the Chapel House. This is sponsored by the Christian Church of Kentucky, but is open to everyone without regard to church affiliation. This entire complex is a tremendous asset to Hopkinsville.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

First Church of God
The First Church of God was founded in April 1963 by Willard Barr and Charles Almy. First services were held
May 5,1963, in rented facilities, in the labor hall at 1414 East 9th Street. Bro. Willard Barr conducted services until
Rev. Silas Mefford came in April 1964, left in January 1965. Rev. Kenneth Duvall came in January 1965 and left October 1970. During his tenure, a three acre lot at 425 Millbrooke Drive was purchased February 4, 1966, a church building constructed and dedicated September 15, 1968, and the present parsonage at 428 Millbrooke Drive was purchased in November 1966.
From October 1970 to November 1975, the church was led by a succession of pastors beginning with Rev. Ora Davis (interim pastor), Rev. Timothy Mosteller, Rev. Eugene Williams, Rev. Samuel Lovelace (interim pastor).
On February 17, 1976, Rev. Gene Lanham assumed leadership. His pastorate was highlighted with a successful bus ministry and steady growth. Bro. Lanham left in December 1983.
Rev. Gregory Oesch was pastor from June 1984 to November 1985. Our present pastor is Rev. Paul (Sonny) Floyd, Jr.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

First Cumberland Presbyterian
The church was organized 1825/26. A permanent location was established on property secured from George Poindexter, on Russeliville Street, March 23,1841. Moderate growth was evidenced until the Civil War when the building became a hospital for Confederate Forces. At one time Indians moving West in the so called “Trail of Tears” were housed temporarily. Out of the shambles of war the structure became a carriage shop and then a classroom.
By the year 1869, the church was reorganized and evidenced steady growth for the next thirteen years. Then came the “Great Hopkinsville Fire” of October 24, 1882. Out of the ashes the congregation quickly rebuilt the following year.
That building served until January 1, 1961. At that time the congregation moved to its present location, 2701 Fair-court. The church has been a viable entity in the city of Hopkinsville for more than one hundred seventy years. Roots run to great depth and, as may be expected, touch the lives of so many in this community and throughout the world.
Ours is a proud heritage upon which we continue to build for generations yet to come.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church is believed to have been established in 1811 or 1813 by Rev. Gideon Blackburn. The first building was erected 1820 on the property where the current church stands. That building was replaced in 1849.
In 1951, the congregation voted to remain a “downtown” church and extensive remodeling was done in the sanctuary and Sunday School rooms.
In 1867, due to controversies growing out of the Civil War, the Church separated into two groups, the Southern Assembly and the Northern Assembly. The former group retained the church building and took the name of Second Church. The other group took the name of First Church, retained the parsonage property and received a cash settlement.
The First Church, having no building for worship purchased a lot at the corner of 7th and Liberty. Of its officers two of the families are represented today by Miss Emily Kelly and Mr. Wallace Starling. After she reunion in 1943, that church property was sold.
The Second Church went through a series of name changes due in pan to the renaming of streets — Nashville Street Church, Ninth Street Church, and Westminster Church, which it remained until she union with First Church. From early records of the Westminster Church come the familiar names of Dade, McPherson, Morris and Nourse.
The Church has a zeal for evangelism. One example is the establishment of Highland Church, a direct outgrowth of the work of Mrs. Effie Lee Davis and her sister Miss Margaret Morris. In March 1966, the Session began extensive work in Cadiz, KY, now known as Cadiz Presbyterian Chapel. In 1981, the Session began work with the Koreans at Fort Campbell, KY who are now known as the Korean Presbyterian Church.
Dr. David B. Conley has been pastor of the Hopkinsville Church since January 1973.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew


Carman King, Pastor, D. Mode Spears, Associate Pastor, Elaine Cook, Minister of Music and Education, Dorothy Joiner, Financial Secretary, and Marilyn Forbis, Secretary are the current Church staff.
Bishop Asbory’s appointment of James Haw and Benjamin Ogden in 1786 to preach in Kentucky marks the begining of the history of the Hopkinsville First United Methodist Church. The work of those intrepid Circuit Riders and the later Brush Arhor and Camp Meetings resulted in the organization of a Methodist Society in Hopkinsville. This later became a part of a circuit and in 1820, a station. That year the first of the Hopkinsville Methodist Churches was built for $200.00 The pastor was paid $65.00 a year.
The Tennessee Conference met in Hopkinsville in 1820 and formed the Kentucky Conference. Of the twelve confer ences Hopkinsville has entertained, four have been of historical significance — the first session of the Kentucky Conference in 1820, the first session of the Louisville Conference in 1846, the Jubilee session in 1896, and the Centenary in 1946. The Jubilee session of the United Methodist Women was held in 1928 in Hopkinsville.
In 1849, the congregation moved to a new church building on Ninth Street which cost $6,000.00 to erect. The pastor’s salary had grown to $450.00 a year.
In March 1917, a new church on the corner of Main at Thirteenth had been completed at a cost of $15,000.00. An education building costing $125,000.00 was added in 1954. This church has suffered two devastating fires, the loss amounting to $115,000.00.
Ministers, missionaries and deaconesses have gone out from the church to various parts of the world. Throughout its history, the church has supported missionaries and mission work. In all Conference drives for missions, education, hospitals, childrens homes, retirement homes and pension funds, First Methodist has oversubscribed its quota. It has given generously to locai needs having paid off the building debt on Freeman’s Chapel, supported a local mission church, helped organize and finance St. Johns and Christian Heights Methodist Churches. It has opened its doors to flood victims, has several times administered to Ft. Campbell service men and through its emergency fund, helped the needy.
Modem equipment has been installed in recent years in the church and the building has been redecorated when needed. Through bequests, memorials, and other substantial gifts, adequate parking space has been secured, new pavements laid, a church bus and grand piano purchased, carpet, pew cushions and hearing aids added, and old fueniture replaced. An exceptionaily fine library of more than 4,000 books has been installed and the kitchen completely modernized. A competent staff serves Wednesday night family suppers, Keenager luncheons, Methodist Men’s dinners, and other special meals.
The church is efficiently organized and is open every day of the week. It seems like a busy workshop where dedicated members meet with groups or committees or use their talents in various odd jobs. The church is fortunate in having so many people, young and old, who so generously serve their church.
During its one hundred sixty-six years, First Church has grown in membership from 181 to 1327, the budget from $100.00 to $318,543.00 for 1986, the value of the church building from $200.00 to $1,474,000.00, with other church property worth over $123,500.00. Church attendance has continued to grow and the staff has been increased from one to ten.
Throughout the years, Hopkinsville First United Methodist Church has been blessed with its ministers and their wives and with its capable lay leadership.
Governor Edward T. Breathitt and his family are descendants of the Rev. Mr. Ira Ellis, one of the first recording stewards and a charter member. William McCarroll is the great grandson of the Rev. Mr. Ira Ellis. There are many members of the church who are descendants of past ministers of the church.

1820-Andrew Monroe, 1821-John Johnson, 1822-John Johnson, 1823-Thomas A. Morris, 1824-Simon L. Buckner, 1825-Richard Corwine, 1826-John S. Barger, 1827-28-Win. W. McReynolds, 1829-Greenup Kelly, 1830-A.H. Stem- mona, 183 l-H.J. Evans, 1832-Thomas W. Chandler, 1833-John Beatty, 1834-W.S. Evans, 1835-36-W.S. McMurry, 1836-Andrew McLaughlin, 1837-Gilbert Kelly (Asst.), N.H. Lee, 1838-Gilbert Kelly (Asst.), 1839-Gilbert Kelly (Asst.), 1840-lB. Perry (Asst.), 1841-Richard Holding, 1842-43-Thomas Bottomley, 1 844-45-Abram Long, A.H.Redford, 1846-AW. Browder (Asat.), 1847-J. Young, 1848-J.S. Wools, 1849.50-Samuel Johnson, 1851-J.W. Kasey, 1852-J.S. Wools, 1853-F.M. English, 1854-55-J.H. Owen, 1856- J. Maxwell, 1857-60-FA. Morris, 1861-Gideon Gooch, 1862-Dennis Spurrier, 1863-J.C. Petrie, 1864-66-SW. Spear, 1867-70-J.C. Petrie, 1871-74-Thomas Bottomley, 1875-71- John W. Lewis, 1879-81-Samuel R. Brewer, 1882-85-E.W. Bottomley, 1886-89-John W. Lewis, 1890-92-Granville W. Lyon, 1893-96-Henry C. Settle, 1897-99-W.K. Piner, 1900-J.T. Rushing, 1901-04-EL. Southgate, 1905-06-AP. Lyon, 1907-09-George H. Means, 1910-1913-Arthur R. Kasey, 1914-17-Lewis Powell, 1918-24-Arthur R. Kasey, 1925-27- RB. Grider, SA. Arnold, 1928-32-Paul Shell Powell, 1933-37-lW. Weldon, 1938-43-Arthur R. Kasey, 1944-48-AC. Johnson, 1949-52-William S. Bolles, 1953-55-D. Mode Spears, 1956-59-Fred Pfisterer, 1960-63-Marvin B. Whitiner, 1964-70-James S. Curry, 1971-76-Kermit E. Flener, 1977-83-Howard H. Willen, 1984-86-L. Carman King.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Flat Lick Cumberland Presbyterian Church

The early church, a log structure, located in Trigg County was moved (according to forefathers) from Red Hill at the edge of Flat Lick swamp about two and one-fourth miles west of LaFayette, Ky. on the old Canton road.
The first record of the church session meeting was on April 12, 1871. Rev. Israel Green Joiner was Moderator. Elder N. Joiner was appointed delegate to Presbytery. The next session on Sept. 24, 1871, appointed Elder Jonathan Joiner to attend the next meeting of Presbytery.
On July 20, 1872, Rev. Israel Green Joiner, Rev. Reeves and four elders present voted to build a new church. There is no record other than older members of the Ellis family stated it was built in 1872.
Rev. Israel 0. Joiner served many years as pastor at different intervals, probably eleven years being his longest term. Others who served were Reverends S. M. Griffin, N. E. Bagwell, J. A. Dorris, W. R. M. Crump, N. C. Leeper, J. R. King, C. T. Houcher, F. L. McDowell, W. W. Rutherford, Ray Wigginton, Z. F. Tucker, Eugene Lindsey, Robert Johnson, Joe Pat Thornton, Cel Phelps and the present pastor Robert Dixon. Many of these were there more than once with Rev. F. L. McDowell serving twenty-five years the longest term continuous and Rev. Uel Phelps for thirteen years before his retirement.
On November 21, 1905 the land for she church cemetery was purchased.
A record dated June 30, 1906 states that on that day the Flat Lick congregation solemnly declared to remain Cumberland Presbyterians.
The first presbytery to meet with Flat Lick Church that is recorded was October 1908 and the church was host so presbytery in the years 1917 fall session, 1925, 1935, 1945, 1953, 1965, 1974 and 1979.
In the spring of 1922, the old church was rolled aside and a new building erected. The first services held in the new church were on Saturday afternoon previous to the dedication service on she fourth Sunday in November 1922. Rev. J. L. Hudgins of Nashville, Tn. brought the message. Rev. F. L. McDowell was the pastor and continued until his death in March 1940.
The church session called Rev. W. W. Rutherford as pastor, effective June 1940. The next two years was probably the darkest period for the members of the church. On July 18, 1941, a site for a U. S. Army Post, known today as Fort Campbell was selected on the Ky. Tennessee border. This large tract of land being purchased by the Federal Government meant a mass movement of many people, buildings, and cemeteries from two states. Land for a new cemetery was purchased located on highway 107 sen miles southwest of Hopkinsville in Christian County. Flat Lick Church Cemetery was moved as were other area cemeteries to this new location.
C.N. Dunn, H. C. Hancock and Ira Ellis met with representatives of she Federal Government regarding the possibility of keeping she church building. The agreement was made and the church building had to be moved by Sept. 19, 1942. Work began soon. Last service was held on March 21, 1942. The new building site was on an adjoining lot to cemetery on highway 107 in Christian County.
Upon completion, the newly erected church looked exactly like it had before moving. The first services were held in February 1943 with Rev. W. W. Rutherford still pastor. Sunday School was reorganized in August.
Princeton Presbytery met with the church in October 1945. Rev. W. W. Rutherford resigned as pastor December 1948, and was succeeded by Rev. Ray Wigginton, in February 1949. He resigned in December 1954. Rev. Z. F. Tucker served as pastor from January 1955 through March 1962. During the 50’s a Cumberland Presbyterian Women’s Organization, Youth Fellowship and Vacation Church School were instituted.
Since the church has been relocated there have been many changes and improvements in the building over the years. The interior has been completely redecorated with new floors, carpeting, lighting and central heating and cooling system. New piano and organ have been purchased and pews refinished. Basement was dug and Sunday School classrooms built. Later a large annex to the Sanctuary was built with Pastor’s Study and Office, kitchen, restrooms, fellowship hall and indoor plumbing, exterior covered with brick, stained glass windows, paved walks and area landscaping.
During April 1962, Rev. Eugene Lindsey came as pastor and the following year a lot was purchased and a Masse built for our minister. It was completed in July 1964. This was a big step forward to have a minister located near by and full time church services.
Following the end of Bro. Lindseys pastorate, Rev. Robert Johnson was hired in June of 1967 and continued through 1968. During his term the system of rotation of elders was adopted.
After a period without a pastor Rev. Joe Pat Thornton served the church for three years before his leaving in May 1972.
Rev. Uel Phelps began in June 1972 and served thirtees years, second to the longest pastorate.
Princeton Presbytery has met nine times with the Flat Lick Congregation during these years.
Rev. Robert Dixon is now pastor, assuming his duties on February 1, 1986.

Family Histories of Christian County 1797-1986
Reprinted with permission ©1986 Christian County Genealogical Society
©William Turner  ©Jim Killibrew

Fruit Hill Baptist Church
    Fruit Hill Baptist Church had its beginnings in a tobacco barn owned by Morris Ray West during 1945.  For two years afterwards the members met at the home of Mrs. Dalton Young.
    The present building was begun in 1947 and there have been many changes since that time.  So anxious were the members to start worshipping in their new building that they moved in while there was still a dirt floor.  Soon a floor of wood and tar was added, then the present cement floor was added.  The ceilings have been lowered to conserve heat and the metal roof has been replaced by a shingled one.  The young people of the church have taken a real interest during the past year and it seems this struggling church is about to blossom.
    Pastors since 1951:
James A. Caudle 1951-1956, 1957 Billy Bunch 1964-1970, 1971
M. D. Austin 1958-1960 Steve Clark 1972-
W. R. Evans 1961-1963

All rights reserved.
Return To Christian County Index